PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell DACA June 5th thru 8th 2008

DonCig
07-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Lake Powell DACA 2008
Dates- June 5th thru June 8th.

I am going to rent a houseboat for the first week of June in 2008 (Boat Rental will be from June 5th thru June 8th).
If anybody wants to set their next years calander for the event, feel free to do so.
The reason for holding the DACA event a few weeks earlier is that I wanted to catch the temps just a little cooler and I wanted to catch the moon in its blacked out phase, which occurs on Tuesday June 3rd.

Till next year,

Don

farmer tx
07-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Don, The heat is the best part of Powell!:chilipepp:

RickSE
09-04-2007, 12:26 PM
My kid's last day of school is June 5th, so I probably would not be able to get up there until late Thurs or Fri if we stick with these dates.

Man I wish we could get this to work in September, after Labor Day weekend. We just came back from our Labor Day trip and the weather and water was incredible. The water is so warm this time of year and the air temps are starting to drop.

We just camped last weekend (Labor Day) on the beach we pulled up on for Powellfest in Oak Canyon. If the water level is similar next year we should consider heading up to Oak for camp. It's a long haul but close to a lot of mid-lake stuff, 10 miles to Dangling Rope, 2 miles to Rainbow Bridge, 16 miles to Escalante and about 10 miles to the San Juan arm. There are a heck of a lot more beaches in Oak then we saw at Powellfest.

Also, we tried getting back to the sandy beach in Clear Creek, Escalante, but the shelf we walked the boats across in June is now 3-feet out of the water. It was pretty interesting to see the change. We dropped the kids off so they could run back to the waterfall.

needadonzi
09-10-2007, 10:52 AM
It’s been about 14 years since I’ve been down to Powell. Where do you launch from, Bullfrog, Wahweep…? I guess I’ll need a houseboat as you are not camping where you are launching from, or is it worth getting a hotel and launching daily?

DonCig
09-10-2007, 01:43 PM
It’s been about 14 years since I’ve been down to Powell. Where do you launch from, Bullfrog, Wahweep…? I guess I’ll need a houseboat as you are not camping where you are launching from, or is it worth getting a hotel and launching daily?
We have been launching out of Wahweep.

Don

RickSE
09-25-2007, 02:08 PM
What about moving this to June 19th - 22nd?

The 18th is actually a full moon which might be cool. It'll certainly aid our night time driving skills. :rlol: The weather may also be better in late June vs. early June. I'm a little worried about the spring winds.

Just a suggestion.

needadonzi,

In 2006 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42006&highlight=powell) we all stayed at the Wahweap hotel and used the ramp next to the hotel to pull out and put back in. We had 9-boats that year and it worked pretty good. Last year, 2007 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47125) we rented a houseboat out of Antelope Point Marina, drove to a beach 20 miles up lake and stayed on the houseboat. We had 4-boats last year. The houseboats have 4-rooms/queen beds so if we get more then 4-couples interested in coming and houseboating then we'll need another houseboat. Or those not interesting in houseboating can stay at Wahweap and come out to the beach during the day. The houseboats are great and really give you every thing you'll get in a hotel, plus you're out on the lake at night.

I'm hoping this works out and we can get enough people interested to reserve another houseboat. Obviously we'd need around 8 commited parties to split the houseboat cost. We need some east coast guys to fly out, no boat necessary you can rent a Baja :boat: from the marina.

yeller
09-25-2007, 10:18 PM
I can't commit yet, especially after my flip-flopping on the last one, but Bobi and I really want to make the 08 gathering. :crossfing:

Bobi may be going to India in the spring. She hasn't been back since she moved here when she was 5. If she goes, we'll probably have to miss the Powell trip.

I won't know one way or the other until Feb/Mar.

RickSE
11-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Here we go man; they're finally talking about dredging the Castle Rock Short Cut on Powell. The National Parks Service is asking for public comment before making a final decision. It sounds like they could complete the project this winter if the assessment goes OK, meaning we could use the short cut next summer if the water level stays above 3600'. What this means is that anyone staying at or leaving out of Wahweap Marina would not have to run through the main channel, towards the dam & past Antelope Marina, to get up lake. :nilly: The short cut takes you through Warm Creek and then up lake a savings of about 12 miles each way and a lot easier on the back. When the lake was higher, everyone used the short cut but we haven't been able to go through since 2001 or 2002 due to the low water.

This is a big deal. If you're interested and willing make some comments to dredge the cut.

NPS Assessment Project (http://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cfm?parkId=62&projectId=20386&documentID=21055)

yeller
11-13-2007, 10:16 PM
June 5th to 8th. Is this the decided date? Reason I ask is Bobi may have to book her June holidays soon. A co-worker is talking about taking time off next June, so if we are to make it, she needs to get her request in first.

We've decided to go whether she goes to India or not. Only the length of our holiday will be decided by India.

yeller
11-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Here we go man; they're finally talking about dredging the Castle Rock Short Cut on Powell. ...... The National Parks Service is asking for public comment before making a final decision.
This is a big deal. If you're interested and willing make some comments to dredge the cut.
NPS Assessment Project (http://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cfm?parkId=62&projectId=20386&documentID=21055)Comments sent. Everyone should do this. :yes:

RickSE
11-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks Yeller,

I just responded to an earlier email from Don regarding a houseboat out of Bullfrog. Is anyone else thinking of coming along on this trip?

Yeller, if you come down, what is your interest level in a houseboat? I believe you were leaning towards hotel last year??

I’d still like to push this a little later in June if we could. The 5th-8th will be hard for us due to kid’s school and I think the weather will be better in mid-late June.

Trueser
11-14-2007, 11:09 PM
I Also think that date is too early in June. Throw me down for a maybe.

Kinda cutting it close to AOTH

yeller
11-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Rick, haven't decided yet on the houseboat. Have to give it more thought still.

Don has told me he is going 5th~8th, so if we select another time it will be sans Don. As long as there are no unforseen problems, we will be down in 08. We'll go whatever date the majority decide. Any time in June is good for us.....but, Bobi will have to put in for the holidays by the end of the month, so if no other date is decided by then, we'll book for the 5~8th.

Hopefully we can get a big turnout for 08, although I'm sure a 5~8 date will stop most people with kids.
Donziweasel said he wants to go. Should be able to talk zelatore into it. Lenny said he wants to make as many events as possible.....is Powell on his list? I don't know why more west coast people don't go. It is a must see lake.

yeller
11-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Trueser, I expect the 22 will be sold by then. Would you bring the Z29?

DonCig
11-15-2007, 08:17 AM
OK Crew, please post your thoughts on the following dates for the next DACA event.

1. June 11 - 15th
2. June 18th - 22nd

As soon as the participants log in we should fix the dates as solid.

I have to move on the houseboat out of BullFrog by the end of the month.

If the open the cut then I would probably pass on the houseboat and stay at Wahweep.

Thanks,

Don

fegettes
11-15-2007, 10:29 AM
OK Crew, please post your thoughts on the following dates for the next DACA event.
1. June 11 - 15th
2. June 18th - 22nd
As soon as the participants log in we should fix the dates as solid.
I have to move on the houseboat out of BullFrog by the end of the month.
If the open the cut then I would probably pass on the houseboat and stay at Wahweep.
Thanks,
Don

I am interested in a return trip, and like RickSE would prefer dates with a full moon. Just like Glen, I need to plan my time off early to make that trip.

Steve

farmer tx
11-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Between AOTH and catching up at work between the two it would be better for us the in June. The 18th to 23rd sounds good. Like Don, if the cut is open we will stay at Wahweap. Can't wait to be at Powell again.

yeller
11-15-2007, 11:25 PM
My personal order of preference is:
1) the original 5th~8th date.
2)11~15.
3)18~22.

I just prefer as early a date as possible because that trip will be the start of our boating season and the sooner I can start, the better. Sucks living up north when you love to boat. :canada:

DonCig
11-16-2007, 07:49 AM
If we want a full moon than June 18th is the date of the full moon. And the dates for DACA would be June 18th thru the 22nd.

Don

Trueser
11-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Don I'm sure we can find some MOONS.

My vote would be the 18th...

Donziweasel
11-17-2007, 05:51 PM
18th.

yeller
12-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Although there hasn't been a huge response, the prefered date seems to be 18~22. The wife has to book the June holidays really, really, really soon. I'll give this another week, but then the request goes in. We're going to book 3wks, from 7~29, so we'll be able to make either date. If the date changed to 11~15 before the holiday request goes in, we'd just move the start date of our holidays a week earlier. This will be the start of my summer, so the earlier the better. :yes:

DonCig
12-04-2007, 11:52 AM
OK, June 18th thru the 22nd are now the official dates for DACA 2008.

Mr. Alex Haig has spoken....LOL

RickSE
12-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Sorry, I've been quiet for a while on this; work, life and my mom have been overwhelming lately. The 18th thru 22nd sounds good to me. Unfortunately we probably won't know about the Castle Rock Cut until early 08'.

Don, did you get one of the 08' houseboat discount flyers in the mail?

I thought the houseboat was great last year, but what is the preference of those that may come in 08'?

Houseboat? or Hotel?

Hotels are about $150/night or less.

Houseboats are about $200-$300/day depending on the size of the boat and fuel used.

We had a 59' (12-person) last year but I noticed that the 40' (9-person) boats are quite a bit less per day if they meet the needs.

Just thought I'd open this up for input. If we do go for a houseboat it makes sense to reserve early, early Jan., for the discounts.

Donziweasel
03-17-2008, 06:00 PM
18th works pretty nice for me, but no promises, got a lot going on. Don, want to split a houseboat if I can go? I will bring the Donzi and my jet/fishing boat for those stripers. Plus, it is good for transporting gas, firewood, or anything you don't want it the houseboat or your Donzi.

Hmmm.... my spring/summer schedule-
March 27-April 16- Bahamas (bonefishing)
May 21-28- Mobile, AL (inlaws 800 year anniversery)
June 10-12- New York (wedding)
June 18-22- POWELL!:wink::wink::wink:

Preliminary reports are Powell is going to gain 40-60 ft., possibly more if the runnoff starts early, but in this case, will lose more later in the summer.

Cuda
03-23-2008, 12:56 PM
What does DACA stand for?

zelatore
03-23-2008, 02:35 PM
So what's the general game plan here? I see people talking about houseboats, hotels, launching daily or not... I've never been to Powell, but with the big snowfalls this winter it looks like a good time to try to fit it into the schedule.

Since it's about 1600 miles round trip, I'm just wondering what to expect before I suggest to the better half that we spend 2 days sitting in the truck.:wink:

Right now, I've to got the first week of June and July booked, but the 18-22 looks clear (pending her work travel) so there's a fair chance I could make the trip.

Somebody just needs to give me some ammo to build my case!

gcarter
03-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Don, of course the more boats the better, but two years ago Elaine and I flew to Vegas, rented a car, drove to the lake and bummed a ride. It was great fun and well worth it.
We won't be going this year......gotta get the TR finished.

yeller
03-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Zelatore, I don't think anyone has booked a houseboat yet, and don't know if they are. When I went 2yrs ago, everyone stayed at Wahweap resort. It is the best location, especially if the cut is open (which should be with the amount of snow this year).

Myself, I'm going to stay in town, save a little cash and put it in the boats gas tank. The town of Page is only about 10min from the Wahweap.

You definately should make the trip. It's a lake every boater should visit at least once in thier life. 1600mi isn't bad, it's 2700 round trip for me. This isn't a structured event. It's just a location and date for people to meet.

People I believe are going for sure are:
Myself
RickSE
FarmerTX

DonCig said he was going, but has since sold his boat so not 100% sure if he still is.
Trueser may go.
DonziWeasel is thinking about it.
Fegettes???

farmer tx
03-23-2008, 09:17 PM
DACA = DONZI ADDICTION COUNSELOR ASSOCIATION
Thats what we book our rooms under to get the discounted rate. We have another thread going with the correct dates, see if you can post future info on it.

Thanks,
Mark