PDA

View Full Version : Great looking Ebay Cobalt for sale...

Lenny
07-11-2007, 09:59 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rare-1970-Cobalt-XV-200-Cigarette-Copy-Donzi-Sweet-16_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31270QQihZ013QQitemZ 230149271584QQrdZ1

SurfGreenTele
07-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Yeah, that is cool. I think Craig from here was in contact with that seller last year, because he posted a few pics of it.

Craig
07-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Hi Lenny (and Surf Green Tele), That's the same boat I posted about! It's a well kept boat and very original. It's only 2 digits away from my Cobalt's hull number! Pretty cool! Really ollks just like mine except mine is green where it's yellow. Saw the pics of the blue diesel XV-200 on this site recently. That boat looked interesting with the deisel swap and changed dash. They did a nice job with it.
Craig

SurfGreenTele
07-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Did you ever see it in person Craig?

Craig
07-12-2007, 05:40 PM
No, and that of course can mean a lot. My boat usually looks a little nicer than it really is in pictures. Not that it's real bad, it's just a lot of times the photos don't catch little things. Although, I've noticed with the better digital cameras you can zoom and see stuff pretty well. I think the photos on eBay are that way.

By the way, I'm considering selling one of my Tele's to get another. I just want the standard American because it's got the nicely finished frets and the rolled neck edges like the Am. Deluxe series but at probably $300 - $500 less than those. Plus I like the color options that the basic American series offers (I like Antique White, black p.g. and the Maple neck). Actually I never met a Tele I didn't like, but I'm leaning that way if I can sell mine. It's a "Real" (not re-issue) '74 Tele Custom. Most of it is original (neck, p.u.'s etc.), but I swapped out the original body years ago for an ash body and put a four bolt plate on it. I still have the old body, but probably won't go with the guitar unless someone really wanted it. It's cream with black p.g. Very Cool, I just want one of those American Teles!

SurfGreenTele
07-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Antique white/cream is one of my favorite colors on a Tele. :yes: Standard Am.Teles are great, I actually like them better than the Deluxe. I'm not big on the colors or abalone inlays of the Dlx - a little too flashy I think.

That '74 sounds awesome. I'm not sure what they've been going for in the market, but I would think you could pull several grand for it with the original body.

Craig
07-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Yep! To my surprise, they're starting to go high. I read an article (I think at Wikipedia) on the 70's Tele Customs and it mentions some stuff on why they weren't super popular back when they were knew, and why they really should have been. But now they're getting very popular and I've seen some on eBay ranging from well over $1,000.00. Just recently saw a few in varying conditions and degrees of originality for like $1,600.00, $2,200.00 and even one mint condition one for as much as $5,500.00 (i.e. one actually sold for that much!). I've really liked mine, (I've had it since the early 80's) but I think I really might see what I could get for it to get the American. Shoot, myabe I could get enough to buy myself a nice medium (40 or 60 watt tube amp!)?!?!?!?!? I "need" one of those too!

SurfGreenTele
07-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Oh a nice tube amp is necessary. :D

I just picked up this Budda a few months ago...it's outstanding. 30 watts, all tube, point to point hand wired. The clean channel is kind of like a darker Vox AC30, the drive channel is like a hot Marshall. :cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/NikonAV6/Guitar%20pics/Amp%20Effects/Buddanew2.jpg

Lenny
07-12-2007, 10:28 PM
WOW :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think you two hold the current record for "off-track" and an original POST...

Good for you guys :D :D :D

Just hav'in fun... Lenny

And yes, I have guitars too. Strats' . Some stolen FROM me (so longer mine :( )

Take care you two... :)

SurfGreenTele
07-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Yeah, we derailed just a tad...:D

That's cool that you play too Lenny. Stolen Strats? Sorry to hear that. :(

Little GTO
07-13-2007, 12:52 AM
well, let's continue this thread onto yet another topic...

Jim, did you get the Century???? What's the scoop??:):)

Cheers

Paul

PS found my miss..have you found yours yet??

Craig
07-13-2007, 07:04 AM
Lenny,

Waddayamean? My boat is white & "green" and I would some day like to learn to "surf." Further, I have, on occassion, played my guitar while sitting in the boat and this guy who has the other Cobalt for sale I think may be from Michigan and Gibson guitars are made in Kalamazoo Michigan (or lat least they used ot be?) so I'm hear talking to "Surf Green Tele" (a guitar player) about this boat on eBay thats owned by a guy who lives where they build Gibson guitars...
...wait, my mistake -- you are absolutely right. We've really only incorporated "Fender" guitars into the discussion! 1,000 pardons! Now had the guy selling the boat been from Corona California, that would be a different story! :-)
But seriously -- speaking of Strats; that's what got me all excited about the American Tele's -- My son plays and a couple years ago bought the 50th Anniversary Strat (Am. Deluxe series). The neck is so nice, that I've all but stolen it from him. I play it more than my Tele(s) and I've been a Tele nut for probably over 20 yrs. The Strat's neck lured me in, but then, since I've been playing it a lot, I'm appreciating other aspects of the Strat as well. I figure if I get a Tele with a super neck (like my son's Strat), that will be the ticket!
Budda amps -- Cool! They're awful pricy for a small amp, but I guess you see that a lot depending on what it is. I've got an old Gibson Skylark from the 50's -- Only 5 watts (I think) with an on/off switch, a volume knob, and a red light, but it sounds realy good for recording stuff with the right processing (I mic it w/ a Beta 57, add Lexicon Verb, dbx compressor, and some EQ).
Oh, almost forgot, the Cobalt on eBay (I think) ends tomorrow! No bids yet, but the owner e-mailed me and said there's a bunch watching (besides me).
How's that for getting back on track!!?!?!?!

SurfGreenTele
07-13-2007, 08:08 PM
well, let's continue this thread onto yet another topic...
Jim, did you get the Century???? What's the scoop??:):)
Cheers
Paul
PS found my miss..have you found yours yet??

Finally checked it out last Saturday, it's in really nice shape - the original gel is very good, and the 340 runs extremely well. There are a few non-original cosmetic things that it will need eventually - the teak deck piece was replaced by a varnished piece of marine plywood, which doesn't conform to the deck. And I'd probably get the original interior kit from A&A Marine eventually. Someone replaced it with generic gray vinyl, which looks ok for now. There was also a little water in the bilge, which worries me a little, but I've heard that's somewhat normal. Someone from the Century registry said it could be from rain or splash, the shaft log may drip more than it should, or the rudder may need to be tightened. Do you get any water in your bilge?

Anyway, I think I'm gonna go for it. But I don't have a vehicle to tow with. My Dad contacted a friend with a truck who might be able to take us up there to pick it up, but he hasn't heard back from him. I'm thinking we'll have to wait until next weekend. I may rent from Uhaul if I can't find anyone else.

I was surprised at how sleek they look in the water. I wasn't expecting it to be so badass looking. :D

Lenny
07-13-2007, 08:19 PM
WHEW !!! ... at least you are now back to boats :D :D :D

;)

SurfGreenTele
07-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Lenny,
Waddayamean? My boat is white & "green" and I would some day like to learn to "surf." Further, I have, on occassion, played my guitar while sitting in the boat and this guy who has the other Cobalt for sale I think may be from Michigan and Gibson guitars are made in Kalamazoo Michigan (or lat least they used ot be?) so I'm hear talking to "Surf Green Tele" (a guitar player) about this boat on eBay thats owned by a guy who lives where they build Gibson guitars...
...wait, my mistake -- you are absolutely right. We've really only incorporated "Fender" guitars into the discussion! 1,000 pardons! Now had the guy selling the boat been from Corona California, that would be a different story! :-)
But seriously -- speaking of Strats; that's what got me all excited about the American Tele's -- My son plays and a couple years ago bought the 50th Anniversary Strat (Am. Deluxe series). The neck is so nice, that I've all but stolen it from him. I play it more than my Tele(s) and I've been a Tele nut for probably over 20 yrs. The Strat's neck lured me in, but then, since I've been playing it a lot, I'm appreciating other aspects of the Strat as well. I figure if I get a Tele with a super neck (like my son's Strat), that will be the ticket!
Budda amps -- Cool! They're awful pricy for a small amp, but I guess you see that a lot depending on what it is. I've got an old Gibson Skylark from the 50's -- Only 5 watts (I think) with an on/off switch, a volume knob, and a red light, but it sounds realy good for recording stuff with the right processing (I mic it w/ a Beta 57, add Lexicon Verb, dbx compressor, and some EQ).
Oh, almost forgot, the Cobalt on eBay (I think) ends tomorrow! No bids yet, but the owner e-mailed me and said there's a bunch watching (besides me).
How's that for getting back on track!!?!?!?!

Haha, sadly I always seem to be the one steering us back off again. :D

Yeah, Budda's are a little expensive, but they're a great deal compared to the other boutiques like BadCat, Matchless, Cornford, etc. I picked mine up for only 1100, used but in mint cond. It's built like a tank. :cool: Skylarks are sweet. I really want to get a small old low wattage amp someday, maybe a Champ or an old Gibby.

I love Strats and Teles just about equally, although Teles probably a little more. :) I'm not a big Gibson person, but I plan to get an SG or a Paul eventually.

SurfGreenTele
07-14-2007, 12:12 AM
WHEW !!! ... at least you are now back to boats :D :D :D
;)

:D Then I relapsed. Last time...unless Craig keeps baiting me with gear talk, which I just can't resist. :o

Little GTO
07-14-2007, 01:09 AM
Hi Jim,

Yup. Had her out tonight after rebuilding the port head..runs much better on 8 cyls.

Yes, I get water in the bilge..and I don;t know from where. I haven;t bothered chasing it down. I get about a 1/2 gal for half a days running. It must be the shaft seal as i don;t see any dripping from exhaust, cooolant lines etc.

I have a Gibson Explorer SVT or RVT 15 which I am not using...if you want....
Pair of EL84s and 12AX7s or 12AU7s in the front end.

Cheers

Paul

SurfGreenTele
07-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Nice Paul, glad to hear she's running like she should. :cool:

I love those old Gibsons. I shouldn't be spending any money on gear right now, but how much would you want for it?

SurfGreenTele
07-16-2007, 08:51 PM
So the Cobalt didn't sell. 8k didn't seem too bad, I wonder if it would move for around 7...

Surfer
07-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Surf Green, cool amp, interesting that you compare it to the AC30, my fav. Does it have as much sensitivity as the Vox, the AC30 is the loudest 30 watt amp I ever played. I've had it for a year now and just getting it dialed in. By the way my 18 is the loudest 18 I've ever played also.