PDA

View Full Version : Power steering question

Donzigo
07-14-2007, 08:37 AM
I just installed 2 496 HO engines in Big-D. While out on the first test run, the power steering wants to take off to the right, when turned so far. It seems to have no feel to it, then it goes to the right and catches. It's full of fluid. Any ideas?

BigGrizzly
07-14-2007, 09:42 AM
unless it is the old power steering it is an adjustment. If it is the old one they solid mounted or tie wrapped the free floating cable. If the cable is mounted too tight it will always pull to one side. I have seen this done several times. What happens is the spool valve doesn't move freely, therefore causes an unbalance.

Donzigo
07-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the reply Randy. (I heard that nate had a great time in Ga).

The power steering unit is a new one; so, I'm lost. I thought it might need to be bleed, if it had air in the cylinder. It acts that way. It works fine then when I turn it tot he right, it seems like there is no feel to the steering wheel, then it takes off and ctches again.

Lost............

BigGrizzly
07-14-2007, 10:30 AM
When I said New I meant new style the type with a Brazilian valve. Try cranking hard left then right several times to see if that helps to purge it. Make sure the steering cable is free floating don't bind it up in any way. Remember only one change at a time, it really is faster in the long run.

Donzigo
07-14-2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks, I'll try that. It's brand new, just came out of the engine box with the 496hos. So, if I'm reading this right, there is a purge valve that works when the wheel is turned all the way left. Great.........I'll try it and let you know.

I've been working on this project of repowering and new gimbols & Bravo x drives for about 5 weeks, now. It's been hard and then my son's trailer had to be rebuilt, which we did ourselves, which was a killer project. I am going to by an air compressor. I'm so tired of wrenching on 3/4 nuts. It would have gone so much faster and wouldn't have laid us out, working in the 95 degree Florida sun.

Richard