PDA

View Full Version : Bravo I Gear oil

brwn234
06-28-2007, 06:47 AM
How do I change or check the gear oil in my out drive. I have an '00 22zx with a Bravo I. I havn't looked at the drive too closely but I havnt seen any fill or drain plugs. What is the procedure, how much fluid do I need?

gold-n-rod
06-28-2007, 07:48 AM
The prop's got to come off. Then you'll see the lower drain. The upper is, well, up on the drive. Be sure you have good gaskets behind both plugs before you refill. Use the Mercuriser hi-po lube. Plan to pay +/-$10/quart from a Merc dealer.

PS: Your resevoir (sp?) in the engine compartment will drain, too. Be sure to top it off when you are done filling the drive.

Ranman
06-28-2007, 07:51 AM
There are 2 brass plugs on the drive used for oil servicing. There is a check plug about 2/3 of the way up on the stbd side of the drive. It is gold in color and accepts a flat head screwdriver. The drain/fill plug is behind the prop. Remove the propeller and look below the prop shaft. There is another brass plug just like the one on the side. You remove this plug to drain the drive oil (remove the top one for better oil flow) and you also use this plug to fill the drive. To fill, you must pump the drive oil back in through this bottom hole until it starts to dribble out of the top hole. Mercury makes little pumps that screw to the bottom fill hole and attach to the hi-po oil quart bottles. Your drive will hold about 2 quarts of hi-po gear lube (the green/blue stuff). Also, the drain plugs have small fiber washers and magnets on them. Clean the magnets and don't lose the washers. Good luck.

P.S. You can buy all of the parts (oil, pump, plugs, washers, etc) at your local Merc dealer.

MOP
06-28-2007, 08:04 AM
Ranman your drain/fills may be discolored they are stainless, brass will burn aluminum.

Phil

Ranman
06-28-2007, 09:27 AM
Ranman your drain/fills may be discolored they are stainless, brass will burn aluminum.
Phil

Fair enough. They've always looked "gold" to me...