PDA

View Full Version : Steering play

KerrLake
07-10-2007, 12:27 PM
I have excessive play in my drive that I have traced back to the clevis pin. I can't order any replacement parts from Merc. because they are not available for TRS. Any suggestions other than hydraulic steering? By the way it is on an 86 z-25.

Brian

KerrLake
07-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Here is a picture.........

VetteLT193
07-10-2007, 12:31 PM
http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury_parts/986/200.cfm

is it number 32 on that list? I found it through google, but I'm sure other people have them too (like sponsors here?)

MOP
07-10-2007, 05:08 PM
I doubt if it was tightened correctly in the past which allowed the clevis loosen, I can see it is cocked which means the hole in the arm is egg shaped. The right way to fix that is to drill it for a tight bushing set in Ultra Loc to take up the slack. You can rig it with JB Weld I have seen that work Ok, you must to something or it will just not last.

Phil

BUIZILLA
07-10-2007, 06:12 PM
I just went thru this with my TRS a few weeks back.... that ball stud pin needs two shim stock stainless wave washers and a middle nylon spacer between the arm and shaft... what happens is, there is not enough thread on that ball stud so without the middle hardware the lower nut can't tighten sufficiently as it runs out of thread, and the ball stud wiggles in the hole... the washers, stud, and spacer ARE still available, however that's the wrong pic to locate them, I fixed mine with the new correct hardware, it appears mine was never done right from the beginning... I do know this, the aluminum block on the outer end that connects the lower arm to the top arm is now NLA, as I bought the last two in existence 8 weeks ago...

JH

KerrLake
07-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Hey Buiz, does that mean I won't be able to fix it without the nla part?

BUIZILLA
07-10-2007, 07:48 PM
what you need is on this page

you need 2 nylons, 1 wave, and 1 lower washer, so the nut can snug down the stud,, put white grease in the ball seat area, loosen 1 hole after snugging nut, then insert the cotter pin

it's a pain in the ass to hold the washers together during assembly....

BUIZILLA
07-10-2007, 08:01 PM
the NLA item I got is 31.... my clevis holes were loose..

if it wasn't for a nice young girl at BAM, who spent two days searching the country, then told me where to buy them direct in Seattle, I never would have found them...

my steering is as tight as brandy new now, it was a DRAMATIC difference

KerrLake
07-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks.

LKSD
07-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Evidentally availability for those washers is limited to dealers with them on hand. They are no longer made. Jamie