PDA

View Full Version : Classic 454 / 440HP....???

Squiggy111
07-06-2007, 12:15 AM
I'm new to this site and have been a Donzi Owner and Fan sine I was a kid. have currently owned my 1984 22' classic , with a Mercrusier 454/440hp ,Trs drive , since 1986, 480hrs......I was wondering if anyone has any info on production #'s for 1984......how many were made with this particular power package?......

superhatz
07-06-2007, 02:24 AM
Pretty sweet......!

Any more pics?

chappy
07-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Squiggy,

Welcome to the board. Don't take this debate personally, just a bunch of very knowledgeable people discussing your powerplant. Good thread, I've learned a lot. Thanks for posting it.

Good luck,

Rich

FUELPOWERED
07-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Man, that thing is rare...like sushi. Rarer than a hornet with a bench or a criterion. I think the MSRP with that powerplant was astronomical back then. That's why you never see any 22 with more power than a 330. I've never even seen a 370 in one.

smoothie
07-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Nice! I like the valve covers....

Pismo
07-07-2007, 07:19 PM
I have the Powerboat Mag issue which covered the release of the 420 and the concurrent termination of the 400 and 440. They also introduced a 575 at the same time. I will find it and post more info. It has prices as well.

MR MAGOO
07-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Very cool boat! Nice package, that was a very expensive option back then.

Back around 1990 or so, I looked at a Criterion with the Mercury Hi Performance 440/TRS at RPM boat sales Somers Point NJ. I still wish I bought her!

Kurt

Pismo
07-07-2007, 08:28 PM
My Mac works fine, posting this right now on a iBook G4. Looks different but fine.

f_inscreenname
07-07-2007, 11:11 PM
I would love to see a parts list for it. Cam spec's, head #s, valves sizes. 440hp out of a stock looking bottom end is something I may want to look into.

BUIZILLA
07-08-2007, 07:54 PM
welp, after spending over 3 hours doing a spreadsheet of parts lists, from 4 vendors, reviewing 3 1/2 years of my restoration efforts, paperwork and research, including my Merc parts invoices from Blanchard Machinery and Marine Express, Merc. microfiche, and blowing up the above pic's for detail, I see someone has decided to delete the correct parts facts... so be it.. :shark:

my notes from my 2004 file show your hull number should be #71, and was factory equipped with a 440/TRS, the ONLY 440 TRS ever put in a 22.... rare animal.

nice boat.

JH

Squiggy111
07-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Buizilla,
Sorry I'm just getting back on here to check up?....Thanks for all the comments and info. I'm stunned that this is a one of a kind package!!!!....WOW!!!!.....I'd have never thought that.......My hull # is DMR220710384......I always figured it was somewhat unusual or rare cause for the pasy 20 years I've never been able to get insurance on this boat!....as soon as they see the 440hp they always deny it.
I'll post some more pics as soon as i figure out how to do it like the poodle man?
I'd have answered sooner but this weekend ran the Donzi up the Ohio to Madison, Indiana for the Unlimited Hydro Races. I usually take a 380 Santego / Carver we have . This is the first time in about three years I took the Donzi out of storage, serviced her,and flew up there in about 35-40 min. I forgot how much fun that boat is, She is stored always inside and does get lots of looks....
?? Am I correct in assuming the DMR....= Donzi Marine
220....=identification on 22' Classic
71....= hull #
0384....= March,1984
Is that an accurate guess?......how & where do you have access to all that info???.....I've got all the original paper work on this boat from the original letter from Donzi, signed by a dude named "John Chisholm",... the original operation & maintance mannual from MerCruiser, along with a factory one sheet flyer from Mercury marine calls it a 440 CYCLONE......
Specs: ....HP......440
Cly.....V-8
Displacement.....454 cu. ci.
Bore & Stroke......4.25x4.00
Compression ratio....8.6 : 1
Induction......4 barrel
full throttle range......5000
Drive unit .....Trs
States .....as standard equipmwnt.....Single four barrel carb,special Hi-Performance Cam,Roller Rockers & Tuned Exhaust, This package can be ordered with TRS, MCII SSM, or MC SSM III, Stern Drive Units.Written in Red ball point pen is a figure of... $16,144, some one , The original owner I assume wrote directly over the pic of the motor pkg..... I don't know if that was the price of the Compleate boat or just the power pkg????
Also I have a mannual from a Fiberglass Co. that came with the boat when I bought it , the Co. name is 'The Ferro Corporation'....I guess they could have been the supplier for the resins and gelcoat Donzi used then.
Also have all the other mannuals for other equipment on the boat ......the "quicksilver" controls mannual,....jensen radio mannual,....Ds-2 depth sounder mannual,......Bennett trim plane ,.....Teleflex steering instructions.
I'd love to have one of you guys to tell me what ??....if anything ???....does the docs add to any value( Not that I would sell her).,...but if she is trully a one off production model and that can be demonstrated , I need to find where I can insure her at least for value if it is significant?
The boat now has 487 hrs and motor is all original, and runs like a scalded dog!....with just me and 20 gallons of fuel, right conditions, right trim.....70-72mph .
Again thanks for all the input, Glad I found this site!
Ward
Louisville,ky

Squiggy111
07-09-2007, 11:25 PM
I bought the boat in Madeira Beach , Florida.....Guy I got it from I believe was the original owner , he owned a few surf shops down there, I saw the boat in his driveway, and just stopped and knocked on his dorr and asked him if he'd sell it to me?.....anyway long story short, I ended up buying two Donzi's from him to get this one, that was the only way he'd sell it....so I got a 1974 0r 1976, 18' with a 427 Holman Moody sideoiler I also repainted , put a new interior in it , never used it much and sold it about 10 years ago, it was white with a teal stripe when I sold it.
I'd like to have some opinions of value on this 22' Classic, I guess I'll see if I can get some insurance somewhere??......what are the guys with the 100ph big go fast Fountains, American Off Shore. Velocity's doing for Insurance???....they can't be going naked?

superhatz
07-09-2007, 11:59 PM
How many offers have you had?........Poodle....are you sure you're the first????.....:wink:
It's a really sweet boat......I'd almost trade my Magnum for it.....:yes:

Squiggy111
07-10-2007, 12:24 AM
I read the info on the powerboat article that was posted on another thread, interesting info......that was a lot of cake in that day....I remember!...I was 30yr old then and and my motor was strong too!.....what do you think athe value is on this 22' Classic should be??......I'm curious......you guys are more up on it then I've kept myself?

Pismo
07-10-2007, 07:09 AM
A 25" Mirage Plus prop would buy you 2-3 mph, but the cleaver is so original looking.

BUIZILLA
07-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Hi Ward.... small world, I was born in Louisville, St. Matthews to be exact, but lived in Anchorage, somewhere way out Bardstown road, my family used to own the first auto parts store there at 608 West Broadway, Haas Auto Parts, from the mid 30's to the late 60's.... not there now as you know....

what you have is unique, but i'm value stupid, however if Superhatz wants it, i'll take his Magnum :wink:

i'm not privvy to the build list you have, but I did use your basic *package* in the parts purchase circus to restore my TRS Criterion...

with the farther forward engine placement of the TRS setup, and forward steering station, I would absolutely use a 25 Turbo prop and shelf the cleaver.... an M+ has too much stern lift for that combo... you have a 74-76 mph boat with the right prop, and re-installing the GIL exhaust...

also, your tangerine color is about as unique as your power package...

If it was me, i'd restore it absolutely as factory delivered as possible, with current internal engine and tranny tweaks now available. My guess is by now your valve springs are way relaxed as it is, so don't push your luck, or you may trash your original 440 block and heads...

Jim

Squiggy111
07-10-2007, 01:01 PM
I moved here to Louisville from New Orleans in '65, went to Trinity High School, and to Bellarmine College....I lived in St Matthews all thru high school,and now live in Anchorage...Go Figure!....where did you live in Anchorage?
I just had one of the 454's in my Carver redone, do you think it's time to do the top end in the Donzi, with 487 hrs on it plus the age?
Will the prop change alter the RPM's at full throttle?

Squiggy111
07-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Forgot to ask???.....What would be your suggestions to prep for a suyvey??......I just had one done on my Carver for insurance this year and it was $300.00 for a Carver ,380 Santego.....guess I'll have to price one on the Donzi ....or remain self-insured?
I contacted a guy in vegas from this site , that can make a replacement windshield for me, I'm talking with him and exploring a couple of options.
The plexi is 3/8, and needs to be heated bent and rolled, has anyone you know had one of these remade?

BUIZILLA
07-10-2007, 01:40 PM
wow, small world, my mom went to Trinity, and also to Bellarmine... she lived at 4005 St. Ives Court in St. Matthews, which is where her mother lived until she died a few years ago, my mom's dad was VP of Bell & Zoller Coal Co in Louisville. My mom now lives in Lexington.... I don't know the Anchorage address until I ask my dad, but it was on a few acres, because he had a horse... I know my dad's father had a light blue tripower J2 Olds conv back then, and he was always hauling ass down Bardstown Road with it with the top down...

sorry, off topic, I digress..... we have a windshield guy down here that is amazing, and there is another in Ft Lauderdale as well, I hear the Vegas guy is pretty good... engine > if it was *ME*, I would yank the heads, replace the springs and do a GOOD valve job with Serdi equipment, freshen the gaskets, rebuild the carb, replace the fuel pump, and go play for awhile longer, but that's *ME*. If your feeling real froggy, yank the thing and go through it, update the cam, lifters, rings, bearings and the 23 year old valve springs can't be any good no matter what, especially if the engine wasn't rotated every 30 days or so while in storage, or just do the valve job, springs, and top end, and run it till it dies...

Jim

Squiggy111
07-10-2007, 10:01 PM
I bet you meant your Mom went to Sacred Heart Acadamey, Trinity is an all boys high School & Sacared Heart is the all girls school..I graduated in 1970, have been a water rat all my life since growing up in New Orleans & Waveland, Mississippi.....original Hometown was Plaucheville,La.....about in the middle of the state of La.....whopping population of about 300 and growing about 3%/yr.
Depending on what years you lived in Norbourne Estates, at 4005 St. Ives Ct.......we lived about 6 houses apart......I was at 4015 St. Ives Ct. from about 1976 to about 1979/80......did you know the Rattermans,the Stokes,or the Altobellis's?......what year did you leave St Ives Ct......How long in Key West?

Squiggy111
07-10-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm gonna be easy and mild on operating her the rest of the summer and am gonna take your advice and go thru the motor this winter & then just detail her up a bit more, as original as she ever was!... I'll only use her a few more times this summer, not more thatanother 3hrs.......I'll be back using my Carver now that I'm done redoing the Starboard motor, just got it all finished & tweaked today!
If you want a good laugh go to our website www.omalleyscorner.com and click on the yellow button on the opening page that says..."REDNECK Yacht Club".....view the videos of the current and past weeks of where we all gather on the ohio river. The party Cove is located on the Indiana side of the river , just east of the tip of six mile island!.....be a great location to Host A Donzi Convention/national meet.....other than Key West that is!....I don't get much better than that!

superhatz
07-10-2007, 11:48 PM
This may go without saying but when you rebuild the engine make sure you maintain the original appearance.......:)

Dr. Dan
07-11-2007, 04:29 AM
:spongebob:Squiggy,

Nice Boat.... I can't speak to the specifics of your combo... but I can speak to the way to Insure your boat for what you value it at.

I have a 22 Classic that I poured ridiculous amounts of $Jing into and I had it surveyed to confirm the condition and have an objective documented opinion as to validate the "Agreed Value" I was seeking for the repowered & reconditioned boat.

I am currently insured through Worlwide Marine out of East Lansing, Michigan through "Progressive" and it's all full disclosure ... 500 HP and 80 mph capabilty so its all insured and documented, and its at the value I wanted. They will do whatever if you are willing to pay the premium.

The key would be to get a good Survey and to get an "Agreed Value Policy" then you will have that jewel insured the way it should be. My guess is that you wanna locate an insurance company first and follow their specific protacol for going through this process.

Just my $.02 but I have had no insurance issues since the repower 3 years ago.

Good Luck... also Buizilla and Poodle are good peeps, they will shoot you straight and tell ya reality with no BS, good luck to you.

Doc of the Bay :bonk::beer:

BUIZILLA
07-11-2007, 07:43 AM
yeah, your right about Sacred Heart, in fact I was just reminded that I probably went to Trinity myself for less than a year in about 1959-1960 during a *marital dispute* time frame... my dad went to Kentucky Military Institute (that would esplain a few things... LOL) last time I was at 4005 was summer of 1970 when my mom's dad died, and then the family war started, nice neighborhood, but never went back, i'm positive my mom's mom lived there while you were there though, wierd bird... I live in Miami now, why I don't know, but I do...

anyways.... this is a great board for info, and if you can't find it here, it just doesn't exist on this planet...

Jim

Squiggy111
07-11-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm glad I found this Site, It'll be nice to have input from some folks like youself that share the same interest & passion for these boats.....I dropped mine off today at shop to get a new cockpit cover made ( as original), and also a new full mooring cover......The only other thing I need is to get a need windshield done, my cover shop owner told be today he knows a guy here that can handle the remake of the windshield.....I'll be shopping him right away......I also talked with the the shop that just rebuilt my 454/330hp out of the Carver and discussed what i'll be doing with the DONZI motor..

Please give me suggestions as to what all think the best thing to do on the refurbish will be???.....I'm for sure gonna want it to look exactly like Factory!.....as far as internals I could use some help.

Squiggy111
07-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Buzilla,
Hate to say in 1970 I was graduating high school, and lived at 4017 St Germaine Ct, on the other side of the Norbourne Estates Subdivision, remember how it that great grass median down the middle of Norbourne Blvd.....it wasn't till 1976 or so that I bought the house on St. Ives Ct.....I was onlyabout 23-24 yrs old and it was a pretty mature neighborhood.....I had started in the Bar & Nightclub Biz....and the age of 21,....when I bought that house on St. Ives Ct.......I think most of the neighbors looked at me like the Turd falling in the Punch Bowl.....between the parties,card games, the noise..... I hit a good lick on the house back then,,,,,,,when I left ,the neighbors were relieved,....in those days when I started up a boat on the trailer ,or a hot rod in the garage with straight pipes ....they weren't Happy!

Squiggy111
07-11-2007, 10:48 PM
Dan,
Thanks for the heads up on the insurance, If you don't mind?.....what kind of premium are they hitting you up for?....do you think location where the boat is used makes any difference?
What year is your 22',.....any pic's..??

BUIZILLA
07-12-2007, 07:21 AM
Buzilla, Hate to say in 1970 I was graduating high school, and lived at 4017 St Germaine Ct, on the other side of the Norbourne Estates Subdivision, remember how it that great grass median down the middle of Norbourne Blvd..... OMG, this is tooooo scary, I graduated in 1970 too, when my grandfather died in June of '70, I went to Lville, and I lived at 4005 for a month or so, and hung with a few peep's that lived on that wide street and grassy area, that would have been one or two streets directly west or maybe kinda north of St. Ives Ct. I vaguely remember a playground / park, public school, or something over there :pimp:

anyways, i'm sure people here can help you with your restoration questions..

JH