PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy flooring

Cuda
07-02-2007, 09:19 AM
After six months of basically dying on the vine, I picked up a job doing epoxy flooring at a county park. We have done this before, mostly on board Coast Guard ships. This is the first epoxy job we've done in three years. I love doing this stuff, and if we could stay busy doing it, I'd throw away all my tile tools away. I'm thinking of putting it in the cabin on the Formula. I pulled out the carpet a few years ago, and haven't replaced it.

The picture with the boxes on the floor is the finished product, with the hi gloss sealer on it.

Cuda
07-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Here is some information on the epoxy system we use.

Absolut Tile Inc
Our Seamless Flooring System covering is a 100% solid epoxy and natural marble compound, which comes in pre-measured kit form. It is mixed, poured out and troweled down into a completely monolithic slab, giving you a lightweight, flexible long lasting/durable, easy to clean, non-porous, chemical and fire resistant seamless flooring system.
With no volatile organic compounds, the poured epoxy flooring is environmentally safe, user friendly and easy to apply. There is no objectionable odor during application: Foodstuffs in restaurants or manufacturing plants do not need to be removed, and respirators do not need to be worn by installers. Special ventilation requirements are not necessary. People can continue to work in adjacent areas with out any inconvenience.
Cost savings are significant. With One-Step seamless poured epoxy flooring , you can in most cases eliminate costly rip-out of the existing floor. It can be applied over it your existing linoleum, ceramic or quarry tile, metal, wood, concrete, VCT, VAT and sheet vinyl. our seamless epoxy flooring can also be installed on vertical surfaces such as steps, walls, or fountains. Simply sweep the existing floor, clean to remove surface dirt and grease, then mix, pour out and trowel down the floor system - in a one-step application. A clear sealer coat is optional. The seamless epoxy flooring does not require a primer or bond coat due to its resin rich formulation. Ready to use within 24 hours, it will outlast other types of epoxy flooring systems.
Our One-Step seamless epoxy flooring can help reduce your slip and fall accidents. Our epoxy flooring is impervious to moisture, and provides a slip resistant surface, even when wet. Up to 85% of workman's compensation claims are attributed to employees slipping on slick floors. The National Safety Council estimates that the compensation and medical costs associated with employee slip and fall accidents is about $70 billion annually.
Our supplier has manufactured and installed the Epoxy One-Step Seamless Flooring System and resinous flooring systems since 1977. during this period, supplied our U.S. Government, industrial, and commercial flooring customers with the most advanced epoxy floor covering available. They are the prime supplier of epoxy flooring to the U.S. Navy and Coast Guard due the excellent overall properties of our product versus competitive brands. Our product has become commonplace in many commercial establishments such as Food Lion, McDonald's, Hardee's, Burger King in addition to military ships, hospitals, schools, nursing homes, vet clinics, industrial plants, dairies, bakeries and shopping malls.

tmdog
07-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Good post Cuda. Really could use that type of material for both garages. Can that epoxy cover cracks in the concrete flooring?

need for speed
07-02-2007, 06:50 PM
My parents used that stuff in the garage ... Made it really nice and it did hide the cracks in the floor very well!

Cuda
07-03-2007, 06:27 AM
Good post Cuda. Really could use that type of material for both garages. Can that epoxy cover cracks in the concrete flooring?
If it's large cracks, I fill them will ultraflex thin set, because they will telegraph through after time, small cracks probably won't show, but I fill them anyway. It only takes a minute.

Cuda
07-03-2007, 06:31 AM
The slab in this building had a lot of stress cracks. They said it happened when they had the vibrating steam roller flattening the parking lot. I put some ultraflex thinset over the cracks, becuase they willl telegraph though the epoxy. It won't matter if they crack more after it dries, because the epoxy will flex with it. This stuff was originally designed for Navy ships. The USS Ronald Regan has the same stuff used on the decks in the mess area.

f_inscreenname
07-03-2007, 06:56 PM
I forgot you were/are in flooring. Slow down there? Its a shame you were not closer. I'm sure we would have something for you to do.
I have also thought of using a epoxy on my inside rust stained deck. The only thing is I have removable hatches and thought it may be to thick to let the hatch slide into the floor. How thick is that stuff when finished?

Cuda
07-03-2007, 08:54 PM
I forgot you were/are in flooring. Slow down there? Its a shame you were not closer. I'm sure we would have something for you to do.
I have also thought of using a epoxy on my inside rust stained deck. The only thing is I have removable hatches and thought it may be to thick to let the hatch slide into the floor. How thick is that stuff when finished?
It's probably about an eighth of an inch thick. The thing is, you can't use epoxy outside, or it will "amber" as they call it. It doesn't hurt the epoxy, but it turns slightly yellow. If you use a red or yellowish color, you can hardly tell.