PDA

View Full Version : oil Q?

osur866
07-16-2007, 10:43 PM
What's your guys thoughts on using Royal Purple Synt. oil in a stock motor? Engine has 60hrs. on it?? Thanks, Steve

RedDog
07-17-2007, 12:16 PM
seeing as how you only have 16 posts I guess I can forgive you for asking a question like that -

NOT!

wagspe208
07-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Royal purple is excellent oil. It is also expensive. If you want to run synthetic oil, do it. I'd run something more readily available, at your locaL auto parts store.
Many myths about synthetic oil. Many guys repeat what they hear without knowledge.
Do NOT run synthetic oil of any kind in a new engine. 60 hours is tons of time. Brand new will cause problems.
Wags

mrfixxall
07-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Do NOT run synthetic oil of any kind in a new engine. 60 hours is tons of time. Brand new will cause problems.
Wags

sorry i cant agree with that answer,,ran mine for 30 min to brake in the cam with 10 w 30...drained the oil over night and dumped mobile 1 15 w 50 in it and a m1 302 mobile 1 filter and have been beat the crap out of my motor for 7 yrs and still running strong...gm uses synthedics rite from the factory in their corvette motors and the diffs and they seem to have no problems so i would run synthedics in a new engine..

blackhawk
07-17-2007, 01:37 PM
sorry i cant agree with that answer,,ran mine for 30 min to brake in the cam with 10 w 30...drained the oil over night and dumped mobile 1 15 w 50 in it and a m1 302 mobile 1 filter and have been beat the crap out of my motor for 7 yrs and still running strong...gm uses synthedics rite from the factory in their corvette motors and the diffs and they seem to have no problems so i would run synthedics in a new engine..

My Volvo 5.7GXi came with synthetic from the factory.

Barry Eller
07-17-2007, 01:46 PM
New Corvettes and new Cadillacs come with synthetic from the factory also.

I just bought 4 gallons of Delo 400 30W, and 2 oil filters for the 502. I hope to fire it off this week. I do have hydraulic roller lifters and I will run it on the hose for a while to check for leaks and such. I will then change the oil and filter after running for approx 2 hours. Then back to changing (with Delo 400) every 25 hours.

I use Mobil 1 in my Mustang GT and Chevrolet Silverado. "Dino" for the Donzi.

VetteLT193
07-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Royal purple is excellent oil. It is also expensive. If you want to run synthetic oil, do it. I'd run something more readily available, at your locaL auto parts store.
Many myths about synthetic oil. Many guys repeat what they hear without knowledge.
Wags

Royal purple is available at Pep Boys and Wal Mart in my area, and is generally the same price as Mobil 1.

Synthetic is perfectly fine in new engines, one of the myths of synthetic is that is screws up break in. As previously mentioned Corvettes are factory filled with Mobil 1. What most people don't know is that the factory has been doing that since the 1992 model year. GM dumped the oil cooler in that year as well, because they reported the synthetic kept the oil so much cooler it was no longer necessary.

I run Mobil 1 in everything I own (even my 4 stroke weed whacker has it) and have NEVER had a problem with it.

wagspe208
07-17-2007, 07:18 PM
You appearantly can get by with it in stock engines as you guys have. It is not recommended in race engines as finer cylinder wall finishes will cause issues requiring a longer initial ring seat. This also may not be an issue with engines that run hours at a time. It is an issue in engines that run 20 nights before a rebuild, or seconds at a time.
Air compressor guys had the same issues with oil consumpion when they first started putting syn oil in their compressors from the factory..as did Harley Davidson
Wags

mrfixxall
07-17-2007, 08:00 PM
You appearantly can get by with it in stock engines as you guys have. It is not recommended in race engines as finer cylinder wall finishes will cause issues requiring a longer initial ring seat. This also may not be an issue with engines that run hours at a time. It is an issue in engines that run 20 nights before a rebuild, or seconds at a time.
Air compressor guys had the same issues with oil consumpion when they first started putting syn oil in their compressors from the factory..as did Harley Davidson
Wags

i do have a race engine in my boat with plasma moly rings and i did finish the boars off with fine stones, still no issues..

But i get what your saying:)

Barry Eller
07-17-2007, 08:09 PM
i do have a race engine in my boat with plasma moly rings

I have new plasma moly rings too! I just hope it starts...2 or 3 days away...

It just makes sense to use a high quality non-synthetic oil in a boat, temperatures never reach automobile degrees. These are BOAT ENGINES, not high RPM automobiles that you change oil every 3000 miles or whatever your preference is. Boats are always under a load,(think...1st gear, up hill all the time) change oil often. Most of us have hour meters to keep up with the time.

gold-n-rod
07-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Wags

Mobil One 20-50 V-Twin oil works best for me!!!!!

wagspe208
07-17-2007, 10:04 PM
I know on my drag piece after a rebuild it takes two passes to get back to time after time et. We added problend on a fresh engine once (accident, thrashing to get it back together) and it took us a weekend of passes to get our et back to normal (slow, some more blowby until seated).
Now, unlike a pleasure boat, this engine only runs a couple hundred passes beforer a freshen up. 600 grit cylinder finish, moly rings.
Wags
Please do not get me wrong. I am a synthetic oil user and I believe in it firmly.

osur866
07-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Reason I ask is according to the mecrury site and my owners manual in order of perfernce it lists 1) mercury quicksilver synthetic blend,nmma fc-w, 4-cycle oil 2)mecury/ Quicksilver 25w40 nmma fc-w rated, 3) any nmma rated fc-w rated. 4) mecury/quicksilver 4-cycle 25w-40, old formulation, 5) comes the straight weights 40,30,20. If mercury didn't want people to use or if synthetic is bad for new engines then way would they list it as the number one choice? I can see this is a touchy subject? I didn't mean to stir-up a heated debate. www.mercurymarine.com/serviceandwarranty/mercuiserfaqs/fueloil.php

osur866
07-17-2007, 10:44 PM
As far as Reddog, didn't mean to hit a nerve, I didn't realize my question was soo dumb since I only have what 16 posts, I thought that's why this board was here was to ask questions and learn, Have I missed something or do I not understand?? :boggled::boggled:

mrfixxall
07-17-2007, 10:54 PM
As far as Reddog, didn't mean to hit a nerve, I didn't realize my question was soo dumb since I only have what 16 posts, I thought that's why this board was here was to ask questions and learn, Have I missed something or do I not understand?? :boggled::boggled:

866 just take things here with a grane of salt,,thats some way of people saying Welcome to the board...mabe he had a bad expierance with royal purple..:wink:

osur866
07-17-2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks, Fixxall, I just wanted peoples opionion, and I got it.I'll either go with mecury syntheitc or the plain mecury 25-40. It's a stock engine and that's what the manual calls for. Steve

Dr. Dan
07-18-2007, 05:13 AM
:smash:Wrong!!!! the reason Red Dog said what he said is that there are some ridiculous opinions on a couple of nerve busting topics...related to high performance motors... and Donzi's. Many of these Topics can easily be found by utilizing the Search Feature on the "Performance Section"...and see what the real experts have said in the past.

I can tell you, Oil, Trailer Tires, Gas Tanks to foam or not..., and a couple of other topics bring out an absolute viceral response from some people on this board....

And to be honest it is now considered more like "Politics and Religion" or Farting in an empty church pew.... loudly! It all stinks and it makes alot of noise.... but in the end... it really doesn't make a hell of alot of difference... cause the Sun still rises, the Tides still flow...and remember to always change your underwear before visiting your Physician.

And the questions keep coming up on the Donzi Registry... so enjoy the knowledge here... use the Search Feature... and settle down with some coffee or your favorite beverage :beer:... you will learn alot.

Welcome:wavey:

Doc of the Opinionless Nuetered Cats & Stagnant Republicans :spongebob:

RedDog
07-18-2007, 08:12 AM
Doc - you forgot weenie bars, windshields, and Bimini tops..............................................

sometimes its best to just not go there