PDA

View Full Version : Bravo III on an 18'

mphatc
12-29-2003, 10:27 PM
Has anyone here run an 18 Classic with a Bravo III drive?

Curious mind needs to know!

TIA
MPHATC

Ranman
12-30-2003, 08:23 AM
I don't see the Bravo III as being a very desirable drive on an 18 Classic. I would be surprised if one ever existed. The B3 is not a performance drive. It's not rated to run very fast and is significantly longer than a B1 making it less hydrodynamic (slower). The B3 is longer so it can swing bigger "cruiser" props.

Kent Perroux
12-30-2003, 02:08 PM
When the Cigarette 20 was re-introduced a few years ago, Powerboat did a test with the Bravo III. The Bravo III is the twin prop version of the Bravo I. Tests were great and control was better than the single prop.

Bravo III (http://www.mercurymarine.com/bravo_three2)

The Bravo II is the larger version of the Bravo I for spinning the large cruiser props.

Bravo II (http://www.mercurymarine.com/bravo_two2)

IMO the Bravo III is almost as much overkill as the Bravo II. Best options(my opinion) Bravo 1 with 2" shortie, Volvo DPX if you want rock solid control with no prop torque)

Woodsy
12-30-2003, 05:51 PM
Mario...

I think the B3 will work great on your 18. The counter-rotating props will cancel out any torque steer, and give you a great holeshot. It's not considered a performance drive, but they make some pretty big wheels for it to spin. You can get B3 props up to 32 pitch I think. It probably has a little more drag than the B1, but thats just because of a slightly longer, and wider bullet.

All in all, I think it will work great... and you have no prop or parts issues...

Woodsy Von Outboard

Formula Jr
01-02-2004, 10:25 PM
Some people may disagree with this, but if you are going to "over power" a small boat, and like to go out on your own to get really crazy with it in good sized seas, I feel a DP Volvo or a Brav III is the way to go. It isn't about topspeed that that point, its about how you read waves and land. I for one, don't want to deal with torque reaction at those times. I only want to know if I'm going to stuff or flip over. A twin prop will smooth out the roll aspect. YES YOU LOSE 5 MPH TO 7 MPH! But you don't have to consider the little "correction" twist on the wheel just before getting air time. I'd rather have that margin of stability instead of overall speed. In a confused sea, dealing with a single prop, becomes too much to think about. And the first time you land sideways, after not getting the correction just right, you will want a "balanced" drive system. One that will launch you flat out into the unexpected. At lake Chelan, I was watching a new boater riding in parallel seas and not correcting well. It scared me as I watched the degree of roll on a 16 and that was due to single prop driving. Even if you know how to correct, the boat is still not as stable as it could be with a DP. And if I was designing a boat from the ground up, it would have dual props and a light, high strung-out engine so the boat could air out, yet be stable. Donzis are not speed boats. This is a huge misconception about Donzis. They are fast, "off shore" boats as are most of the other pickings in the deep vee venue. But they are not speed boats. They are big wave boats. Thats not about speed. Its about staying upright.
And thats All I have to say about that.........

Dr. Dan
01-03-2004, 01:53 AM
:D Owen....I for one have missed your commentary...I am glad you're back brother! wink
Hope all is well with you!

:cool: Doc

oldLenny
01-03-2004, 11:57 AM
We could just ask this fella how his works and if he has any problems...

http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=117

blackhawk
01-03-2004, 07:50 PM
I don't know about a Bravo III, but a Volvo duoprop is not slower than their single prop and they accelerate like mad! A lot of people say that the duoprop is slower but a friend has one and he will run right beside the exact same boat with a single prop but he has much stronger low-end/mid-range pull. Little boat is fun as hell in big waves too!

GEOO
01-06-2004, 09:43 PM
I haven't been in a duo-prop single engine boat.
The Batboat seams to run better with a duo prop set-up.
The two props will do away with prop torque. The boat shouldn't lean when getting on and off the throttle.
A Duo-prop drive is like having four wheel drive car. You will be much more connected to the water. Easier to drive at slow speeds, faster cruise speed, not sure of the effect on top speed.
The two prop set-up will give you more transom lift, which the classics don't need, but at the same time you should be able to trim higher and air out the boat more.
I don't think you will lose speed with the B3 over a B1 unless you are at speeds over 70.

Just my thoughts.

I have driven a B3 on a twin set-up on a 45 mph boat and loved them.

Dr. Dan
01-07-2004, 05:20 AM
:p Lenny .... That is a very cool x-18, and I am partial to that Color....Hmmmm? Is this Boat/Owner current on the Registry and active on the Board? I would love to see that Donzi in person someday.... someone has to get this guy to an Event one of these days....Keep Poodle & Brad far away from their "checkbooks though"....looks like a really neat little ride! :D

:cool: Doc