PDA

View Full Version : Classic 22 vs 18

rtgogo
07-10-2007, 10:23 PM
My virgin post here guys...

Looking to buy a classic 18 or 22. I ride Harleys and drive nice cars, but know little to nothing about boats other than i want a Donzi classic.

Help me out with comparing the performance of the 18 versus 22 in choppy lake water. I wasn't looking for anything less than the 22, but seem to be drawn to several 18's I've found the past few weeks. I would assume there's a huge difference in the ride, but wanted to get your thoughts.

Question is...a newer 18 or a 22 with a few more years on her?
Am I sacrificing a lot of ride comfort with the 18?
What else am I missing to complete the picture.

Thanks!

chappy
07-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Welcome to the board. Harleys, nice cars, yeah, you'll fit in fine here. One way to describe the difference between the 18 & 22 is that you ride "on" an 18, while you ride "in" a 22. I can't substitute a description for an actual run though. This is a great site, you may be able to find someone in your area that could take you for a ride. Both are great in chop, just depends on your preference. Do a search above for "18 vs. 22", many on the board own or have owned both, and there's been much discussion about the comparison.

Good luck,

Rich

RedDog
07-11-2007, 05:36 PM
I started with an 18 and moved up to a 22 which I don't regret. That said - the 18 was a really fun boat. More nimble than the 22 and easier to whip around on the trailer. Both will handle similar water. The 18's acceleration was killer - but then mine did have a nice big block in it :cool:

The interior space difference in an 18 vs a 22 is negligible.

Chappy's observation of "on" an 18 vs. "in" a 22 is on the money

Marlin275
07-11-2007, 06:05 PM
I was just up in New Hampshire on a small lake and the 18 was more than enough.
I look for the choppiest water I can find to get any air.
On the Hudson River, that kicks up, the 18 is perfect.
In the ocean you want more freeboard so the 22 is best.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30240&d=1184195133

zelatore
07-11-2007, 07:18 PM
I just went through this same debate over the winter/spring. I ended up spending a few extra bucks and getting a 22 and I'm glad I did.

I typically boat on the Sacramento Delta. Sometimes the water can get up, but the bigger issue is wakes from large boats...a 50' or 60' motoryacht coming up the river leaves a little ripple behind it no matter where you are.

Although I didn't test run any 18s (although my previous delta boat was an 18' bowrider), I know the 22 is still not a 'big' boat when you're running in sloppy conditions. I don't think I'd want anything less unless I was a lake boater. Or just wanted a toy for nice days. (and then I'd look at a 16)

And I certainly wouldn't want take the 22 out on SF Bay unless it was a really tame day. Heck, the bay will pound my 32' Carver when the wind kicks up in the afternoon and it's a heck of a lot bigger/deeper/higher.

Yeah, the 22 is a little bigger to trailer, but unless you're trying to put it in the garage, the extra length isn't going to make much/any difference going down the road or even backing it down the ramp. If you're towing with a truck that can handle the 18 but not 22, you're still not going to be happy using it to tow the smaller boat since it will be maxed out and struggling all the time. Any newer 1/2 ton or better should be able to handle either boat easily.

Of course, you may not agree with me. After all, I don't ride no stinkin' Harley...I'm a Triumph man myself. :wink:

Don
'01 22 Classic, 502/Bravo 1
'06 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
and a bunch of other stuff...

BigGrizzly
07-11-2007, 07:27 PM
I am a bike rider and a car guy too(primarily muscle cars) Biking is in the heart not what you ride. That sais I own both and won't give up either. In summation my wife call the 22 the SUV and the 18 the Corvette. Both have advantages. there are certain conditions that the 18 is actually better like busy small lakes with cross chop you can drive through it.

Carl C
07-11-2007, 08:05 PM
That question is really gonna stir up a lot of emotion! My last boat was 20' so I knew that my new Donzi Classic would have to be the 22. I've never regretted my decision.:alligator

Kirbyvv
07-11-2007, 09:22 PM
I like that "in versus on" comparison. You can crank an 18 around and actually put your elbow in the water, more like a tight little sports car, versus a 22 being like a more refined BMW coup. i'm on a lake and always wanted an 18. I love the quick feel, easily catching air, etc., but in big water can't hang with the 22's. Like some one else said if you are going in the ocean or big open water go 22, other wise either is real fun.

rtgogo
07-11-2007, 09:28 PM
First...thanks for the reponses...wondering if this would be one of those silent boards and glad to see it's got some heart....
Think I'm gunna go with my gut and keep hunting for the right 22. Just found an 18 and my wallet was burnin....I have a car habit and chrome addiction that keeps me in the dog house with the boss so I need to make sure whatever I buy I can live with for a few seasons...Just afraid the 18 will ride rough on big lake water.
So.....any suggestions on specifc sites to haunt to find her? Prices seem to vary...wondering what to expect to give for a nice 2000-2003? Any absolute requirments on the options?
Thanks!

ITTLFLI
07-11-2007, 09:29 PM
My virgin post here guys...
Looking to buy a classic 18 or 22. I ride Harleys and drive nice cars, but know little to nothing about boats other than i want a Donzi classic.
Help me out with comparing the performance of the 18 versus 22 in choppy lake water. I wasn't looking for anything less than the 22, but seem to be drawn to several 18's I've found the past few weeks. I would assume there's a huge difference in the ride, but wanted to get your thoughts.
Question is...a newer 18 or a 22 with a few more years on her?
Am I sacrificing a lot of ride comfort with the 18?
What else am I missing to complete the picture.
Thanks!

What lake will you be boating on? Martin, Smith? My brother in law lives in B-ham and is into cars also. He has a Donzi on his wish also!

In fact my 22 came from Martin 4yrs ago!!

rtgogo
07-11-2007, 09:36 PM
At the Ridge on Lake Martin.

Really wanted to pull the trigger on that 18, but think all the big boats in Alex city would wash me away.

MOP
07-11-2007, 10:29 PM
I had a 16 for three years and loved it, I ran a buddies 18 several times it was a decent step up and all of what was said above. I now have a 22 and really like I boat in some very varied waters, Long Island Sound, local bays and out in the ocean on mild days. Your best bet is to try to make a Donzi event guys love to give rides, then buy what you like!

Phil

Dr. Dan
07-12-2007, 06:44 AM
:smash:Well I have also been in and driven all of the above... the 18 Classic is nothing like the 22 Classic.

The 18 does not plow the water and is much lighter and skips like a stone over the waves....its like a "Snow Saucer" when you were a kid. 18's are nimble, and are not to be dismissed... as we all know the Fastest Donzi is and was an X-18 Classic.

The 22 has some freeboard, will be more forgiving in actual chop and confused water... but its not a freighter... but... it does have some capabilties its little brother does not. Usually a Big Block Power Package, more Fuel Capacity, minimal but some storage space.

Both are great Classic Boats, both get lots of attention and as Donzis they are cool as hell. I agree with alot of the above comments... but if you don't have money burning a hole in your pocket... or you are in a hurry... go to a Donzi Event and Ride and Drive all of them..... then you can make an informed decision.

The Lake Winni Poker run is in New Hampshire the end of the month...and the MidWest has several casual gatherings during the year.

Good Luck

Doc

DonziFreak
07-12-2007, 07:13 AM
this is a intresting topic...
since i was born my family has had our 18 2+3, and it probaly could keep up with the 22's in rough chop simply because of my year...1967 donzi did a sharp V all the way to the back, then in the later years the V was rounded near the back........thats something many people don't know or consider in choices like this one....if you can get your hands on a 67 18, id say screw the 22 and grab it :)

Tim Morris
07-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Both... :) :)
I'll sell my 22 well before I die and am buried in my 18.... If I lived on a lake I'd sell the 22 now...

Lots of confusion here. Get a Minx, 20', split the difference.

DonCig
07-12-2007, 11:06 AM
I have found that if the conditions are snotty, I can hang with the 22's most of the time, but never all the time, and I usually can not have any squeemish passengers aboard if it is that rough, and my back will definately be sore at the end of the day.
No replacement for displacement (did I really say that?)
I still say buy the boat model for the water that you are going to regularly run, with the smaller Donzi always being a little more convenient.
I watch people all the time buy 46' Sea Rays to run around on little resevoirs here in Colorado. They would have been much better off with a nice pontoon boat for their intended activities; and they would have saved about $50,000 to pay for gas and groceries.

Formula Jr
07-12-2007, 11:32 AM
For Lake Martin, your logical choice is the 18. Your wind effect waves can't get bigger than 2 footers given the snow flake shape of the reservour, so you are mostly dealing with the confused wakes of other boats. Nothing on that lake appears to "Require" a 22.

The cost advantages and the towing and garage space all point to an 18C for this particular lake.

You did however only say you were interested in the 18 OR the 22.

A 16 would work also.... the toss up is really between the 16 and the 18 here.

zelatore
07-12-2007, 12:33 PM
I watch people all the time buy 46' Sea Rays to run around on little resevoirs here in Colorado. They would have been much better off with a nice pontoon boat for their intended activities; and they would have saved about $50,000 to pay for gas and groceries.

$50,000 savings? Have you priced a 46 Sea Ray lately? Try closer to $500,000 savings. :)

But just think, buy getting that Sea Ray they have the best boat in the world. Just ask them.

I know it's hard to belive it since I work for the compitition, but I never cared much for Sea Rays. Too much of the 'gold chain crowd'.

I'm sure there are about a dozen members here who have Sea Rays who are about to start throwing bricks at me, so I'd better duck and cover...

DonziFreak
07-12-2007, 12:35 PM
hey Madpoodle,

i used to run the biscayne bay area a lot back in hte mid 90's then with the purchase of our race boats we kinda stopped even looking at our beloved donzi...so she sat for years unused until recently, i took her down to a friends house in Islamorada and launched her from the carribean club and did the run to the holliday isle sandbar, the ride over was relativly normal, but we had some wind come in during the afternoon and i hit some really rough s***, and she cruised without a problem, shes a real champ!

she's a single hatch, im guessing one of the earlier ones, i gotta find a hull # and thanks for the welcome!

Carlos
(P.S., im in Westchester, 15 minutes from downtown)

DonziFreak
07-12-2007, 02:24 PM
i agree with everything poodle said! he besicly said it straight, the 18 will surprise a lot of the bigger boats, but its not "huge wave" rated, but little chop and those pesky anoying wakes from the bigger yatchs won't do much to ya with a steady throttle hand and when it does get "rough", its soooo fun to have to wheel and deal your way through it, the 18 is definetly a awsome boat to have!(but thats coming from a racers point of view :wink:)

The Hedgehog
07-12-2007, 03:59 PM
At the Ridge on Lake Martin.
Really wanted to pull the trigger on that 18, but think all the big boats in Alex city would wash me away.

I have been all over Martin in a classic 16 with no problems. Well there may have been one day that my friend Don's wife did not think I was funny! The 18 would have no problem in Martin. I have a bunch of seat time in a 16. I currently have a 27ZX and will be finished with my x-18 project in a couple of weeks. I can't speak for the 22 but I can really relate to the statement about riding on vs in the boat. The fun I get from the "riding on" the boat is what inspired me to get the 18. I will use the 27 as the SUV boat and the 18 as a hot rod. It would be hard to say what I would choose if confined to one boat. You should really try to drive both. I don't know what other issues that need to be considered such as storage, towing and how much stuff you plan to toat around. One thing is for sure, you will command respect from all crowds with a classic Donzi!

Last Tango
07-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Well, as you can see, the decision is not just a lay-up. It really depends on your water conditions for where you boat most often. I have owned a 16 Classic, and 18 Classic, ridden in and driven MANY 22 Classics, and currentoy own a 22ZX. No real difference in cockpit or storage space between ANY of the Classics. There is precious little of either. 16's are awesome on small lakes, on long rivers with very little "fetch" for the wind. I have driven the 16, 18, and 22's on lakes, rivers, the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. To put it in motorcycle terms, if you want a kick-butt Kawasaki Ninja go for the 18. If you want a Harley V-Rod, go for the Classic 22. (Don't like V-Rod's? No problem, pick your own super-well engineered high performance cruising bike.) The 16 Classic can be a Ducati.
22ZX is a Superglide.

roadtrip se
07-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Both... :) :)
I'll sell my 22 well before I die and am buried in my 18.... If I lived on a lake I'd sell the 22 now...

So why is it I haven't seen the X-18 at a rally in several years? Always the 22.... Hmmm. Laker...

We just got our 18. Night and day to the 22. Have done the 16 also.
I would go 22 first and then move into the 18, when you can afford and find the right boat. The typical 22 will take you more places, faster, and with more cover and protection.

That being said, the 18 is an absolute go-kart style blast.

Best advice here, go to a rally and spend some time in both back-to-back and make your decision from an informed perspective.

Cuda
07-12-2007, 09:00 PM
You beat me to it! :)

DonCig
07-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Some monsoon made these waves a thousand miles away. 7 to 8 foot rollers, big period waves. You run over them like glass at 60+. You reach the top of one, get airborn and you count, one thousand, two thousand, three thousand and land on the back side for the next.
If you ever come to the PNW, bring the 18. :)
Any chance of a picture???

VetteLT193
07-16-2007, 08:06 AM

You beat me to it! :)

I'm with Tim and Cuda.

Just got my Minx in the water for the first time on Saturday and it's an awesome boat. I see it as a small 22, not a big 18. I pulled it with my 1992 Dodge Dakota 180 miles without problems (my truck has 150k miles on it, and is not new by any means).

I actually like it more than the 22 for my area. (some lake, some river, some gulf). No water is closer than 30 minutes from my house, so good trailering is important. It handles 'sharper' than a 22 because of the shorter length, but rides almost as good. For slow cruising with the family I think it rides better.

I haven't run full speed yet, I'm still getting used to it and want more seat time, but from what I have done so far it's great. It exceeded all of my expectations, and now I'm surprised that Donzi hasn't brought it back into production!

Barry Phillips
07-16-2007, 11:50 AM
Have not been in some time, needed to update my OS.

In my experience with boats size matters. Other factors depend on the body of water on which you want to run. I've owned an 18, now a 22 on a lake that is close to 6 miles wide and 29 miles long, when the wind blows out of the Southwest it get plenty choppy. The 18 was a blast in the lighter stuff, you sit on top of it and really feel the speed, while you sit in the 22. The 18 can turn on a dime, more manorabale than the 22 nut not by much. I've ran 90 in Geoo's X-18, but I would feel a little saffer running 90 in a 22. The 22 is also a dryer boat in the rough stuff, due to reverse chines. In conculsion the 18 is great on smaller lake or river, but when the going gets a little roughter the 22 is a better ride.

DonziFreak
07-16-2007, 12:26 PM
man, i got a feeling this is gonna be one of those topics that refuses to die...lol
but sticking to the subject, i just went out on my 18 this weekend, and for anyone in Miami or Ft, Lauderdale, they know biscayne bay can be rough as hell with the right wind direction and good amount of traffic...saturday was one of those days, the wind was blowing the right direction and there was no shortage of huge boats running around and leaving their wakes (GRRRRRR STOP IT!) and i will admit i was getting thrown around a little bit to much, but that was only at my cruising speed of 30 mph, once i went full out and pulled the tabs up and dry, she drove right over it like a true champ!!! but, its mostly because of the old hull design i have, so like i said before, get a 22 if you feel like you will be running through rough stuff most of the time, unless you can get a 67 18! :wink: