PDA

View Full Version : New Bravo 3 XR Drive from Mercury Racing

DonCig
07-01-2007, 07:21 AM
http://www.mercuryracing.com/products/drives/bravothreexr.php

And new props to go with the redesigned drive.
http://www.mercuryracing.com/products/propellers/bravothreexr.php

Having run a Blackhawk drive for the last 2 years I have become very spoiled with the non torque nature of a counter rotating prop drive.
Historically in the past Mercury has marketed the Bravo 3 to the heavy cruiser boat crowd, but this morning I noticed that Mercury Racing is saying that the have done some redesigns on the unit and they now have a XR Bravo 3 in the racing drive side of their website. Would somebody be kind enough to send me a unit for testing purposes?

BUIZILLA
07-01-2007, 07:44 AM
:eek!::eek!:

:yes:

LKSD
07-02-2007, 12:13 AM
They have had that new style with the new XR upper available for a little while now.. I dont know why they havent publicized it more.. It is a good strong unit.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

BUIZILLA
07-02-2007, 07:34 AM
how much cabbage is one of those ??

ITTLFLI
07-02-2007, 08:10 AM
This past weekend at the 20' Cigarette poker run, Neil from Cigarette ran a brand new 20 with this drive and a 496. The boat was fast and REALLY flew level! It looked like it handled excellent!

tiger lily
07-02-2007, 05:15 PM
^^^^ i thought that was a blackhawk, i had no clue it was a bravo 3, that boat kicked up a nice rooster tail too
*edit* maybe one of those 20's did have a blackhawk now that i think about it, i might be thinking of the wrong boat

ITTLFLI
07-02-2007, 06:38 PM
^^^^ i thought that was a blackhawk, i had no clue it was a bravo 3, that boat kicked up a nice rooster tail too
*edit* maybe one of those 20's did have a blackhawk now that i think about it, i might be thinking of the wrong boat

Tiger

The red one with the rooster tail did have a blackhawk. The yellow one had an xr3.

Glad you made it! You drove that boat like a bat outta he!! Sounds like there is some nice history behind your boat. What motor is in it?

tiger lily
07-02-2007, 09:53 PM
351w, that is seriously tired, it needs a rebuild or fresh one dropped in

roadtrip se
07-02-2007, 11:29 PM
This past weekend at the 20' Cigarette poker run, Neil from Cigarette ran a brand new 20 with this drive and a 496. The boat was fast and REALLY flew level! It looked like it handled excellent!

Looks like a cool package. Did Neil give you any inclination of the differences compared to the normal XR?

ITTLFLI
07-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Looks like a cool package. Did Neil give you any inclination of the differences compared to the normal XR?

I would say it did 75-76 but it sliced through the washing machine in downtown detroit like a knife!!

No we did not discuss the drive. Actually I was talking to Lipschutz(not phil) yesterday and he thinks it was just a regular bravo 3 on this boat. Either way the boat handled really well!

LKSD
07-03-2007, 07:37 AM
how much cabbage is one of those ??

I dont know for sure as I have not sold a new one yet.. I have only seen them.. Judging from the Xr prices I would guess merc would probably be retailing them in the neighborhood of 10k ish.. Again Im just guessing base on some of thier other stuff.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

Dr. Dan
07-03-2007, 07:59 AM
:smash: Oh Boy if I get one of those Suckas, then I can be a Rooster Boy too? Hmmmm decisions decisions.... always soo many choices for irritating the Evil Twin... please don't let Dwight see this...then he'll have to test "Twice As Many Props" ...

Let me see, this drive, with an ITS Box .... could be way cool, or could be a waste of money....wait a minute.. I own a boat... it's always a waste of money! :spongebob:

Doc of Fraternal Twin Tendencies with Full Steering Envy :wink:

LKSD
07-03-2007, 08:53 AM
:smash: Oh Boy if I get one of those Suckas, then I can be a Rooster Boy too? Hmmmm decisions decisions.... always soo many choices for irritating the Evil Twin... please don't let Dwight see this...then he'll have to test "Twice As Many Props" ...
Let me see, this drive, with an ITS Box .... could be way cool, or could be a waste of money....wait a minute.. I own a boat... it's always a waste of money! :spongebob:
Doc of Fraternal Twin Tendencies with Full Steering Envy :wink:

That would be cool with an ITS, can you say bling cha ching! lol... :D Jamie

Dr. Dan
07-04-2007, 07:35 AM
Calm down o Doctor of the rapidly emptying wallet.. We have plans for you after 'sota....

Ok well ..we might need to extend the conversation on that one a bit off line some time before hand... but my interest is peeked. :smash:

Gosh... if I recruit the Miami SeaDogs in my skunk works then next Spring in Kentucky... I might be far enough ahead where I can't even smell the burning Rooster Feathers?

...but who knows... I hear there might be "Scorpions" in dem Lake Cumberland waters... course nobody has seen pictures of this Phantom Scorpion... mind you but ... I did hear a rumor or two.

Doc of Latham Tendencies :spongebob:

BUIZILLA
07-04-2007, 07:51 AM
Danny, your spot is open... :wink:

BUIZILLA
07-04-2007, 08:16 AM
sorry for rambling......

does anybody know if the new design props for this drive will work on a standard BIII drive??

just curious........ :wink: :crossfing:

Morgan's Cloud
07-04-2007, 09:39 AM
sorry for rambling......
does anybody know if the new design props for this drive will work on a standard BIII drive??
just curious........ :wink: :crossfing:
++Utilizing the same mounting hardware these new propellers can be used on standard Bravo Three, X and XR. Recommended to run on big boats with big power (496 through 525HP). Enormous cup is built in to the trailing edges of both front and rear props offering tremendous planing performance in addition to some of the best mid-ranging cruising numbers you'll ever see. Top end numbers are generous for most applications and if you plan on switching from the standard Bravo Three (example 26" pitch) to the new Bravo Three XR (plan on running a 25" XR) to match the RPM of the standard 26 pitch. Pitch range today is 23", 24", 25", 26", 27" and 28" pitch and soon on horizon is 21" for performance Sport Cruisers. ++
I wondered the same thing .... Can't believe that Merc answered all my questions without any hassles .. lol

roadtrip se
07-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Ok well ..we might need to extend the conversation on that one a bit off line some time before hand... but my interest is peeked. :smash:
Gosh... if I recruit the Miami SeaDogs in my skunk works then next Spring in Kentucky... I might be far enough ahead where I can't even smell the burning Rooster Feathers?
...but who knows... I hear there might be "Scorpions" in dem Lake Cumberland waters... course nobody has seen pictures of this Phantom Scorpion... mind you but ... I did hear a rumor or two.
Doc of Latham Tendencies :spongebob:

Just keep on pushing my little twin. Funny thing, how people worry about snakes at Lake Cumberland, when there are so many other critters around that can bite you when you aren't looking like Scorpions, Blackhawks, and yes, even a nasty rooster or two.

I would like to see steering on that there Cobra.

MOP
07-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Opinion I think this new drive will work great on azz heavy boats but do poorly on our lighter boats, I base this on the fact that dou's produce a lot of stern lift as we all well know. Classic V bottoms require a lot of bow up trim, will the BIII be able to produce enough bow lift to compensate for the strern lift it generates? I would borrow one before I bought one!