PDA

View Full Version : Transom mounted pickup question

DON-Z-26ZX
07-02-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm about to install a Latham transom pickup...
http://lathammarine.com/sea-strainers-water-pic.htm#1
I've got a couple questions about the install...does it matter if I install it on the port or starboard side? Also, how far from the center of the hull should I mount it? I've heard between 10-12 inches, but nothing exact. I'm wondering if I mount in on the starboard side, will it effect the water that the prop picks up, it would be much easier to mount it on that side, but it won't be that big of a deal to mount it on the port side. I called the folks at Latham, & they suggested I ask folks that have installed on a ZX hull to find what the particulars are. One more concern, will this pickup install cause my water pressure to increase? I'm not thinking it will, but I'm just guessing. So, anyone that may have a bit of advice on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

gcarter
07-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Good decision to go w/ an external pickup. I don't think it makes any difference which side you put it on. I think the main criteria would be as close to the gimbal housing as possible and to stay out of the stringer area.
I would suggest a Stainless Marine pickup instead of this one as it has studs and it's very difficult to drill so many holes perfectly paralell to each other through the thick part of the transom. The SM pickup uses through bolts and allows for a little variation. I would also reccomend a strainer while you're at it.

DON-Z-26ZX
07-02-2007, 10:42 AM
If I mount it closer to the center of the hull, won't that disrupt the water & effect the prop? That is just something I'm concerned about, but it is just a guess on my part.
I was wondering how difficult it will be to drill 4 holes straight thru, but the price was right on this pickup....I suppose I'll use the ole drill with a level on the back of it...:yes:
The strainer is on the "to do" list

MOP
07-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Having run into problems in the past it is good to keep it outboard of the props stream, I have had transducers raise heck requiring them to be moved and the holes filled. Randy (Big Griz) had a post about how high the pressure can get, you may need a pressure relief valve. On raw water cooled applications head gasket can weep on the outer edges, in the auto industry they do not go over 14-16lbs.

Phil

gcarter
07-02-2007, 11:25 AM
If I mount it closer to the center of the hull, won't that disrupt the water & effect the prop? That is just something I'm concerned about, but it is just a guess on my part.
I was wondering how difficult it will be to drill 4 holes straight thru, but the price was right on this pickup....I suppose I'll use the ole drill with a level on the back of it...:yes:
The strainer is on the "to do" list
I think you'll find you can't get it close enough to affect the prop. Take a look at this Volvo set up.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29727&d=1182707627

BigGrizzly
07-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Stainless Marine has one that mounts in the center. Rule of thumb right hand rotation port side left hand is starboard. Brownie at Stainless Marine will set you straight. The Lathem has a screen, but will clog long before the sea strainer and if I has it I would take the screen out and let the strainer do the work. The Lathem is a good unit too. I do however prefer Stainless.

gcarter
07-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Here's a couple more;

DON-Z-26ZX
07-02-2007, 11:39 AM
It is a RH rotation, so port side it is, thank goodness the Donzi has plenty of room to work, I'll just have to add a 90 degree fitting to run it over to the pump.
One other question, where is the best place to plumb in a pressure gauge?
I do appreciate the input

DON-Z-26ZX
07-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Here's a couple more;

Thanks for the pics, that clears things up....I like the ball valve idea, that would be good to have incase the impeller has to be changed on the water.

gcarter
07-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the pics, that clears things up....I like the ball valve idea, that would be good to have incase the impeller has to be changed on the water.
Or you bust a hose...that's why I did it.

gcarter
07-02-2007, 04:48 PM
One other question, where is the best place to plumb in a pressure gauge?

On the Minx I just sold, I used a Perko strainer which has a nice thick, flat, cast bronze cap held on with swing bolts. I bought a Livorsi water pressure gauge w/ an electric remote pickup. I was going to drill and tap the strainer cap and install the pickup there.
I never did it though because I couldn't find a place for the gauge.
The strainer cap is also a good place to install a zink in the strainer.