PDA

View Full Version : 270T, Bravo, TRS or Arneson???

Wildfire
12-29-2003, 09:41 PM
Just some discussion at this point, but the options are stick with the Volvo 270T or switch to a Bravo, TRS, DPX, Arneson or ???.

The Volvo is in good shape. The Arneson needs a rebuild and cylinders. TRS and Bravo would need to be purchased. Money is an object and I like the smooth shifting of a velvet drive. There is sufficient room to move the engine forward to accomodate the tranny.

BTW, the boat is a Magnum 25 ~6,000lbs and has a BBC, looking for 450hp. If anyone is interested in a complete 270T, that could affect the decision.

Forrest
12-30-2003, 10:35 AM
Bravo's and Bravo parts are plentiful, and for that reason, you may want to go that route. Of course, you'll need to glass-up the Volvo cut out.

TRS drives are good and tough, but parts are getting scarce. Most TRSs that are available used are over-priced since most TRS buyers purchase them to replace their broken TRS drive rather than go the the expense and time to have it fixed or convert to something else. Still need to glassed up the Volvo cut out for the TRS.

Arneson . . . well its in a class by itself. You own it now, and it can't cost too much to have it fixed, but there are other large expenses and re-engineering considerations when going to the Arneson.

If you can find a used one, the DPX transom assembly will fit your 270 cutout with only minor trimming. IMO, that would be the way to go. The DPX gives you intregrated external-hydraulic steering, counter-rotating props for perfect balance, no hydraulic transmission, and high HP reliability. Down side is that props are expensive ($1200/set new), and if you can't find one used . . . well, then you should probably forget about it.

BigGrizzly
12-30-2003, 10:47 AM
I have had everthing except the arneson. The trs needs the velvet drive because there is no trans in the drive. This will cause a HP loss. The 270 is as strong as the bravo1 and has trim. My point is if money is a concern than stick with the Volvo 270T. I would put the money elsewhere in the boat and enjoy it!

Forrest
12-30-2003, 10:53 AM
As usual, the Grizz is right . . . look at all the money you'll have in you pocket if you hold tight with what you have!!!

Wildfire
12-30-2003, 03:29 PM
Guys,

This is exactly the kind of discussion I was looking for - good advice from people who have been there and done that.

The 270T is complete, just needs to be refinished. There is some slop in the steering, but full hydraulic steering will cure that - Does anyone make a set?
Will a nosecone do anything for me besides add to the ZOOM factor?
Would you stay with the water pickup in the drive or go external?

Thanks again!

Wildfire
12-30-2003, 03:34 PM
I just remembered, my cousin has a late model DP drive available. Would that be a worthwhile upgrade if the price were right?

And another, what should the X-dimension be on a 270? For some reason, I think these were mounted low in the water back then. There is significant glass work to do, so filling the transome a little is not a problem.

oldLenny
12-30-2003, 04:13 PM
I would be interested in your 270 T to be sure so long as it is V-8 ratio..."PZNR...blah, blah, blah..."B"

GEOO
12-30-2003, 07:27 PM
I would run the Volvo as is. Its a great drive but has a lot of play in the top steering helmut. But is a strong work horse.
I would not spend the money and add full hydraulic steering to a Volvo; I would spend that money and get a Bravo.
I've been there... You will add money for the steering, then more money finding props, ect...
A Bravo with normal steering is fine for 65-70 mph. A Bravo will give you 2-3 mph??. Props are easy to find.
Volvo DPX is a great idea, if you can find one.
A TRS is like switching from a Vega to a Pinto.
If performance, speed, high hp, and you like to play with your set up, then the Arneson is the way to go.

Wildfire
12-30-2003, 08:35 PM
OK, I think the majority say to keep the Volvo or go Bravo.

At this point, there may already be 3 Arnesons for sale, but here's the ad just in case. Selling this will definitely narrow the choices.

1982 Borg-Warner/Arneson ASD6 drop box, gear drive. I believe it is 1.43:1. This is drive only, no trim or steering cylinders, no prop.

Now for the bad news, the gears are chipped (~$330 from Rik) and the shaft won't turn. It needs a new bearing on the main shaft for sure, I THINK that is why the shaft won't turn.

If someone is interested and we can find somebody to loan us the special spanner wrench, I will disassemble and take pictures. I definitely do not want to overrepresent this thing, it is what it is and it is definitely not turnkey. There are definitely some good parts there, and the drive may be rebuildable. Rik quoted around $1,700 for a basic rebuild. Let me know if you are interested.

$600

CDMA
12-30-2003, 09:02 PM
GEOO:

Volvo DPX is a great idea, if you can find one.
A TRS is like switching from a Vega to a Pinto.
Wish I saw baxter chew on this one... wink

GEOO
12-31-2003, 07:02 AM
Wildfire,
To view or replace the gears in the drop box all you need to do is split open the front case from the rear case on the drop box. The tail shaft can stay on.
To split the case you remove the 8-10 8 point 3/8"? bolts on the back of the case. Then you take a punch and place it in one of the two holes next to the holes were the bolts were and hit the punch with a hammer. You work between the to holes and the case will come apart. (After the bolts are out caulk is holding the case together.)

Wildfire
12-31-2003, 01:22 PM
George, thanks for the information.

Besides the chipped gears, the other major problem is the bearing on the front end of the drive shaft (immediately in front of the CV). From what Rik told me, I need the special wrench they make to remove the plastic retaining ring around the swivel ball. Then, we can see what is really going on in there.

ITTLFLI
01-05-2004, 04:11 PM
If someone would decide to run a DPX you can call Chris Reindle. I think he was looking to move a few!

513-706-3199