PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Done The Gray's Reef Passage On Lk. Michigan?

Carl C
07-16-2007, 02:07 PM
In order to get to the Straits of Mackinac, and the world's TENTH longest suspension bridge, via the Lake Michigan shoreline you must pass through Gray's Reef. This looks pretty treacherous on the charts and you could get in big trouble if you missed a buoy:eek!:. Has anyone here gone through Gray's Reef Passage?

Sweet little 16
07-16-2007, 02:39 PM
In order to get to the Straits of Mackinac, and the world's third longest suspension bridge, via the Lake Michigan shoreline you must pass through Gray's Reef. This looks pretty treacherous on the charts and you could get in big trouble if you missed a buoy:eek!:. Has anyone here gone through Gray's Reef Passage?:boat:

the United States 3 rd longest suspension bridge

10 th over all in the world

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_suspension_bridges

Carl C
07-16-2007, 03:36 PM
the United States 3 rd longest suspension bridge
10 th over all in the world
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_suspension_bridgesYup, you are right! Anyway our Mighty Mac is 50 years old this year and there are lots of special things going on to celebrate. I sent ya some rep power for catching my goof.:bonk:

lee
07-16-2007, 04:12 PM
go too local notice to mariners will give you the latest updates

Rootsy
07-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Carl,

Unless ummm you're piloting a laker I don't think you'll have any issues... ;)

Carl C
07-16-2007, 07:22 PM
I missed the buoys for the Middle Channel on St. Clair and ended up in a foot and a half of water:redface:. Good thing the bottom is muck! It looks like this area is deeper but still maybe not good for a big water rookie like me.:boggled:I will drive under the bridge sometime but probably from the other side.:yes:Unless we go for it August 12.:)

Ranman
07-17-2007, 07:53 AM
It looks pretty easy breezy to me. There's virtually noting on the charts to worry about. Even if you miss the markers by a mile you'd be fine in a 22. In fact I'd prolly plot my course closer to the shoreline and disregard the markers to keep things simpler.

St. Clair is a different animal. Out on LSC you can get into 1' of water in a hurry if you don't know where you're going. I wouldn't let anything on those charts you posted worry you much.