PDA

View Full Version : What? the whole valve has to be there?

Little GTO
07-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Hi Gang,

What have I done!! ????!@@#$%%^^ ARG now what?

http://www3.telus.net/radioboy/DSCN2138.jpg

Just kidding. After pulling the plugs, and finding one oil/gas soaked, I went straight to that cyl 8 and found 0 PSI compression. nada! Zip! Zilch! Pumped in some compressed air and heard air rushing out ...somewhere...pulled the exhaust riser..air blowing...pulled the exhaust manifold...air blasting out cyl 8 exhaust port....mmmm.. Houston, we have a problem here....:crossfing:

Then out came the tools, more than I've had out in years, then off came the intake, plumbing, wiring ..and then the head...

http://www3.telus.net/radioboy/DSCN2142.jpg

Yup, that 'll do it. :yes:

Off to town to get new intake/exhaust valves, seats ground, gaskets etc. Back home....install new gaskets, head etc...and at 7:30pm here we are...

http://www3.telus.net/radioboy/DSCN2144.jpg

Finish it off in the morning after the sealant sets.

She should get up to 50MPH now and without shuddering.

Very cool....

Paul

Carl C
07-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Git-R-Done! Looks like you didn't waste any time.

Little GTO
07-14-2007, 01:03 AM
Had her on the water tonight and lots more giddyup and go out of the hole, but no more top end power or speed. Still maxed out around 3700 RPM and 40MPH. Mind you, I was fighting a 10-15 MPH head wind.

Sure sounds nice with all 8 cyls firing. :boat:

Cheers

Paul

Carl C
07-14-2007, 05:53 AM
What kind of boat?:boat:

BUIZILLA
07-14-2007, 06:45 AM
what did you end of doing about valve clearances???

Little GTO
07-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Boy, I get to relying on the internet for so much info that I can't find via conventional means, I forget there are other places....like the machine shop that did the head. Jeesh!!:bonk:

COLD intake .015"/exhaust .023", HOT intake .013"/exhaust .021". Made all the difference in the world. I had set them to .020" just to be safe on Thursday.

Runs great now.

Cheers

Paul

SurfGreenTele
07-14-2007, 12:02 PM
What kind of boat?:boat:

Century Mk II. :cool:

Nice work Paul. :yes:

-Jim

justleft
07-15-2007, 11:35 AM
You are lucky. In my case the broken valve part made the head look like
someone took a claw hammer to it. Then it broke out the piston dome.
Finally the valve head wedged itself between the crank and block.
Bringing everything to a very final and quick halt !!! That's a sound you don't forget !!
I still have that crank with the valve head welded into it.

You may want to keep an eye on that cyl and make sure it isn't running lean.

Little GTO
07-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Wow! I wouldn't want to know what that sounds like.

I will keep an eye on that cyl as there was another problem I noted. This is a solid lifter cam and the intake pushrod was well bent on that same cylinder, so much that it wasn't able to rotate. I pounded it out straight and it's fine now. I am suspecting that someone didn't have the rocker adjustment set right which didn't allow the valves to completey close, which would have started this chain reaction of burning the valve.

Anyway, after I get a few more hours on it, i will check compression and plugs again.

Cheers

Paul