PDA

View Full Version : Trim tabs

brwn234
07-07-2007, 10:09 AM
I've finally been able to use my '00 22zx I got at the end of May. I love it, but I have a few questions. When at speed and the trim tabs are up the boat will lean to the left. Weight is evenly balanced. I can straighten it out with the tabs by pushing the right side button down a few seconds. But then the faster I go the more I need to adjust it. I'm kinda confused about this. I've been thinking about getting a tab indicator to make things easier. Is this normal? Are there any tricks or am I just overlooking something. Also, the left tab button operates the right tab on the stern and vise versa. Whats up with that? Man I feel like a newby.......

zelatore
07-07-2007, 10:46 AM
All pretty standard stuff from what I've seen. Granted, I don't run a zx.

Do a little searching on the board and you'll find lots of people talking about the wiring of the trim tabs. Basically, it's done that way to simplify it for you. If you're cruising along and want to lower the port bow, you push the port bow down button. This actually lowers the starboard tab. The mechanics mays seem backwards, but what matters to most people is that it's easier to understand how to get the result you wanted without having to think about which tab affects the boat (some people would never be able to grasp it if they were wired 'straight').

As for the list at speed, I suspect you're just feeling the effects of prop torque. I don't know your hull, so one of the other guys can put their $.02 in on that one.

Trim indicators: I like 'em. My boat does not have an indicator for drive or tab trim and I plan to add a 3-way indicator soon. I've tried boats with them, and they're very helpfull, especally when you're new to the boat. Eventually, you'll get to where you can pretty much drive it by feel, but even then it's good to have a reference there on the dash.

At least that's my opinion. It's possible somebody else might think differently :wink:

BigGrizzly
07-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Your engine is not trimmed high enough.

MOP
07-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Like Griz says trim out a bit more, the boat will be faster and tend to lean less from the prop torque.
The criss cross wiring is an industry standard, I for one believe it should be left alone for safety sake in the event someone else operates the boat or it is sold. It make perfect sense, when you push the button it does exactly as stated on the switch, reverse the wires and it is wacked out doing the exact opposite. Reversing the wires is like putting your under ware on backwards something just is not going to come out right!

Phil

BigGrizzly
07-07-2007, 11:24 AM
As much as I hate the way the switch is wired I agree with MOP.