PDA

View Full Version : Starter problem, click, click, click

TheFees
07-13-2007, 06:28 PM
I have a 1987 18 350 mag, that I bought back in 89, and for the second time in its career, I am experiencing a non starting problem. When you turn the key, all you get is a click each time you turn it. So I keep turning it, click, click, for about 20 tries, then it just works.
Anyhow, when it happened quite a ways back, I just replaced the starter with a rebuilt one. It seemed to solve the problem. Now it has returned. I was wondering if their was anything else I can do, other than a complete starter replacement? Or is that the best way to go, and if so, should I get an OEM Mercruiser starter, rebuilt, or aftermarket replacement?
Is their somehing else I should check also? Your help is appreciated.

BUIZILLA
07-13-2007, 06:37 PM
slave solenoid

mrfixxall
07-13-2007, 07:25 PM
What Buiz said or a starter....make sure your cables are real tight at the battery also..

TheFees
07-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks guys you for your input. Cables to the battery are clean, and tightened on using channel locks to a very snug fit. That hot battery wire goes back to the solenoid, and joins together like grand central, with what looks like every major positive feed for the boat. The problem is that there are sufficient cable ends on that to make it near impossible to get a good grip on the nut with a socket or a wrench. (As in they are tightened down, and bending into the way. Notwithstanding access is difficult to begin with. Anyhow it will be a bear to manage as usual with anything down in that motor compartment, but of course I am willing to do it)
So what is the most efficent way to approach this. Just buy the new starter with solenoid attached, and get it in one shot, or try just the slave solenoid as Buiz mentioned first. If it doesn't work, then go for the rest of the starter? What would you do?

gcarter
07-13-2007, 08:04 PM
You could try putting some of those leads onto the switched side of the battery switch.

oldandtired
07-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Check your ground connections to the engine as well.

Rene

DonCig
07-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Would you possibly have a beautiful young lady in the passanger seat and you are looking for support as to why the engine will not start?

TheFees
07-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Would you possibly have a beautiful young lady in the passanger seat and you are looking for support as to why the engine will not start?
I tried that and she made me row all the way home. :boat:

DonziFreak
07-13-2007, 10:00 PM
we have those problems on our race engines from time to time, the culprit for us is usualy a faulty starter....but then again, we run simple 45 evinrude or johnson blocks...check the solenoid just in case, but for us, its always the starter or a dead battery....

Cuda
07-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Pull the starter, and take it to a starter/alternator shop that can rebuild it. They may tell you it's not the starter, or the solenoid, and even if it is, they can rebuild it for much less than a new starter, which may not fix your problem anyway.

MR MAGOO
07-14-2007, 06:32 AM
Another one for slave solinoid. It's very common and only about 20 bucks.

Pismo
07-14-2007, 07:27 AM
Yes, the solenoid not on top of the starter. absolutely must replace it with the correct one. Some ground thru bracket, some thru post and they are not interchangeable.

thescooter
07-14-2007, 12:50 PM
while someone is turning the key to try starting the moter.
1.try gently i said very gently tapping on the starter with a long wooden stick with a hammer, also very gently tap on the solenoid gently so as not to crack any thing.
2.make sure all you contections are clean shiny and bright so you have good good ground..
3.make sure the battery is a good batery
if this does not work leave use a message
thescooter

TheFees
07-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks to everyone with the help. I am going to try the suggestions. I went out on Saturday, and the initial start up at the ramp required 20 clicks. The odd thing is that after I ran the boat for a while, it would start on the second click. ???

blackhawk
07-17-2007, 02:13 PM
As someone else said make sure grounds are tight. Also make sure the hot lead is tight at the selenoid. I know what you're saying about all the leads on there and getting a socket in there. I found that if I climb in there and loosen the nut then hold the them all out of the way and tighten the nut with an open ended wrench it helps.

You can also "jump" your selenoid. There is always power to one side of the selenoid. When you turn the key it simply supplies power to the other side of the selenoid and spins the starter. If you jump it and the starter spins you have a bad selenoid. If it doesn't it's the starter. Assuming your positive and negative connections are tight and clean.

A word of caution, jumping the selenoid will cause sparks. To avoid this you can also put a volt meter on the starter side of the selenoid and have someone turn the key.

Since the selenoid is clicking and the boats starts on occcasion I'm guessing it's a dead spot on the starter armature or a loose cable.

VetteLT193
07-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Is it a single click per try of the key, or does the starter go click/click/click... while you hold the key?

What I'm getting at here is, if it's one click it could be the ignition switch. The switch could only be applying power for a split second which is why all you get is the click... the starter engages then disengages right away.

My ignition switch does this if you twist the key too far.

TheFees
08-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks for all of your help. Every time I read a new reply, it got a wow award. Between it all, I am sure I will be able to trouble shoot it properly. I printed them all out, and have the starter problem on my to do list. It is a nuisance problem right now. Of course I am concerned about going out and getting stuck. The only problem is that I do not go out very often, and I have some projects that I want to complete.
In response to how many times it clicks, it only clicks once per key turn. Not like the typical click, click, click when it has a dead battery. I take the battery out of the boat, and keep it on a trickle charge in between uses, and it cranks strong.
I have to check the leads, switch, solenoid, and finally take it to a rebuild shop, and have them go over it, and see what it needs if all else fails. Thanks again.
Bob

gcarter
08-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Since the selenoid is clicking and the boats starts on occcasion I'm guessing it's a dead spot on the starter armature or a loose cable.
Or a dead (worn from arcing) spot on the contactor in the solenoid.

Kirk
08-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Perhaps this will help........

I think you are taking the starter to a re-build shop, correct? Most likely you fried the starter. I would suggest that you have a hi torque element installed if you don' t have one already.

Let us know how you make out

KJ

MOP
08-05-2007, 07:57 AM
Not sure it is understood by some that there are "two solenoids" one on the starter and another which is usually mounted on the front of the starboard manifold along with the engine breaker. The slave as mentioned in the posts above should be checked "first" before you tear into the starter, you may not have to get covered with muck cuss and bleed! The slave is a clean ten minute job!!!!