PDA

View Full Version : New 18' 2+3 owner

staarrl
07-04-2007, 09:20 AM
This is a great forum!
At 49 I have just purchased my first Donzi! It is titled as a 1967 but after reading your threads is a 1967 triple hatch possible? It has a 289 Holman Moody motor with a 250 or 270 Volvo outdrive which I will be replacing with an Alpha One for trim control and the fact that I know Mercruisers better. Can anyone tell me what kind of HP a 4 barrel 289 H/M motor makes? I will be using a Mercruiser made Volvo adapter plate to convert the drive. Any thoughts about the adapter plate?
Thanks, Bob

mrfixxall
07-04-2007, 10:54 AM
leave the volvo on for now,,you really dont need the trim unless you running in shallow water...ive been running mine like that for 21 yrs and i still have the same untouched drive on the boat..the only reason im updating my drive now is because im tired of fighting the steering wheel with 400++++ hp..
good luck..

chappy
07-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Welcome to the board. That looks like the '67 from Absecon, NJ. I'm not sure of the details you asked about, but I'm sure others can help here. Best of luck with her.

Rich

gcarter
07-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Welcome and good luck w/your project!

DonziChris
07-04-2007, 12:07 PM
I thought the previous owner said the boat had a fuel leak. Was it something other than the fuel tank. Nice boat good luck!

MOP
07-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Keep the Volvo it has lasted many years and still going Merc in no way can compete with that, if you need trim hunt up a Volvo package!

Phil

SurfGreenTele
07-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Congrats, good luck with her. :cool:

penbroke
07-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Keep the Volvo.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the madness!

Frank

Kirbyvv
07-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Welcome aboard. I've got a 280T(trim) transom assembly that I'll sell you. Just installed one on my x-18 with the original volvo 280 drive. Don't know if it will work on a 250 or 270 though. Also put on power steering. Trim is real nice, but power steering is far nicer. PM or e-mail me if interested.

vonkamp
07-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Welcome to the boards. I gotta say it too. Keep the volvo.

Kirbyvv...Could you post some pics of your trim and power steering setup? I may want to change mine while it's apart and looking for some ideas.
Thanks,
Barry

Magicallbill
07-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Don't get rid of a Volvo!!

We have 2 restored 16's and not only do the Volvo's work well, they are an integral part of what makes the older boats cool.

We're gonna hunt down another Volvo drive just to keep on the shelf in case of failure to our current ones.

Kirbyvv
07-05-2007, 08:43 PM
I wouldn't give up the volvo either, they are bullet proof. I put trim on for convenience in shallow water, but the power steering really helped fighting the steering torque. Here's a shot of the extra trim transom assembly and one on the boat. Barry, don't have a shot of the power steering, but will take one this weekend. Keep the volvo!!!!

staarrl
07-08-2007, 08:34 AM
I thought the previous owner said the boat had a fuel leak. Was it something other than the fuel tank. Nice boat good luck!

Thanks for all the responses. Yes it's the one from Absecon. Haven't figured out the gas leak yet but will have a temp tank in for now and in August I will pop the top off and pull the tank. Other than that the hull is solid and the motor and drive appear to work fine. I haven't had it in the water yet but am hoping for next weekend and then I'm taking it up to Lake Muskoka in Canada for two weeks for lots of running. Still trying to get a read on the HP on the HM 289. According to some old Mustang literature the 289 could achive about 280 hp with a four barrel and 10.5 to 1 compression.

Thanks, Bob

BigGrizzly
07-08-2007, 11:23 AM
First welcome, next Keep the Volvo. The weak link was prop availability, but we have that covered. as for power steering and 400 hp I did the Teleflex hydraulic internal and their Power assist electric unit. the hydraulic fit right where the cable did and the power assist will go any where and it was a easy install. As for the Hp on that motor it was about 250, I have the original. price list and I can look it up for you

DonziChris
07-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Temp fuel tank sounds like a good idea, Can't blame you for wanting to use your new boat. Good luck keep us posted, take care Chris

staarrl
07-09-2007, 05:36 PM
By popular demand I'll keep the Volvo! I do have two outdrives so how can I go wrong? Thanks to Big Grizzly for the HP info. 250 sounds like a good start. I will want to look for a trim and power steering unit.
I'll keep you informed. Bob

Lenny
07-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Welcome, keep the VOLVO. For many of the above reasons. The tilt/torque steer thing will get to you but not for a while for sure. Then make the mods that I and others are doing.

Congrats !!! :D