PDA

View Full Version : King Cobra Rotation

showtime
07-04-2007, 08:58 PM
My buddy has Fountain with twin 454s and we discussed that his props turn the opposite direction than my '90 Z33 Crossbow with twin 460s and King Cobra props turn. I believe I read somewhere that the drives can turn either direction so can I switch props from side to side and switch the shifter linkage to see if this will make any kind of difference or do I have to get new props for them to work? Any ideas on what effect this may have on performance? I saw a mention of this in a Powerboat tech question and it may have some effect on bow lift vs transom lift.

mrfixxall
07-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Swap the drives and NOT the props,gears get meshed a certain way after a period of time and they say it could cause the drive to brake..if yours are spinning inward then leave it alone,,the boat will go slower with the props spinning outward..

Barry Eller
07-04-2007, 09:31 PM
I believe I read somewhere that the drives can turn either direction so can I switch props from side to side and switch the shifter linkage to see if this will make any kind of difference or do I have to get new props for them to work?

Yes, that is correct...switching shifting linkage...

No, you probably don't need new props. Use your existing props to test. Rotating inward will cause a change in handling and speed. different than rotating outward. You do have to exchange props to the other drive.

MOP
07-05-2007, 06:05 AM
This has been hashed out so many times on just about every board, it would be worth your time to search several forums read the results before you go through the bother.

kk89z33
07-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Which King Cobra?? The top hump (later version) it is easy to change rotation. Early (flat top) units had to swap the whole lower unit. Back in the early 90's I called Donzi on my 89 Z-33, they said, best all around to have the props ''turn out'' on top, and just a little ''toe in'' on the drives. The Z-33 liked the transom lifted with spinning them out. I had the early Cobra and never was able to make the switch to see what happened. Worth a try... Kurt