PDA

View Full Version : Insurance "US Boat" OLD BOATS

mphatc
06-28-2007, 09:39 PM
I was just informed by US Boat that my 1969 Corsican policy can not be renewed after I let it lapse . which happened because I won't be using it this year.
When I contacted them to reduce my coverage to comprehensive only for extended storage I was informed that they will no longer be insuring boats of this age, and that my policy can not be reopened .

Yah, I shouldn't have let it lapse . . my fault as I tried to save some monies while not using the boat . . and now will have to get another survey done and hope that I can find some company willing to insure an old Donzi in NH . . which has not yet been a successful search!
Every insurace company walks away as soon as I say Donzi . WTF . . you'd think these were million dollar Ferraris

If you're with US Boat, and your boat is OLD, don't let your policy lapse!

Mario L.

mrfixxall
06-28-2007, 10:57 PM
Mario, If You Store The Boat In Your Garage Your Home Owners Should Cover It,,contact Them And See..

Craig S
06-28-2007, 11:09 PM
Try Carla at Hagerty. They give discounts for certain groups and will insure the boat while it is sitting or being restored for slightly less. They know vintage boats and cater to the market. Cars, also.

fegettes
06-29-2007, 04:19 AM
Mario, If You Store The Boat In Your Garage Your Home Owners Should Cover It,,contact Them And See..

Negative. Home Owners Policies are huge umbrella policies, but will not cover automobiles, motorcycles, and boats, and I will say in most states. I do not know any state that will cover these motorized vehicles.

mphatc
06-29-2007, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the tips . .

the garage won't work for me I have a two car garage and own 6 cars . and a motorcycle . . :confused::eek:

Homeowners will not cover this regardless . . determined in a huge lawsuit in Portsmoth NH when a doctors home burnt down with a rare Duesenburg (or similar car) in the basement . . huge lawsuit that dragged on many years.

Craig, I'll contact Carla today, I'm no longer comfortable leaving it sit w/o insurance . . might you have direct contact info or an extension . . ?

Mario

MOP
06-29-2007, 07:58 AM
craig gave you the best tip, being in the boat biz I know they are one of the very few left to handle older boats including wood. I have have handled inspections and one sale for them they are very nice to work with.

Phil

BigGrizzly
06-29-2007, 08:15 AM
Mario you have mail, we need to talk soon.

Craig S
06-29-2007, 09:04 AM
and I pm'd you the details of Hagerty.

mphatc
06-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks Guys!!!:beer:

Mario

wrussellw
06-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Had my Boat US canceled after 20 years on my sailboat.
I have my Donzi insured with Allstate(homeowner insurer).
I have tried insuring with Hagerty, but their online quote rejects me when I try and get a quote on my 1969 Sportser. I stated top speed at 55mph and it rejects my quote online because of "excessive speed".

You guys know somrthing else about Hagerty I don't.
Thanks

Craig S
06-29-2007, 12:47 PM
I have only dealt with individuals at Hagerty, but I've heard they discriminate according to speed.
otoh, they never ask me....maybe they just figure I'm slow?:shocking:

slamdry
06-29-2007, 01:29 PM
i had a similar problem with boat us, they only wanted to isure it for 3000 do to its age. My agent gotme insurrance though progressive, its really affordable and was easy to get, they didnt even want to look at the boat. So maybe you want to give someone at progressive a call.

fegettes
06-29-2007, 02:33 PM
i had a similar problem with boat us, they only wanted to isure it for 3000 do to its age. My agent gotme insurrance though progressive, its really affordable and was easy to get, they didnt even want to look at the boat. So maybe you want to give someone at progressive a call.

Progressive is known for selling cheaper Insurance. They are also known for not paying claims too, and that list is lengthy. Currently, I have a lawsuit against Progressive to pay a claim from last August on my motorcoach. They will eventually pay, but they sure are dragging this out.