PDA

View Full Version : 35 zfc prop choice

rockinmama
07-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Greetings from SC!
I am new to this board, it seems like there are alot of quality people on here with alot of good knowledge.

I have a 2004 35' zfc (center console with cuddy) running triple 250 optimax xs's with 400 hours on two and a brand new powerhead on 1. I am currently running 24 p bravo 1 propellers. the redline for these motors are 5850. at w.o.t., i hit around 68 mph gps. i have once seen 70. I am looking to improve my top end speed by 6-8, maybe 10 mph.
What are my options?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Last Real Texan
07-16-2007, 08:31 PM
Greetings from SC!
I am new to this board, it seems like there are alot of quality people on here with alot of good knowledge.
I have a 2004 35' zfc (center console with cuddy) running triple 250 optimax xs's with 400 hours on two and a brand new powerhead on 1. I am currently running 24 p bravo 1 propellers. the redline for these motors are 5850. at w.o.t., i hit around 68 mph gps. i have once seen 70. I am looking to improve my top end speed by 6-8, maybe 10 mph.
What are my options?
Any suggestions appreciated.
Well welcome and keep looking around the site.... to answer you question in a hurry.....a fourth motor.............not much info on the center consoles that I have been able to find. I am in the process of looking to make the change from ZX series sportboat to a ZF series CC cuddy. you have a very nice ride there and it is what I am leaning towards as far as the 35 ZF Cuddy.....I would like to have a pair of 300's instead.... trips.....love'm just cant feed e'm.
Back to your post.......Short of getting everything out of the boat and runningit with a drop of gas and fumes to run on, props are not going to give you 6-8 or even 10 MPH........ what RPM are you running now @ WOT, 5850? I thought the 250 XS would spin to 6100 before the rev limiter kicked in....You could lab the props but that will not get you more than 1-2 MPH under ideal circumstances....68 is moving with that ride.....save the upgrades for fuel instead.
Bryan

rockinmama
07-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Well welcome and keep looking around the site.... to answer you question in a hurry.....a fourth motor.............not much info on the center consoles that I have been able to find. I am in the process of looking to make the change from ZX series sportboat to a ZF series CC cuddy. you have a very nice ride there and it is what I am leaning towards as far as the 35 ZF Cuddy.....I would like to have a pair of 300's instead.... trips.....love'm just cant feed e'm.
Back to your post.......Short of getting everything out of the boat and runningit with a drop of gas and fumes to run on, props are not going to give you 6-8 or even 10 MPH........ what RPM are you running now @ WOT, 5850? I thought the 250 XS would spin to 6100 before the rev limiter kicked in....You could lab the props but that will not get you more than 1-2 MPH under ideal circumstances....68 is moving with that ride.....save the upgrades for fuel instead.
Bryan

bryan,

Thank you for your fast reply.
I wish i could strap on a fourth motor..but jeez, what a hassle that would be lol. the brand new 35's dont even come with trips..much less quads. the 35 is really only a foot or so longer than the 32, so im pretty maxxed out on weight for motors.

I have actually ran the boat with practically nothing in it, with no fuel, and it does not help out my top end....my donz simply turns into a jet ski and gets me to 68 like no other. i have talked to Boger Props about my situation and they said that they found bravo 1's to be great out of the hole, but simply hit a wall when it came to top end...they suggested me to try out a 25 or 26p mirage... i havent done so yet, because mercury racing's website says that the bravo one actually has a bigger top end of 60+. do you (or anyone) know what would be wrong trying a maxximus 24p? it says that they are stern drive props, but is there that much difference?

...maybe i should just strap on 3 350 yammis.....lmao
thank you for your good response!

my need for speed continues...

rockinmama
07-17-2007, 11:02 AM
problem solved!!!

contacted mercury racing this morning and told him my dillema. he ran the calculator and is sending me 3 26p lab finished bravo unos. the calc says it will give me 5.5 mph more.. as amazing as that will be.. currently my slip is 10%, ran the boat last night and im topping out at 5650 with 340 gallons of fuel.
so on low fuel with my new props.........good God.:eek!:

So...basically...ill be able to out run a jet ski.

ill post test results/pics in a while..he said a week to deliver to my dealer.

RickyR
07-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Where in SC are you?
I'm in Charleston, and just got a 35 ZFC also. I'm still a slow poke with just a pair of 250's.
Donzi likes the 4 blade Revolution props, but you may be needing more pitch and diameter than the Rev 4's will allow.
Is your center engine a 30" shaft? I have read where some of the king fish guys run a different pitch on that engine for some reason.
Maybe I'll see you around.
Ricky...seeya...

Last Real Texan
07-17-2007, 08:31 PM
problem solved!!!
contacted mercury racing this morning and told him my dillema. he ran the calculator and is sending me 3 26p lab finished bravo unos. the calc says it will give me 5.5 mph more.. as amazing as that will be.. currently my slip is 10%, ran the boat last night and im topping out at 5650 with 340 gallons of fuel.
so on low fuel with my new props.........good God.:eek!:
So...basically...ill be able to out run a jet ski.
ill post test results/pics in a while..he said a week to deliver to my dealer.
Sounds to me that you are going in the right direction ...trying to get some more revs out of the motors...Did you buy these props or is it part of their try it before you buy it program.....Stepping up in pitch should off set the loss in the cruise rpm's as far as slip goes with a labbed prop ...you should be able to turn those labbed 26 's the same revs as you are turning the stock 24's.
Good Luck and keep us posted. and on a side note, keep your eyes open for a nice early 2000 -2003 35 or 32 ZFC for me. I am looking to get into a more utilitarian ride.

Bryan

rockinmama
07-17-2007, 09:35 PM
ricky-
hey man. nice to see another donzi 35 owner around. im actually in florence, and weve always fished out of georgetown.

--funny you mention the center motor. when i bought my boat it had 2 24's on the outside motors, and a 25 on the middle motor. my dealer told me it gave me 1mph more.. but it was a true strain to make it plane with the middle motor and one outside motor when i blew a powerhead..so i switched it back to a stock 24. would love to see pics of your boat...there are only 3 in florence county...2 being 32's.

bryan-
preciate all the help man. yeah, the prop guy at merc said that labbing the 26's wouldnt suck off any rpm's by adding them on.. on a side note, when i ran the boat it did have all 350 gallons full..so that will be a big factor.no, im not doing the try before you buy deal...man at merc racing says that if they dont work, and there in good shape, he would trade them out for no cost for another pitch, or, just refund me with a 5% stocking fee.

ill definitely keep my eyes open for your future boat!

tight lines,
jay

rockinmama
07-19-2007, 02:17 PM
rickyr- im out of florence..and we always fish out of georgetown ever since we had our 48 viking a few years back..would love to see your pics of your new boat..congrats on the new boat! the best day of your life is the day you sell your boat and the day you buy a new one! lmao

bryan-
yeah, that is exactly what mercury racing said, about the 26 labbed props being able to spin the same rpms as the 24 stock props. i didnt do the tryit before you buy it program...i dont know if it was available or not? he simply told me if that pitch didnt work, they will trade them in for a bigger or smaller pitched prop for no cost, even though it is labbed.
we'll definitely keep our eyes open for your new cuddy!

ill post up some results as soon as we get the props in and my new powerhead completely broken in (10 hours).

tight lines-
Jay