PDA

View Full Version : Changing pick-up coil in distributor?

Pismo
06-27-2007, 04:17 PM
Any one know how to change this? I have a bad one. I have a 1996 502 Mag with the Delco HEI distributor. Thanks very much.

superhatz
06-28-2007, 12:24 AM
Should be a couple screws......pretty easy if I remember right.

:)

mrfixxall
06-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Any one know how to change this? I have a bad one. I have a 1996 502 Mag with the Delco HEI distributor. Thanks very much.

Remove distributor, if its a delco and not a merc...look at the gear their should be a roll pin, knock out the roll pin and the gear should slide off with a couple of washers,,keep them in order...the shaft should slide out that the rotor is screwed to,,if its hard coming out you need to spray carb cleaner in side the dist tube to loosed the sludge and it will come out..their should be a little c clip holding the p/u coil in or a spiro clip...when reassembling greese the shaft...
if its a merc it just unscrews and the dist does not have tobe removed..

Pismo
06-28-2007, 01:57 PM
I have the absolute nightmare Delco model. I need to remove the intake plenum just to get the thing out, then dismantle. I cant believe how poor the design is, the pickup coil is a 1/2" below the rotor and yet i need to remove all this. I fear hours of swearing coming.

mrfixxall
06-28-2007, 02:33 PM
I have the absolute nightmare Delco model. I need to remove the intake plenum just to get the thing out, then dismantle. I cant believe how poor the design is, the pickup coil is a 1/2" below the rotor and yet i need to remove all this. I fear hours of swearing coming.

No spark? might be the module instead of the p/u coil,,the only thing ive sen go wrong with the delco dist is the bushings going out,,inspect them whyle the dist is out....If you can wiggle the shaft side to side then you need to get a new housing and shaft because it rubbs on the pick up coil..

superhatz
06-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Ahhhh.....Delco......sorry......I have a Merc.

Pismo
06-28-2007, 04:49 PM
What I really want is a one wire Mallory w/o points and a carb..........After the next rebuild.