PDA

View Full Version : Early Bravo question

gcarter
07-02-2007, 11:52 AM
The 22 Testarossa I recently purchased has a Bravo that came w/the boat (sold in Oct.'87) and does not have a oil reservoir inside the transom.
When did the reservoirs go into production?
Are they essential?
Would it be hard to add? :confused:

ITTLFLI
07-02-2007, 12:26 PM
George,

I think it was around 1990 or 1991. I'm sure someone here knows for sure though.

I think you would need the appropriate gimbal to add one.

Byron

ThunderMarineDave
07-02-2007, 03:08 PM
The consensus here is that the drive reservoirs were phased in during the 1988 model year. First with the round reservoir, and then later with the current square type.

You need a specific type of gimbal helmet to use the reservoir system, and give that yours is late 87 model, it is possible that you have the correct gimbal (but without the reservoir kit...)

If you call me with your transom assembly serial number, I can pull it up and tell you if the reservoir will retrofit. If you keep your drive full and check it regularly there is little advantage to the reservoir (other than convenience).

-David
THUNDER MARINE
800-984-3098
727-501-3183

RedDog
07-02-2007, 03:32 PM
The consensus here is that the drive reservoirs were phased in during the 1988 model year. First with the round reservoir, and then later with the current square type.
You need a specific type of gimbal helmet to use the reservoir system, and give that yours is late 87 model, it is possible that you have the correct gimbal (but without the reservoir kit...)
If you call me with your transom assembly serial number, I can pull it up and tell you if the reservoir will retrofit. If you keep your drive full and check it regularly there is little advantage to the reservoir (other than convenience).
-David
THUNDER MARINE
800-984-3098
727-501-3183

good answers :yes:

Cuda
07-02-2007, 03:45 PM
I asked a certified Merc outdrive mechanic what the exact purpose of a drive resevoir was. I told him I didn't see the sense in it if the drive didn't leak. He said that was exactly correct. It just give you some warning if your drive is leaking, if your drive doesn't leak, it does nothing. If your drive is leaking, it needs fixed anyway. It's just a buffer between the start of a leak, and rebuilding an outdrive.

MOP
07-02-2007, 04:09 PM
The oil reservoir serves two purposes, it besides being what I call a safety net if you have a leak it also relieves any pressure and vacuum changes due to heat in the drive. Prior to the reservoir the drive relied on the air above the oil to cushion the temerature change. Volvo $ OMC drives if over filled will blow the seat at the yoke! If the gimble does not have the provision there is an external kit that works fine, it uses a flex line through the transom.

Phil

gcarter
07-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks guys.
When I pull the drive off, I'll lookat the gimbal (I'll be rebuilding and refinishing it anyway....
I'll probably leave it alone.
Thanks again.:)

BUIZILLA
07-02-2007, 05:13 PM
if the gimbal provision is there already, I would probably add the reservoir...

Donzigo
07-02-2007, 05:19 PM
George,
i have two oil resevoirs which are aluminium with long hoses to reach the back of the transom. I am going to break them into two and sell them on the registry to anyone looking to mount them on the back of their firewall so they can fill them from the back seat. I figured $50 a piece oought to be a give away price. Let me know if you are interested.

Pismo
07-03-2007, 07:32 AM
The drive expands when hot creating pressure inside then it contracts when it cools creating vacuum (sucking in water when a leak develops). This puts extra wear/stress on the seals and hastens leaks. This is what the resevoir tank is designed to relieve and why it exists. You can easily add on regardless what type of gimbal you have. It is just a tube and tank, you just need to be able to get to the drive somehow. They are smart but the drive will go a long, long time either style. Change the oil every year and look for water.

gcarter
07-03-2007, 02:35 PM
OK boys and girls.....In the picture of the bell housing, is the hole we're talking about the O-ring sealed hole on the right?

MOP
07-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Yuppers! Now all you need to do is pull the engine to hook int up!

Quick edit! Does the drive have a little fitting protruding that matches up with the hole??? If not forget it!

Phil

gcarter
07-03-2007, 03:23 PM
The hole in the picture is blind, it doesn't go through. The upper gear case's mating area is a water filled void.
I also thought about a hose into the vent hole but it's covered closely by the steering wing plate.
Maybe a stand pipe through the dipstick hole.......