PDA

View Full Version : Title question - esp for anyone who's bought a boat from NY

SurfGreenTele
07-10-2007, 07:29 PM
This is regarding the '73 Century that I'm looking at. Since the registration serves as proof of ownership for boats 1987 and older in NY, I'm wondering if I'm going to run into trouble to get a title in New Jersey. According to the NJ MVC site, if the boat doesn't have a title, I'll need the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin. This could be a problem, since the boat has passed hands several times, and the MCO is long gone. Is there a way around this?

Sweet little 16
07-10-2007, 09:31 PM
most likely a 73 has a transferable registration that acts as a title all you need is the owner to sign it over

those are hard to come by today but back then were pretty common the reg numbers are going to change

MOP
07-10-2007, 09:33 PM
I am a NY boat broker, to transfer title on a registered boat you need either a registration that is marked transferable on its face or a NY title. A registration that is marked transferable can be signed on the back and should be accompanied by a dollar amount bill of sale, the same goes for a boat with a title certificate. Most states now a days look for the dollar amount bill of sale so they can get their tax dollars.

Phil

SurfGreenTele
07-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks Phil and Sweet Little 16. I believe the owner has a transferable registration, but I'll double check. So if it is transferable, that's all I'll need to get a title here in Jersey?

MOP
07-11-2007, 06:45 AM
Yes you will have no problem, is that boat in Freeport? If so I think I know the owner.

Phil

SurfGreenTele
07-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Yes you will have no problem, is that boat in Freeport? If so I think I know the owner.
Phil

It's actually on Greenwood Lake, at Skip's Dockside Marina.