PDA

View Full Version : Chris Craft x-19

v-drive
07-08-2007, 01:57 PM
I have a friend who is selling a 1970 Chris Craft x-19. What I thought was unusual about the boat is a Chris Craft engine tag under the hood that says the engine is a 302 chevrolet. I checked the casting numbers on the block, intake, and distributor and they all check out as what a 302 chevrolet would have used. I have never seen a 302 in anything but a Z-28 and thought it was odd for a boat. Do any of you guys remember anything about these boats, and do you think this engine could be original.

rustnrot
07-08-2007, 04:22 PM
I'm no expert but never heard of CC using a 302 block. Please tell me more info about boat, a friend of mine is interested! Is it the v-drive XK19 or I/O? I have an XK18 (totally different boat).

v-drive
07-08-2007, 09:14 PM
The boat is stored in a barn about 30 minutes from my house. Its a I/O not a v-drive. My first thought on the 302 engine was that somebody transplanted another engine, but that doesn't explain the metal plate in the engine compartment with the tune-up specs and 302 stamped on it as the cubic inches. The boat is 100% complete but would need a total resto to be nice. I didn't see any delamination but it would probably need paint, interior and the engine rebuilt.

BUIZILLA
07-08-2007, 09:23 PM
what is the block and intake casting numbers??

v-drive
07-08-2007, 09:54 PM
I don't have the numbers in front of me. I looked at the boat a year ago because the owner wanted me to tell him what he had. I wrote the numbers down, came home and got my CHEVROLET BY THE NUMBERS book and looked the block, intake and distribtor up. These were basically the easiest numbers to see with the engine in the boat. All three checked out as what a 302 chevrolet would have had. I told the owner that the best I could tell the engine matched that metal tag stamped in the engine compartment. All of this took place a year ago. I saw the owner at the lake yesterday and he said the Chris Craft was for sale and wanted me to make an offer. Im only semi interested in the boat, I'm just more curious about the 302. I'V been around boats all my life and have never heard of this being used as a marine engine.

rustnrot
07-08-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm ready to Make an Offer. I will be going past Knoxville next Weds. and could stop by. If you are not interested, how about giving an old Univ. Tenn grad (me, 1979) the phone number of the seller?? Thanks, Tom

v-drive
07-09-2007, 06:55 AM
Tom give me a call at 865-376-4511. Richy.

Craig S
07-09-2007, 09:58 AM
You can check the brochures, but I believe that's only the '69 and '70 transdrive (Chris Craft speak for stern drive) models of the XK-19 (or Super Sport) that Chris Craft used the 302. They made quite a bit of it at the time in the advertisements. 320 hp as I recollect. But my brochures are at home. The V-drive model used the 230 or 235 hp version of the 327. IMHO

BUIZILLA
07-09-2007, 10:03 AM
now THIS is information we need to see... :yes::yes: :crossfing:
the 302 was rated at 290hp in the Camaro in 1969, the last year of production... :wink:

rustnrot
08-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Gang, this Richie fellow (his ph number is in an earlier post in this thread) just called me. It looks like he will take $5k for this boat. I've got enough projects and so does everyone else here in Augusta.

I thought it would be gone by now. Here is what I know, windshield is good and there, hardware is all there so he thinks, and it has a trailer that needs tires to travel. Has been sitting 12 years engine turns over but he has not put gas in it to start it. Has a volvo outdrive. Interior there but shot.

Boat is near Knoxville, TN.

If this had been a v-drive I would not be having to type these words......

mphatc
08-16-2007, 09:06 PM
I clearly recall the CC X 19 . cool boat, and the 302 power . . lots of freeboard in comparison to a Classic 18 , even more than a Minx. There were several on Winni that were used for water ski racing . . one in particular was very quick "Kozy Kim" IRC . and they ran these hard . wide open for the 65 mile marathons . and were fast in rough water .

Back then Winni was not like it is now . . :( . . You could water ski in front of the Weirs on a weekend :yes:

Mario L. . . showing my age :(

98shovel
08-16-2007, 10:14 PM
gm quit prod. of the 302 in 69 so the block should have 69 casting numbers on it if its from gm

mrfixxall
08-16-2007, 11:14 PM
If it were a 302 their should be a DZ on the serial # on the head serface on the front of the block above the water pump..not much power in the bottom rpm range but when they hit 4000 rpm look out that sucker comes alive,,at leaste my ole mans did..