PDA

View Full Version : Chaff's Your Ass!

Dr. Dan
07-03-2007, 07:43 AM
:spongebob:Well, I spent the last few days waiting for a New Hose to come in, I had discovered a sharp edge was slowly doing some vibrational damage to it over the course of time...and I thought I would post this... cause we really don't talk about it much here.

But "Chaffing Protection" for any wires, hoses, etc. I think goes overlooked,and even if the Hoses aren't chaffed or worn, do ya give them a once over every now and then? I usually do and that's how I found this "eventual Problem" on my SeaPump to Oil Cooler Hose.

I took Rooster Boys suggestion and cut up the old hose to place as protection in some of the areas on the new one, did a little Zip Tie action and Wha Lah! :beer:

Now I feel a little better... but it caused me to think, I wonder how many others ever really get in there and check around for lose nuts, bolts, fittings...etc? Good to do periodically... ya never know what ya might find...and how you will prevent some serious down time... by being "ProActive with Maintenance & Replacement" on some of these often overlooked and forgotten areas.

Safe Boating

Doc - Too Big For His Bilges :wavey:

RickSE
07-03-2007, 11:58 AM
My company, W.L. Gore (Gore-TEX), has a product called Gore Joint Sealant that I use. It's an ePTFE (Teflon) tape product that is extremely soft, cushy and pliable, comes in various thicknesses and has adhesion tape on one side. It's like a little pillow for my hoses. :wink: Plus I can walk down stairs and pull it off the shelf. I've got this stuff in several different locations on my boat to keep things cushioned.

I don't know why there arent more teflon based products in the marine world.

Gore Joint Sealant (http://www.gore.com/en_xx/products/sealants/gaskets/GORE%E2%84%A2_joint_sealant.html)

Cuda
07-03-2007, 12:18 PM
I did the same thing, split a hose to use for protection. You can also buy the split foam they use to insulate refridgerant pipes. I've bought it at Home Depot before.

f_inscreenname
07-03-2007, 06:31 PM
I use those plastic wire looms. They come in all sizes, cheap and look like they come from the factory.
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/8708/71no2.jpg

Barry Eller
07-03-2007, 07:25 PM
There's only 1 "f" in chafing....
Oh yeah, route em right, they don’t chafe...
Otherwise like 'fn says, the wire loom stuff works well, comes in fancy colors for those desirous of achieving copious amounts of, oh say RED, in their bilge...
Hide it from flyboy...
I need some yellow...:yippie::jestera::smileybo:

Dr. Dan
07-04-2007, 07:18 AM
:eek!:Rick I will check that stuff out... I have used the Split Pipe Insulator before... and I do use the "Color Conv. Tubing " ... and I agree if things are routed correctly you don't have to worry about it... but, I have yet to see anyones engine compartment that couldn't at least use a quick inspection to check for "that wrong rub".

This hose was just touching the "Eddie Marine - Offshore Motor Mount front nut....and it was slowly digging into the Hose. Waiting for the hose gave me the opportunity to change the Oil before Lake Winni...

Barry I think your Engine is gonna be the prettiest I have seen in awhile. Can't wait to see it all together... looking real good.

Good Stuff... I plan on doing some "pressure testing" this weekend...if things behave... and meet up with the Undertaker on Sunday to do some Northern Bay Running and Sunning.

Have A Great 4th!

Doc of the Donzi Revolution :smash:

gcarter
07-04-2007, 07:48 AM
Hmmm..interesting!
I wonder if the GoreTex product would work in the intake manifold-block joint that's sometimes troublesome?????

Barry Eller
07-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Barry I think your Engine is gonna be the prettiest I have seen in awhile. Can't wait to see it all together... looking real good.

Thanks Doc...But as Forrest Gump once said, "Pretty is as Pretty does", I hope it runs as good as it looks!:crossfing:

I'm working on it this morning, the Revolution Marine Exhaust is now in place. As soon as my "BACK" stops cramping, I'll get back to it. I hope to have some progress photos to post this afternoon.

LKSD
07-04-2007, 10:10 AM
We use the split loom style stuff when ever we do an install or repower, resto etc.. It works quite well.. The hose over hose stuff works well too. We have also used that on some applications. The main thing is to protect the important stuff. It makes the job look nicer & cleaner too. The old sying an Oz. of prevention.. I know I would have to be on the water & have my day ruined because someone didnt take another 2 minutes to go the extra mile..
Dan, you did right by checking your boat.. You would be supprised at how many people dont. So many stupid problems could easily be avoided for a few minutes work.. :yes:
Jamie / Lakeside

glashole
07-04-2007, 10:17 AM
not to hyjack this thread but if the engine lid was about 4" larger on the width it would make it alot easier for us "full figured gentlemen" to actually do something besides just looking at the engine :bonk:

gcarter
07-04-2007, 10:35 AM
I personally like the "spiral" type....it automatically adjusts to constantly changing diameters, i.e., a wire bundle thats rapidly transitioning from more to fewer wires, etc.

gcarter
07-04-2007, 10:37 AM
I also used some of the more "heavy duty" spiral protectors (supplied by hydraulics stores) on hoses that are essential.

slapshot11
07-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Doc,
I had a similiar problem last year only it was the fuel lines. :eek!: The boys at Performance Marine noticed it during spring commissioning.
Norm

Barry Eller
07-04-2007, 09:46 PM
I need some yellow...:yippie::jestera::smileybo:
Got me a little piece of yellow....

Dr. Dan
07-05-2007, 04:17 AM
:spongebob:
Doc,
I had a similiar problem last year only it was the fuel lines. :eek!: The boys at Performance Marine noticed it during spring commissioning.
Norm

Yep, I check them pretty regular... too, fact is that without even the rubbing ...just the vibrational issues alone...can make ya have fits... I find stuff that always has to be tightened up... etc. I guess it's all part of the game. Some of the items I put some of the lighter Lock Tight on...like Header Bolts... all of the disimilar Metals have different expansion rates, it keeps things interesting.

Shea...one thing I found is if I have adequate lighting and a good fan blowing on me ... its not quite as nasty hanging on the sides of the Engine. I lay a Neoprene Camping Pad over the Stringers... and I have plenty of Towels and all near by to help out.

Barry...that looks good... the right color too... I have found alot of these little "Tuner Car" shops carry the off color Convaluted Tubing... most Auto Stores carry basic colors and sizes... but for true variety... I stop into the Home Boy Shops... or even Stereo Shops... they are all about Bling... and they love hearing what I am up too.:bonk:

I guess the real deal is that outside of the occassional Event... there are some people that only run their Boat a few hours a Season... then their are those that run the hell outta their boat and put on over 50 hours a Summer.... or worse... our Sea Dog Buddies who have several boats and run them year long.

The more ya run, the more these items are going to come up.... the more Gel Cracks, Spider Line Cracks and Dings are going to come about.... it's what eventually gives your boat its own character... all the Bling in the World is great... and all of the Horsepower is terrific fun ... but it all doesn't mean squat if the Boat doesn't run, or its down all the friggin time. Most of the fun I have at the Events is running next to my friends... and its a bummer everytime one of them is out due to some random Gremlin.... I hate random!

One thing I will say, weather it is with this current Motor or my original 454, I have been pretty lucky at staying fully operational at every Event I have been on and even just running in the Bay... with the exception of our Shift Cable 2 years ago... our little Donzi has never let us down... ever. And the Cable occurred during a shake down run up in Oyster Bay New York, with my mechanic... who ended up Towing us a long way back to the Marina in Mamaroneck.:wavey:

My Bilge gets washed down after Every major Event...and I check it for bolts, screws etc.... that end up there... its alot easier to spot a fastener if the Bilge is clean enough to distinguish the part from the crud under the Engine too! So its a good reason to take the time to keep it clean, painted and in good condition...its also quicker to spot important leaks... :eek!:

I get alot of comments about how ya keep the Bilge clean.. its like anything... if ya just stay on it.. it never gets too outta control. I usually do some Paint touch up once or twice a year... and it keeps it looking pretty serviceable I believe is the expression.:smash:

Soon its gonna be time to Split the Hull and redo all of the structural fun stuff....at that point I will pay special attention to all of the areas I have learned have been inadequate in the hulls original support configuration... and I will address alot of the common maladies I deal with in hopes that it will reduce...some of the cosmetic cracking etc... but the reality is its a boat... its gonna crack, chip, etc. if ya bang on it hard enough off a wake or whatever... so ya can be too fanatical I suppose... but then again.. to some of us... that's half the fun? :spongebob:

Doc of Vibrational Awareness :beer:

Cuda
07-05-2007, 06:25 AM
Doc,
Norm
What type of fuel lines are you running?

RickSE
07-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Hmmm..interesting!
I wonder if the GoreTex product would work in the intake manifold-block joint that's sometimes troublesome?????

George, PM me your address and I'll send you some.

At first I thought it would creep too much but then again it is intended for sealing major pipe joints.