PDA

View Full Version : boat recommendation, donzi 16 outboard question also

syclone01
07-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Thinking of getting a donzi 16 or 18, the 18 would be real tight getting it in my garage, even if the trailer had a detachable tongue...had a 17 in garage with detac tongue and it had a little room left over. So i'm limited in length. I had a four winns u17 with fuel inj 302, ran 62.5gps...great little boat. I'm looking at getting another boat and trying to find something with the deep v like i had 24degree, for chop and ride, and in the length that will fit in my garage. Whatever i get, it will have to be capable of being modified to at least go 70-75mph. I don't mind if I have to do engine work, that is just fine, one of my hobbies anyways. I've also seen some outboard donzis, what years did they make them, and what were the hp ratings....How stable is the donzi hull, be it 16 or 18 when you have the power to go 75mph?? Do they tend to get any chinewalk? My U17 would get a slow chine walk over 61mph lightly loaded, with 4 people it would still do 60 real stable....basically i don't want a boat that i can't modify to go faster if the hull will not be stable....Any recommendations? I've seen some cobalts and other similiar hulls....anybody with any donzi outboard results....hp and speed?
thanks, damon

smokediver
07-08-2007, 07:25 PM
It all depends on how you trim it ... the more trim ... the more it wiggles around ... mine will chine walk but just setting the trim and the tabs seems to settle it down ... oh ... it's for sale !!!!!!!!

syclone01
07-08-2007, 09:31 PM
how fast can you go without any hint of chinewalk??? and at what speed do you start to get the chine walk....my boat will do 60 on gps all day long without any chine walk, just over 60 which I can only get by trimming up a little bit more i start to get the slow chine walk....thought about getting some tabs for it, would probably make it more stable....but of course will scrub off speed...I have 220hp now, with alum heads, cam, gt40 intake etc....my motor is basically a 5.0 mustang motor, I could get a good usable 320-340hp, which of course would make boat go faster, but i can't really use the speed i have now. Was wondering if tabs on my boat, and extra hp would get the speed up and avoid the chine walk till at least 65-70mph...? How is your boat at speed? link to it for sale...? My bro lives in sarasota, was down there for the races last weekend.

smokediver
07-09-2007, 05:28 AM
I don't know how to link to it , it is in the donzi's for sale section the 1998 1+3 16 classic . it is red and white ... my boat handles fine unless i over trim and then it can be a handful ... it really only takes a little trim for me to be able to reach my max speed , anything more will only gain me a little but at the expense of handling . 2500 rpm is what i cruise at and that is right at 40 mph in my boat ... 3200 - 3500 is 50 .... 4000 is 60 ish ...

BigGrizzly
07-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Forget the OB in your particular quest, too much involved.