PDA

View Full Version : 16 vs 18

smokediver
07-13-2007, 09:53 PM
I know there is a thread of 18 vs. 22 but what about the 16 and 18 ? I have rode in Bob's and Last Tango's 18 but are there 16 owners that went to an 18 and is there a big difference in ride? Does the 2 feet make a big difference ?thanks !!!

need for speed
07-14-2007, 07:33 AM
:wink:go for a 22~~~

Sweet little 16
07-14-2007, 09:38 AM
the biggest gain in an 18 is in the ride for your passengers or to be correct your front passenger( unless you have a 2+2 seat 16) they get their own seat but after that the rides are pretty much the same the 18 would dege out the 16 in the same conditions if the conditions make you uncomfortable in a 16 the 18 is not going to be that much more comfortable, and for those of the 3-5 footer club next time you're out on a calm day anchored measure from the nose to the water at idle anything bigger than a 2 footer breaks across the deck in our 16, so take that I zip across 3-5 footers with a grain of salt in an 18 or 16 like a butterfly landing with sore feet ;)

BigGrizzly
07-14-2007, 10:08 AM
We have one of everyone, a 16, 18, 22 and a 22ZX. My personal opinion is that PER foot the 16 rides better than anything in its class. That isn't saying the 18 doesn't ride better, but for the 2 feet isn't like 2 feet on say a Cobia When you add 2 feet to another style boat the difference is monumental. Regardless of what is said 70 MPH + in a 16 0r 18 is a hand full regardless of steering configuration. The final decision has to be yours. I suggest you try both on the same rough day. I have seen Jkeef run with me at Sota and not looking bad at all. There is a difference but small. If you find one your in love with go for it. If not save your money until one comes around. I was going to buy a 27, but changed my mind because if it is rough enough for a 27 I don't want to be there anyway and too much work to drive.

zelatore
07-14-2007, 01:26 PM
so take that I zip across 3-5 footers with a grain of salt in an 18 or 16 like a butterfly landing with sore feet ;)

Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking!

I don't know how many times I've heard people at my office talk about wave size either in the bay, on the ocean, or in the delta. 9 times out of 10, I just sort of let them ramble on about how big it was (4 to 6 is a common statement) then just sort of say 'yeah....ok' and go on about my buisness knowing that if those guys had ever actually seen a 6' wave they would have wet theirselves (and then told everybody it was 20').

Most likely, the '4 to 6 foot' they were in, usually on the bay, was about half that. I also like how they talk about swells on the bay, and sometimes even in the delta. Er, the only place you'll see a swell on the bay is direclty in front of the gate pall...everything else is wind waves or wakes. That's also why most of them over-estimate the size of the wave in my opinion...SF Bay wind waves are short and steep. A lot like Lake Michigan I'm told though I haven't been out there.

Then you get the guy who's sort of quite. In my office, that's usually an Albin customer as they tend to be pretty experineced off-shore fishermen. They'll say something like, 'oh, it was a little rough. A wave tore the windshield wipers off when it broke over the bow, but otherwise it wasn't too bad'. That's on a 28' to 35' off shore fishing boat with a full pilothouse.

I like those guys...:)

smokediver
07-15-2007, 10:10 AM
my biggest reason for posting the question is that I have very little time in an 18 .. 9 years of year 'round boating in a 16 ... I know it pretty well ... mine anyway ! An 18 would be easier to store/trailer etc.. and most of the time i am in the back waters heading to a local beach . But ... If i had a 22 maybe i could be a bit more adventurous ... On nice days i have been able to put in and run up to sanibel and captiva even cabbage key .. just wanted to get opinions on the ride between the two boats . I agree ... anything over 2 and i am staying on the inside ... :yes:

The Hedgehog
07-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Give me another week and I can give you a pretty good answer. I have many years in the 16 and my 18 will be ready.

smokediver
07-15-2007, 10:45 PM
thanks alot ... i am looking forward to it as well as the V-6 project you have going !

The Hedgehog
07-16-2007, 09:05 AM
thanks alot ... i am looking forward to it as well as the V-6 project you have going !

I am moving to Tn and have had to reduce my number of projects to juggle. Moving is just a terrible pain in the @#$%@#!

I will keep everyone posted on the X-18. The v-6 is mostly on hold for now. We are having the prop cleaned up and should get some benefit from that. Other than that we plan to enjoy the rest of the summer with that boat. Then it should be time for some more fun.

The X-18 comes out of the paint shop down here in Eufaula this week. I am actually waiting on the call right now. I will shoot pics when it gets out. Then all that's left is to rig throttle, put in the gauges, a couple of switches and the key. We should be able to get in a test run soon. All that will remain is some final details such as a rub rail, lights etc.

Bill Barter
10-03-2007, 10:35 PM
I have for years loved the 16. I bought one and its way cool but the staments made about seating positions is very, very true. I did a poker run NH and it was rough. the reason that we had to keep the throttle at half in the 16 had nothing to do with the boat...it was the pasanger getting slammed. In the 18 the pasangers can brace themself for the pounding.

I love the 16 and 18 they are beautiful and low to the water and thus 65 MPH feels like too %&*%$ fast. I'm not sure I'd like the feel of the 22 its a deeper cockpit. great thread!

osur866
10-03-2007, 11:02 PM
My vote is for the 18, however I'm biased. :) Steve

Lenny
10-03-2007, 11:12 PM
I know there is a thread of 18 vs. 22 but what about the 16 and 18 ? I have rode in Bob's and Last Tango's 18 but are there 16 owners that went to an 18 and is there a big difference in ride? Does the 2 feet make a big difference ?thanks !!!

The 18 can run at the front of a pack of 22's in the right conditions, and when I say "conditions" , they are not neccessarily "favourable" conditions. :)

18's ROCK, beyond compare, as a small boat. :yes:

Rootsy
10-04-2007, 06:26 AM
I'll agree with Lenny on this one... I've done the 16 thing.. it was fun but unless setup correctly it won't run the speeds an 18 can with much less effort. IMO the 18 handles and rides better also. The 16 is a few degrees less stable than an 18 also, especially at higher speeds for various reasons...

The Hedgehog
10-04-2007, 06:34 AM
Ok, so I have a bunch of time in a 16 and an gaining time in an 18. They are both a hoot to drive. I really like the 18 a little more so far. It is just as fun to drive, handles well at 70 and has just that extra room for passangers. The 18 being longer has a little sleeker look. The ride difference in chop is not noticable to me.

I will agree with Griz's comment that things start to get interesting at 70. Hyrdraulic steering does help but it is still a trip. I can't wait to see how it is at 75+!

smokediver
10-04-2007, 06:44 AM
just to update the thread , i did end up getting an 18 and i couldnt be happier ! to me , there is a world of difference in ride quality and handling ....i

Donziweasel
10-04-2007, 07:51 AM
the 18 rides better, as rootsy once put it to me, when you see a wave that you think you should slow down for in a 16, you don't have to in an 18.

another bonus to the 18 is the bildge. with a v-8, the 16 is tight as hell as i spent a good bit of the summer contorted in mine. plus, no room for big mods or supercharging. both are fun as hell though!

smbarcelow
10-05-2007, 08:51 AM
...when you see a wave that you think you should slow down for in a 16...

So far, my experience has been that I don't make the decision to slow down until after I've already hit it and landed a little squirrelly.:eek!:

gcarter
10-05-2007, 09:37 AM
IMHO, a 16 is a PWC.......
An 18 is almost a boat!!!!:propeller::):biggrin.::biggrin.::rlol:

OK, you can proceed to throwing rocks.........I can take it.

osur866
10-05-2007, 11:02 AM
IMHO, a 16 is a PWC.......
An 18 is almost a boat!!!!:propeller::):biggrin.::biggrin.::rlol:
OK, you can proceed to throwing rocks.........I can take it.
Isn't that why the 16's & 18's are soo much fun:wink: I know in rough waters my 18 spends almost as much time out of the water as it does in the water just dance'in on the tops!:eek!: I know that's one of the reasons I love my 18, not to mention the accleration and handling in turns :yes:. Steve