PDA

View Full Version : My performance is falling off!

Tank
07-03-2007, 09:03 AM
My performance is falling off!
No not the boat me!:wink:
Hi all
Some my know I bought a St Tropez knowing it needed work.
Well you know the job gets bigger as it goes!
Browny gave me a push to get me motivated THANKS Browny!
I am afraid I am losing steam!:bonk:
So I am starting this thread to keep you informed and keep me going!
I am not doing a restore, just making her sound and seaworthy.
So poke me from time to time, it will help keep me going and I will post photos!
To start I am rebilding the CC as close to new as I can, it should be good.
Her is the first photo.
Morgans Cloud
I here you got yours in the water after long restore! GOOD JOB!
Thanks for the e-mail I need it that!
Tank.

BigGrizzly
07-03-2007, 11:05 AM
This is the part
i hate the glass work. Looks like your doing it right.

Morgan's Cloud
07-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Now that's what I call 'Restoring a part' ! It won't be easy but in the end you'll be glad you did . The original console is so nicely proportioned to the rest of the boat that a non - original replacement just would'nt be right.
I hope to get a group of photos together and ask MP if he could insert them for me in a possible post I'll make about mine now that it's finished .
Don't worry , you'll get plenty of encouragement from me !
Steve

Tank
07-03-2007, 03:35 PM
TANKS Big Griz don't know about right but its strong!
Yes its bin a long time since last glass job 15 years? and all glass no wood!
My first time working with wood and glass.
One step at a time that’s glass. Some is setting up now.
Hay Big Griz This boat is very light in the front and with the Hook in the bottom from the photos I have seen here they FLY!!! I am thinking I don’t need big ears and have my sights on a 14X24 Ultra I just hope my motor can spin it. I think it can with small ears.
Your 2 ct would be a appreciated.
Morgan Cloud Thanks for the photo of your CC it helped.
And all your other photos!
Hay is yours a DP or a SP Volvo
Glade to here yours hit the water!!!!

Tanks
Brian

f_inscreenname
07-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Hey Tank
The job always gets bigger and never seems to end with these old boats but its worth it. Trust me. You want some encouragement? Check out SuperNova19.com I have been to hell and back so many times I should get frequent flier miles.

Morgan's Cloud
07-04-2007, 06:51 AM
Brian ,
I've now got the very newest SX/A single prop drive.
The old 4V/ 351 with alpha had 1.5:1 gears with a 14.5 X 21 Merc aluminum cupped prop and the engine turned to 4200 .... exactly what it was supposed to.
I doubt that what you have in yours is much if any more than what I used to have so I think it's unlikely you will be able to turn a 24" prop.
I once tried a Merc Mirage prop of the same size and the engine could turn no more than 3800 rpm. Now there's a prop with some bite to it.
Steve

BigGrizzly
07-04-2007, 09:37 AM
My props are big but not really big eared. The drive needs this type of prop because of the foot size. These props were actually do on the Volvo drive We did the final pre production at my place on my boat. 15 props went into the dumpster. When the said they wanted to test on my boat I though they were kidding. They showed up with a truck load of props and gauges. A very long Day. These guys don't stop for lunch. In every case it out performed all other props especially in the handling department. Check out Donzi.org , Kirby did an evaluation as well as mattyboy. Everybody I have sold them to loves them. They work great on 20 Cigarettes and Hornets too. Magic bill and his son love them. These props are modern designs not 30 year old stuff. Don't get me wrong the ultra is a good prop and ahead of its time, but that was yesterday. What happens if you spin the hub? It will take forever to fix if it can be done right. I hav had all the props and now only that prop is on my own Corsican. Therwe is plenty of time to talk about that. So keep up the good work, and I expect a ride when I see it!! I happen to have a secrete love affair with the St Tropes anyway . I would have one if the wife would let me have another boat. Btw I have spent about 40 hours behind the wheel of one back in its day, diving from it of the cost of New Jersey.

Tank
07-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Hi
Love that screenname! And tanks I have bin to that sight , have read many of your posts. Tanks and tanks
M/C
What HP was that 351 merc? I think my Volvo 290 350 with 9.3 to 1 com. is 307hp at cr.
1.61 is lower then the merc. I also think the small ear on the ultra is good for smaller hp.
Griz did not mean yours are large ears sorry my bad only bigger than the ultra!
Yes ultra is old Tec did I mention my boat is 40 years olde so I figure its an upgrade!:wink:
From what I have read the ultras did not need that much HP.
If anyone is coming to NJ let my know! If this thing hits the water by then we can go for a ride!!!!:crossfing:
PS I have more glass drying!!!
Tank

Morgan's Cloud
07-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Soooo Randy , You've spent some time in a St T huh ? Well , that's usefull information to know :wink:
Brian , I believe that my old 351 was probably in the area of 235 hp crankshaft .. maybe 10 more max.
The new package is 280 at he prop but feels like a helluva lot more.
I recall that Volvo did make that odd 350c.i. motor with a rating of just over 300hp a while back. In the photo of your engine that I saw earlier it looked very much like my old engine that's why I was conservatively guessing that you would be in the same area performance wise as I was (used to be).
If that is in fact the 300+ engine you're in for a lively ride !

Tank
07-06-2007, 01:16 PM
I need to run some ###
My friend at the boat yard my be mistaking he seemed to think
the stock Holly meant bigger 307 hp but he did not read the ##.
I will pull the tag and read all ## and look it up!
I have found more than one model with stock Holly’s.
If you won’t something don right do it yourself!
I think its a 507A 275 at crank 245 at prop
Its hard to see the ### on the tag and don't have time to pull it off now.
Thanks for the input.
Tank

Tank
07-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Hi all
OK it is a 570 A 275cr 245 prop HP!
It sonds strong on the gardin hose ho knows?
I will fined out when I try to tern my ultra!
Sorry Griz for now I will try this ultra, I may call you for a 15X21 I think if this dos not work. I think 15x21 will me right You know better then me!
Hay I did more glass work!!:bonk:
Getting ther slow but sure.
Time to look at the front hatches flore and seat.
It will not let me lode the photo waaaaaaaats up with that??

BigGrizzly
07-11-2007, 08:08 PM
I think going with what you have is a good idea it will give you a base line. who knows it may be just what you want.