PDA

View Full Version : Powellfest, Aug 2007

RickSE
07-03-2007, 12:34 PM
August 16-20, 2007, Lake Powell in Navajo Canyon.

This is not a Donzi specific event but we'd fit right in. The guys and gals in my area have done this three years in a row in August. It actually had its beginnings several years prior as a weekend family Luau on Powell. The main events will be a poker run and a big cookout where they roast a full pig underground while the poker run is in progress. The details are not complete yet but the dates and location are. On the 16th they'll take a houseboat up to a big beach in Navajo Canyon to set up camp then take it home on the 20th. The houseboat is there for shade, drinks and potty, everyone else camps on their boats, the beach or they go back to hotels at night. The poker run and pig roast usually happens on Saturday with some other events during the weekend. I am planning on attending this year, Fri-Sun. I'll post updates on the schedule as they come up.

Powell Fest 2007 ( http://www.hotboat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145220)

Pic's from Last Year.

RickSE
07-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Limited information still but this is what they did last year for the Poker Run.

Again this is for 2006, but should be similar for 2007.

"The Poker Run will start Saturday Morning with Stop maps being handed out at 9:00 am and the Run leaving at 10:00 am from the Powellfest party site located approxoimately 7 miles up Navajo Canyon on Lake Powell.

The Grand Prize for this event is a 5 Day- 4 Night 59 ft Houseboat rental donated by Lake Powell Resorts and Marina. Â*There are also other prizes for High and Low hands including Boat Bling Hot Sauce and Vinyl Sauce and Gift Certificates from other locations. Â*

All proceeds for this event are being donated to The Another Way Foundation, which is a crisis management group for battered women located in Page, AZ.

In conjunction with this, there will be a Luau pig roast being held at the Start/ Finish location at Navajo Canyon afterwards.

Poker Run cards are 20.00 and Dinner is on a donation basis."

DonCig
07-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Rick, I plan on arriving on Thursday night unless the temps go over 105.

Don

RickSE
07-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Found this picture from last year. It's a little hard to decipher but it's a map to the beach they'll be at in Navajo.

DonCig
07-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Here is a link to some great boat photos from Powell.

http://www.hotboat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156205

farmer tx
07-11-2007, 01:40 AM
Rick, The small canyon before the party site that looks like a "t" is where Polly and I tie up when we get to Powell early. We know where it is and are thinking about showing up. That is a very tight canyon for very much boat traffic. We may just hang back and run with the slow boats.

RickSE
07-11-2007, 10:53 AM
... That is a very tight canyon for very much boat traffic. We may just hang back and run with the slow boats.

Yes it is. I'm not sure how they handle the run out of Navajo, if they take off from the beach or start outside of Navajo Canyon. I do believe they run reasonable far up lake, maybe up to Rock Creek and back. I'll see if I can get some more detail on what they're planning or what they did last year. I know there are more pictures from last year, just haven't found them yet. Another site where they discuss this event is http://www.lasvegashotboats.com .

Mark, I believe this is one of the beaches Glen saw when he flew in.

farmer tx
08-05-2007, 09:49 AM
We just got reservations. Arrive on the 15th depart on the 19th.

See ya there:boat:

RickSE
08-06-2007, 10:35 AM
We just got reservations. Arrive on the 15th depart on the 19th.
See ya there:boat:

Wow, so you are coming; I wasn't sure if you were. Sounds like you'll be in a hotel?? The beach may get a little crazy at night. :party: They're having a "Miss Powell" contest Friday night but they're waiting until after the kids go to sleep on the beach. :wink:

So far Patti and the kids are out for this one. Both kids have their final soccer games of the summer on Saturday the 18th and Patti coaches Elizabeth's team so they're stuck here in Flag for the weekend. I'm waiting on a few of my co-workers to tell me if they're going with me and should know this week. I'll be there with or without them but probably won't show up until Friday morning and return home Sunday.

Don, are you still coming?

Mark, let me know if you need a place to stop over.

We're still getting rain here every day and got hammered last night. It's supposed to dry out though later this week so it should be nice by next week.

DonCig
08-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Wow, so you are coming; I wasn't sure if you were. Sounds like you'll be in a hotel?? The beach may get a little crazy at night. :party: They're having a "Miss Powell" contest Friday night but they're waiting until after the kids go to sleep on the beach. :wink:
So far Patti and the kids are out for this one. Both kids have their final soccer games of the summer on Saturday the 18th and Patti coaches Elizabeth's team so they're stuck here in Flag for the weekend. I'm waiting on a few of my co-workers to tell me if they're going with me and should know this week. I'll be there with or without them but probably won't show up until Friday morning and return home Sunday.
Don, are you still coming?
Mark, let me know if you need a place to stop over.
We're still getting rain here every day and got hammered last night. It's supposed to dry out though later this week so it should be nice by next week.

Yes, I will be there!!!

RickSE
08-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Yes, I will be there!!!

Cool.

Mark, I just saw your post on HB. Are you bringing the Crit.?

farmer tx
08-07-2007, 10:21 PM
That's just my hs.c sign in,no the critter is staying in Texas partially torn apart.:shades:

RickSE
08-08-2007, 11:24 AM
That's just my hs.c sign in,no the critter is staying in Texas partially torn apart.:shades:

That's what I thought, just thought I'd ask.

Looks like I will have some passengers. Two of my coworkers are coming and maybe a third.

DonCig
08-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Weather looks good, and the water is always perfect at Powell.

Don

Lenny
08-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Never even noticed this post :rolleyes:

Deneen is in LA for 2 weeks right now. I will tell her where you "guys" are. Maybe she can get away from her new "nephew" and come see you folks.

:)

Donziweasel
08-14-2007, 08:08 AM
You guys are killing me! Ahhh, next year........:)

farmer tx
08-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Leaving at 8:00 in the AM CST should hit Flag at 4:00 PM EST. Gas up,give Rick a shout and head north for a couple more hours. I plan on scouting Navajo Canyon thurs. about lunch and making a run up river. I will be looking for Don and Rick at about noon on friday. Donziweasel you need to load up and come on down, hell your boat may run like it was at sealevel at Powell. You will be droping at least 3000 ft.

Later, Mark

DonCig
08-15-2007, 10:50 PM
OK boys and girls,, here it is..

Thursday evening- Pot Luck
We will have the houseboats to cook on. Basically just bring whatever you want to contribute wether it be something to grill, cook, microwave, etc.. We'll just throw it all on the table and go from there.

Friday AM
Bacon, sausage, or ham.. and eggs. Bring what you want and we'll cook it up for you. Rule of thumb is 1/2 lb of bacon or sausage per adult, per day for breakfast. 3 eggs, per person, per day. 1/2 lb of cheese per couple, per day.

Friday Lunch,,

You are on your own

Friday Dinner- Cajun Shrimp Boil

1/2 lb of shrimp per person
1/2 lb of Italian Sausage per person
1 ear of corn, per person
1 onion, per family/ boat/ group

Sat am-

Same stuff as friday, but add one package of tortillas and 1 avacado. Also if anyone could bring some salsa, it would be appreciated.

Sat lunch- Once again, you are on your own

Saturday night Pig Roast!!!!

We supply the meat. If you don't like roast pork, you can bring something else and we will grill it up for you.

Every group/boat/family should bring one can of baked beans to add to the pot as well as one side dish. Side dishes can include potato salad, green salad, desserts, etc...

Sunday am- Breakfast,, same as above plus left overs,,

There will be fridges availible in the houseboats to put stuff into so don't worry about cooler space.

Other things that would be greatly appreciated if they were to be brought and donated to the group are as follows

2 rolls of paper towels

1 garbage bag per day
2 gallons of drinking water
1 box of plastic cutlery
1 bag of charcol min 10 lbs
one bundle of packaged firewood for the pig pit
anything else you can think of.

Also, we will be setting up a Bloody Mary bar on the upper deck of the houseboar for the mornings. Bring contributions and we will turn Duckbutter loose!!

Anything anyone wants to bring can be thrown into the mix, so it's all good..

If anyone has any questions, PM me..

Mardonzi

DonCig
08-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Powell, you have to be there to experience it.
Good and Bad, you always leave with respect and appreciation.

DonCig
08-20-2007, 10:20 PM
Second Batch

DonCig
08-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Third Batch

DonCig
08-20-2007, 10:27 PM
The fourth batch.

DonCig
08-20-2007, 10:29 PM
The fifth batch.

RickSE
08-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Great pictures Don. I only wish I would have pulled my camera out but we were all too busy keeping ourselves in the boat to take pictures. :)

The Poker Run was a blast and I don't think any of these guys expected to see the little Donzi's hanging with them at the front of the pack. I believe we had 18 boats in the Poker Run and somehow we ended up starting dead last coming out of Navajo Canyon for the 10-mile run out to the main channel. I passed a few boats in the canyon but decided to hold back and wait for the channel since it was just too tight in the canyon. Once we hit the channel I took an outside line and passed everyone but the Skater to get to smooth water in front. The second leg was the best, running on and off WOT for 5-10 miles with a 31’ Scarab w/500HP’s and a 35’ Fountain w/600’s on one side and a 30’ Eliminator and 30' Skater w/850’s on the other side, only to look back and see farmerTX with his bow in the air running as hard as he could a ways back off my starboard side. At the second stop the passenger from the Skater came up to us and said "...we can't stop laughing every time we see you guys fly by us...", even though they had way more boat then we had. These memories will last a lifetime.

What a great weekend. We all had a blast and I've never driven my boat so much in one day, just over 200-miles on Saturday alone.

DonCig
08-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Great pictures Don. I only wish I would have pulled my camera out but we were all too busy keeping ourselves in the boat to take pictures. :)
The Poker Run was a blast and I don't think any of these guys expected to see the little Donzi's hanging with them at the front of the pack. I believe we had 18 boats in the Poker Run and somehow we ended up starting dead last coming out of Navajo Canyon for the 10-mile run out to the main channel. I passed a few boats in the canyon but decided to hold back and wait for the channel since it was just too tight in the canyon. Once we hit the channel I took an outside line and passed everyone but the Skater to get to smooth water in front. The second leg was the best, running on and off WOT for 5-10 miles with a 31’ Scarab w/500HP’s and a 35’ Fountain w/600’s on one side and a 30’ Eliminator and 30' Skater w/850’s on the other side, only to look back and see farmerTX with his bow in the air running as hard as he could a ways back off my starboard side. At the second stop the passenger from the Skater came up to us and said "...we can't stop laughing every time we see you guys fly by us...", even though they had way more boat then we had. These memories will last a lifetime.
What a great weekend. We all had a blast and I've never driven my boat so much in one day, just over 200-miles on Saturday alone.

Without a doubt, the most fun, expensive weekend that I have had in a long time. Expensive, yes, I just cut a deal to buy a 1995 Donzi Classic 22, no matter how much power I put in my Classic 18', my back would have never survived the run we did on Saturday. The water way too rough for me to have stayed in the front. As a matter of fact, my back is still sore from the 200 miles of WOT running we did in the 22's. Rick, I should have a 500HP Donzi 22 by later this fall. So maybe next year I can hang with you.
By the way, farmer TX was holding her back to 4200 rpm for most of the run. His boat flies through the air with the greatest of ease!

Din