PDA

View Full Version : Engine Breakin???

Kirbyvv
07-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Blew the old SBC in the X-18 a week ago. A new 300 hp SBC is going in this week. Most of my old parts will transfer over except intake manifold and flywheel. Does anyone have any pointers on breakin proceedures? Since it's a new engine I'm thinking that maybe I should go with sythetic oil. I remember something about breaking it in with regular oil and then switching at the first change. I've never had a new engine before any pointers would be great.

BigGrizzly
07-16-2007, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't use synthetics on break in. Just don't keep the throttle in one position or get it hot. Work your way up with the engine RPMs. The new engines are easier to break in than the 1960 units. Just don't beat the stuffing out of it. This is the hard part, you must use it often at least once a weekend.

Cuda
07-16-2007, 07:17 PM
This is the hard part, you must use it often at least once a weekend.
I'm too far away, otherwise I'd volunteer for the hard part for you. That's just how I roll. :)

jl1962
07-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Kirby,

I hate to say it, but Cuda's right. The sooner you realize it the better. Just drop the keys at our place on your way back to work. I swear I'll keep it under 7000rpms - if that's what it takes - I'll do it. :wink:

Seriously, can't wait to check it out.

Long may you run!

Jay

mrfixxall
07-17-2007, 12:26 AM
drive it like you stole it,,,in other words brake it in like you drive it...my motor is 400 + hp and i beat the crap out of it the first day it saw water..havnt had any issues and still spinning it at 6200...

BigGrizzly
07-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Kirby see how many people want to help you out, you have many friends here.

Kirbyvv
07-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks gang, think I'll keep close tabs on the keys.
wow, just realized I'll get to break in the new solas and motor together.

wagspe208
07-17-2007, 12:58 PM
The first 30 minutes of your engnes life will determine its longevity.
I assume it is not a hydraulic roller lifter engine.?? If it is, start it and run it. Not the crap out of it, but run it.
If it IS a hydraulic lifter (meaning flat tappet hyd) do as follows for long life.
1) Do NOT use synthetic oil for break in. Wait till the first change is correct...ask HD how it works.
Many cam manufacturers are in fact recommending rotella now a days. Reasoning is..EPA emission standards has caused a reduction in the sulfur contend of petroleum oils. This in effect decreases some of the load bearing capabilities of the oil. Diesel (rotella) isn't affected by these standsards. (This is acording to cam guys...I don't know)
I personally use a straight weight racing oil for the first run. (again, no detergent, more lubricating addatives, no cleaning ablilities) Then change. I will use 30 or 40w.
2) Prime the engine using a drill powered primer shaft. Don't just do it for a few seconds, do it for a few minutes. It takes quite a while for oil to get through lifters, up through pushrods, to rockers, etc. Prime, Prime, Prime!
3) Set distributor timing as close as possible. (Advanced is a little better than retarted. Start engine and IMMEDIATELY bring it up to 2500 rpm to 3000 rpm's and let it run. It must run at these rpm's for 30 minutes. REASON IS....camshaft/lifter break in. You are raising the rpm's to maximize oil flow to cam and lifters. At an idle, not much oil if flinging off the rods lubing the cam, also, not as much running down from the top. More oil, more lube, more lube, easier for the cam and lifters to lap themselves in to each other. DO NOT IDLE THE ENGINE FOR THE FIRST 30 MINUTES. Run it on the hose, it will be fine.
4) after that, set timing, carb, and run the hell out of it.

Break in is most important for cam and lifters. Not as critical with small cams, the bigger they get, the more critical it is.
If you hear nothing, hear this....do not idle the engine for the first 30 minutes, do not just do a quick start just to hear how it sounds. You have spent alot of money, don't throw it away now.
Wags

mrfixxall
07-17-2007, 01:21 PM
Blew the old SBC in the X-18 a week ago. A new 300 hp SBC is going in this week. Most of my old parts will transfer over except intake manifold and flywheel. Does anyone have any pointers on breakin proceedures? Since it's a new engine I'm thinking that maybe I should go with sythetic oil. I remember something about breaking it in with regular oil and then switching at the first change. I've never had a new engine before any pointers would be great.

Make sure your flywheel fits in the volvo housing first,,,you may have to change the the starter too,,if you need a small diameter flywhel with a 1 piece rear main seal let me know i have one..(oe volvo)