PDA

View Full Version : MADCOW Torch Lake on 8.11

roadtrip se
06-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Apologies to Gold-N-Rod Randy, but I couldn't find a separate thread on this weekend, just a reference mixed in with a proposed St. Clair run that fizzled. Jill and I are thinking about dragging a boat Up North for this weekend. I think there is interest from Carl and Patti as well as YGrowUp, so we got three maybes.

Randy, Tony, and Bald Eagle would make three more. Anybody else want to hook up for a great day on Torch? Randy, you are going to have to hard sell us on Crystal for Sunday. I would be more inclined to launch at Charlevoix and sneak out onto Lake Michigan, should the conditions allow.

Anybody else?

Trueser
Tamburello
Randy O
Sam
Doug L

Could be fun...

gold-n-rod
06-27-2007, 01:06 PM
to the top

ITTLFLI
06-27-2007, 04:17 PM
I would be a maybe depending on how Jill and the baby are doing by then.....of course I need to run this paste Jill :wink:

Trueser
06-27-2007, 08:00 PM
Sounds good to me.

DonziBlue
06-27-2007, 08:48 PM
We're planning on being there Saturday. We look forward to it.

hot shot
06-29-2007, 09:44 AM
hot shot here that sounds like a good time, i"ll pencil it in on my calander, stay in touch my e mail is mickong007@aol.com fone 734 516 1242 let me know were we are staying so i can make reservations

tamburello
06-29-2007, 12:13 PM
I hope to be there.:yes:

- Jeff

roadtrip se
06-29-2007, 05:48 PM
hot shot here that sounds like a good time, i"ll pencil it in on my calander, stay in touch my e mail is mickong007@aol.com fone 734 516 1242 let me know were we are staying so i can make reservations

Just talked to Carl Chase. We are planning on staying in the Boyne area Saturday night after the Torch run, partying at the Red Mesa (reputed to have a great tequila selection) that night, and launching at the Boyne ramp on Sunday for a run on Charlevoix and the Big Lake.

Randy, you want to chime in with some details on Torch Saturday. Launching place, times, and the like?

BigGrizzly
06-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Where is torch lake?

BGH18
06-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Randy, torch lake is in north west Michigan. Its just north of Traverse city. Its a beautiful area.
Brad

Trueser
06-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Tod,

Do you have the phone numbers for where you plan on staying?

Mike

roadtrip se
06-30-2007, 08:08 AM
I'll round up some infomation on Monday when I get back to Detroit.

I was actually thinking about staying at the ski resort lodge, Boyne Highlands,
a few minutes out of town.

roadtrip se
06-30-2007, 08:12 AM
Where is torch lake?

You too, Brad! Just point her up 127 and you are golden!

Torch Lake is an absolute jewel and running Lake Michigan is like running offshore without the salt.

Looks like we are starting to get a pretty decent contingent of boats too.
Here is who I have heard from or has posted here:

YGrowup 22
Carl and Patti 22
Tony 22
GoldNRod 16
Bald Eagle 22
Trueser 22
Gero 22
Byron 22
Donzi Blue 22
Tamburello 18
Hot Shot 18
Us 18 or 22

DonCig
06-30-2007, 08:44 AM
You too, Brad! Just point her up 127 and you are golden!
Torch Lake is an absolute jewel and running Lake Michigan is like running offshore without the salt.
Looks like we are starting to get a pretty decent contingent of boats too.
Here is who I have heard from or has posted here:
YGrowup 22
Carl and Patti 22
Tony 22
GoldNRod 16
Bald Eagle 22
Trueser 22
Gero 22
Byron 22
Donzi Blue 22
Tamburello 18
Hot Shot 18
Us 18 or 22
When the Head Cow moos, the rest come along.........LOL

Sorry Todd, I could not resist.

Nice to see the Madcow Group alive and well.

Don

Trueser
06-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Tod,
I should be in Whitehall all week. Hit me on my cell.

BGH18
06-30-2007, 10:02 PM
Todd, hope we can make it up this year. Congrats on the BLUE boat!!
You grabbed a great one!:yes:
Brad

roadtrip se
07-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Todd, hope we can make it up this year. Congrats on the BLUE boat!!
You grabbed a great one!:yes:
Brad

Now, if I can just figure out how to rig a hitch up to the Jetta, we'll bring the Scorp and the SE to Torch. Buizilla says it will do it!

BUIZILLA
07-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Jetta only needs a chip and a hitch..... both are out there... :yes:

ygrowup
07-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Now, if I can just figure out how to rig a hitch up to the Jetta, we'll bring the Scorp and the SE to Torch. Buizilla says it will do it!

Todd, the Cig run downriver was great. Met hot shot & ittlfli and talking a couple with a red 18 (Crystal & Jim) into coming up to Torch Lk. They may be contacting you for more info. There was a dark orange / black 16 named tiger lilly there but didn't get to meet the crew....one of your posse?

gold-n-rod
07-02-2007, 02:48 PM
MADCOWS - Up North Adventure

Saturday, August 11th - Meet at Torch Lake for a day of boating. For those who don't know, Torch is a world-class inland lake with a kick-ass sandbar. More information can be found here:

http://www.fishweb.com/maps/antrim/torchlake/

The plan is to meet at the township ramp on the northern most tip of the lake at 10 am.

To get to the ramp, travel US 31 north out of Elk Rapids to Eastport. Turn right (east) on M-88 and go 1/4 mile. Look for the boat ramp sign on your right. Here's the map link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Eastport+Landing,+Eastport,+Antrim,+Michigan+496 27,+United+States&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=0.953386,2.010498&ie=UTF8&cd=4&ll=45.106924,-85.346432&spn=0.013176,0.031414&z=15&om=1

Last year, we ate cajun food at Pearl's New Orleans Cafe. It's in Elk Rapids, about 10 miles south of the landing. I suggest it again, although the guys going further north to Charlevoix will be going a bit out of their way. If someone has another suggestion for Sat. dinner, bring it on.

Traverse City offers plenty of lodging for both Friday and Saturday evenings. Lodging info here: http://www.mytraversecity.com/accommodations/

Torch is about 40 minutes from TC.

There is a contingent planning to travel further north to Charelvoix to boat the big lake on Sunday. I am also hosting anyone who is interested in boating on Crystal Lake (my home port). I have camping space at my place in Frankfort for anyone who is looking for cheap sleep.

If you need more details, just shout!

BaldEagle
07-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Im all in. Torch, Crystal, Big lake (maybe a Sleeping Bear Run). Ive got major catching up to do, and when that happens I get an attitude.
J

roadtrip se
07-02-2007, 11:05 PM
Cruised around on Portage Lake tonight with Carl and Patti Chase in their 16.
Very nice, crisp Michigan, early evening ride enjoying the sights.

They are more familiar with the area in terms of hotels and such that can accomondate us with boats at Torch and Boyne. Carl will call them in the next day or so and post here with numbers and details.

Stay tuned...

UPDATE: Just talked to Carl. Looks like Randy's recomendation of staying in Traverse City is the best bet. Hotels in Charlevoix and Boyne are booked with summer concerts, minimum stays, and the like.

Atomic Tan
07-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Ok,
After spending half the day searching for lodging between Charlevoix and Traverse I can tell you there are very few rooms and all the prime locations i.e. Traverese City are either very expensive or sold out. The best value I found with a decent location is Shanty Creek Schuss Mountain (ski resort) in Bellaire, minutes from Torch which can be booked on Expedia for $107.00 per night. Boyne Highlands is about the same but is further north.

American Lodge and Suites 2 miles outside of Charlevoix has a handfull of rooms left from $145 to $165

My recommendation for a group of this size is Shanty Creek.
Unless someone else knows of something better I say we go for it without delay.

Atomic Tan Carl

ygrowup
07-09-2007, 09:25 AM
We are definite for Sat. & 80% for Sun. Have friends with a classic 24 Pantera that might be interested....ok to invite along or do youz prefer to keep Donzi only?

Tony
07-09-2007, 11:43 AM
We are definite for Sat. & 80% for Sun. Have friends with a classic 24 Pantera that might be interested....ok to invite along or do youz prefer to keep Donzi only?

MADCOWS are cool...but we are not elitist.
Pantera's and the like are more than welcome, and the sandbar can probably hold about 5,000 boats!

Cherrie and I are all in. Torch Lake on Saturday, and then we'll be doing Crystal Lake on Sunday. So far the area has had great weather, although a bit of rain wouldn't hurt. Torch Lake is a Michigan must-see, if you're on the fence about coming...lean northward and join us!

ygrowup
07-12-2007, 08:54 AM
MADCOWS are cool...but we are not elitist.
Pantera's and the like are more than welcome, and the sandbar can probably hold about 5,000 boats!
Cherrie and I are all in. Torch Lake on Saturday, and then we'll be doing Crystal Lake on Sunday. So far the area has had great weather, although a bit of rain wouldn't hurt. Torch Lake is a Michigan must-see, if you're on the fence about coming...lean northward and join us!
Great...I'll invite them along. Look forward to meeting ya's & checking out Torch Lk, have never been there. Re 'The Red Boat Club', can never have enough red!..........

BUIZILLA
07-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Tony, who's black 22 is that?? '87 right??

ITTLFLI
07-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Looks like its shaping up to be a wonderful event!

Unortunately we will have to decide last minute. It all depends on when Jill decides to have our baby!!!

gold-n-rod
07-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Tony, who's black 22 is that?? '87 right??

That's Brad Hulce (DonziBlue). It's dk. blue/creme and yes, it's an '87.

CHACHI
07-12-2007, 11:19 AM
That's Brad Hulce (DonziBlue). It's dk. blue/creme and yes, it's an '87.
Creme=Honey brown

Ken

hot shot
07-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Hey Guys: I Made Reservations At The Brown Trout Motel In Boyne Falls. I Am Going To Make A Long Weekend Out Of This, I Have Some Friends That Will Be Up In The Area So I Am Going Up Thurs Thru Sun Night. We Are Going To Do Lake Charlevoix On Fri And I'll Catch Up With You Guys Sat At Torch Lake. If Anyone Is Having Any Trouble Finding A Room They Have 4 Doubles Left And Not Sure About Singles Las Pool And Hot Tub But Nothing To Fancy 70.00 Per Night Fone 888 609 7261 And Mention Madcow It Is About 6mi From Boyne City And About An Hour From Torch. And By The Way I Bought A Red 22 And Can't Wait To Show It Off, That 22 Is Way Me... You Know Some Would Say I'm Might Be A Little Big For The 18 Who Knows. Looking Forward To Seeing All Of You Hot Shot!

gold-n-rod
07-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Cherrie and I are all in. Torch Lake on Saturday, and then we'll be doing Crystal Lake on Sunday.

Torch is prolly Michigan's finest inland lake.......... but Crystal is argubly the 2nd finest.

I'm not trying to set up any conflicts, but here's some reasons why you may want to join Tony/Cherrie and me on Crystal on Sunday:

1. Predicable inland lake conditions (Lk. MI is unpredicable)
2. Another sand bar in which to hang.
3. Free lodging at my place. Camping is plentiful and I have several empty bedrooms in my Frankfort home at no charge for Donzi folks.....
4. Some friendly Donzi folks with which to hang. 'Nuff said.
5. It's further south (and closer to home for most folks).
6. Jeff (BaldEagle) will be filming the action. Great Fun!

Let me know if you need more info.

roadtrip se
07-12-2007, 10:40 PM
And By The Way I Bought A Red 22 And Can't Wait To Show It Off, That 22 Is Way Me... You Know Some Would Say I'm Might Be A Little Big For The 18 Who Knows. Looking Forward To Seeing All Of You Hot Shot!

Welcome to the club!

Little big for an 18? I look like a Sequoia in ours, but who cares.

roadtrip se
07-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Torch is prolly Michigan's finest inland lake.......... but Crystal is argubly the 2nd finest.
I'm not trying to set up any conflicts, but here's some reasons why you may want to join Tony/Cherrie and me on Crystal on Sunday:

No conflicts Randy, but choices are good, right? One of the finest Donzi experiences I have had in recent memory was when Carl and Patti graciously offered the wheel of their 22 for the ride back into harbor from a few miles off shore on Lake Michigan just north of Petosky. It was an awseome challenge throttling the boat over the swells and something you don't get to experience normally, unless you run in the salt. It was a rush.

If the big lake is acting up, our plans could change, but Lake Charlevoix is sheltered and big enough to strech our legs a little too.

So much water, so little time.

Carl C
07-13-2007, 08:10 AM
I wish it were monday, tuesday and wednesday.:( Less boat traffic, less road traffic, easier access to lakes, easier to find motel rooms, less police presence and mainly I wouldn't lose a weeks income! But then everyone else would lose 3 days income! Sounds like this is shaping up to be the biggest gathering in Michigan this summer and I prolly can't make it.:( Have fun. Maybe someone can put together a one day gig on Lake St. Clair this summer.:crossfing:

roadtrip se
07-13-2007, 09:17 AM
C'mon Carl, take a couple of days and come on up! Heck, one day is possible coming from Detroit.

Work will be there when you get back. Can't somebody cover for you at the booth for one weekend?

I think you are afraid to face the music in person that you face every day here. Remember, we only throw trash talk at the guys we like!

Consider yourself officially called out, quit making excuses, and get up here!

Your man card is in danger!

Carl C
07-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Todd, I will try for at least sunday. Problem is, the group gets split up that day. Yes, I will prolly make it sunday and then head for my cabin near Oscoda. I can put folks up there if anyone would like to add Lake Huron on monday to the roster.:) I'll be at Charlevoix/Lake Michigan on august 12. We could do Grand Traverse Bay, Sleeping Bear Dunes cruise or even a run to the Mackinac Bridge. Weather permitting. I prefer to stay off the small lakes on week-ends since they are too crowded and policed and "I can't drive 55".

blackhawk
07-18-2007, 06:23 PM
For those of you that are on the fence you need to go. Torch Lake is the 4th most beautiful lake in the WORLD!!!

Words, and even pictures, cannot even begin to capture the beauty of this lake. And it's about 18 miles long so there's plenty of room to get the cobwebs out! :D

This is a good pic but doesn't even come close to seeing it in real life. It looks like the caribbean in person!

roadtrip se
07-18-2007, 06:56 PM
I know this is your home lake. Thanks for the picture.

We could sit there at the sandbar and argue the merits of tabs, x-dims,
CG, and all of the other crap we talk about here, or maybe just hang out and enjoy the view.

blackhawk
07-18-2007, 07:31 PM
I know this is your home lake. Thanks for the picture.
We could sit there at the sandbar and argue the merits of tabs, x-dims,
CG, and all of the other crap we talk about here, or maybe just hang out and enjoy the view.

Yep, already ben there 3 times this year and hoping to make it again this weekend!

No arguing allowed on the sandbar. :D But, I would like to see you drive my Pantera without using the tabs! ;)

roadtrip se
07-19-2007, 09:25 AM
But, I would like to see you drive my Pantera without using the tabs! ;)

But I probably should let you know, that I ran three Reggie boats before I got into the Donzi gig, with one of them capable of 100+. All of them required tab input.

But to get a chance to drive your Pantera on Torch, I'm certainly willing to try it without tabs, at least until you say enough already!

Hope to see you there and run'em out together.

blackhawk
07-19-2007, 12:03 PM
But I probably should let you know, that I ran three Reggie boats before I got into the Donzi gig, with one of them capable of 100+. All of them required tab input.
But to get a chance to drive your Pantera on Torch, I'm certainly willing to try it without tabs, at least until you say enough already!
Hope to see you there and run'em out together.

I won't be telling you enough, because I will be watching from shore or another boat! :D

Actually, I have a wedding that day :(. Usually I skip summer weddings altogether but she is a good friend and would be dissappointed if I didn't make at least the reception.

So, if I skip the hor d'oeuvres and dinner I could come up for the day and leave around 5 and make the reception at 7. Just in time for the drinks! :yes: LOL

gold-n-rod
07-19-2007, 12:23 PM
So, if I skip the hor d'oeuvres and dinner I could come up for the day and leave around 5 and make the reception at 7. Just in time for the drinks! :yes: LOL

We're gathering at 10. There's plenty of time to boat before the lake chops up. As you know, the wind and wakes often have Torch pretty whipped up by mid-afternoon. It's feasible that you could get in a day's worth of fun boating and still make your friend's dinner and reception.

blackhawk
07-19-2007, 12:55 PM
We're gathering at 10. There's plenty of time to boat before the lake chops up.

I like to boat AFTER the lake chops up! ;)

I might try to swing it. To make dinner I would have to leave at 3:30 and if it's 85* and sunny that IS NOT going to happen! I simply don't have the discipline to make myself leave that early! But I might be able to make myself leave at 5. :D

Carl C
07-19-2007, 01:00 PM
I like to boat AFTER the lake chops up! ;)
I might try to swing it. To make dinner I would have to leave at 3:30 and if it's 85* and sunny that IS NOT going to happen! I simply don't have the discipline to make myself leave that early! But I might be able to make myself leave at 5. :D I'm sure they'll understand if you show up at the reception in your swimsuit and Donzi T-shirt.:beer:

blackhawk
07-19-2007, 01:31 PM
I'm sure they'll understand if you show up at the reception in your swimsuit and Donzi T-shirt.:beer:

Actually, the funny thing is, they would understand! :D

ygrowup
07-25-2007, 01:02 PM
We're gathering at 10. There's plenty of time to boat before the lake chops up. As you know, the wind and wakes often have Torch pretty whipped up by mid-afternoon. It's feasible that you could get in a day's worth of fun boating and still make your friend's dinner and reception.
Sorry for the tangent, was just wondering if the dark red / white 22 I saw coming into Lk. Charlevoix late this past Saturday is part of the August / Torch Lk. contingent? Good looking boat. Think he was the wiser of us two as the water was not getting any less lumpy. Some ohmigod holes on the way to TC. Lk. Michigan seems even larger in a 22!

Trueser
07-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Ok I tried but I can't make it this year.

I was really looking forward to this trip.

Sorry
Mike

blackhawk
07-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Sorry for the tangent, was just wondering if the dark red / white 22 I saw coming into Lk. Charlevoix late this past Saturday is part of the August / Torch Lk. contingent? Good looking boat. Think he was the wiser of us two as the water was not getting any less lumpy. Some ohmigod holes on the way to TC. Lk. Michigan seems even larger in a 22!

I was on Lake Charlevoix on Saturday and saw that boat when we were leaving. What boat were you in ygrowup?

We ran from TC to Charlevoix around 2:30 and the water was pretty flat. Headed back to TC about 5:30 and it wasn't so flat anymore!!!

ygrowup
07-26-2007, 10:02 AM
I was on Lake Charlevoix on Saturday and saw that boat when we were leaving. What boat were you in ygrowup?
We ran from TC to Charlevoix around 2:30 and the water was pretty flat. Headed back to TC about 5:30 and it wasn't so flat anymore!!!

We couldn't have been more than a few minutes apart coming back! We run an all-white / red 22 classic. 'wasn't so flat' is an understatement...even my cronies in 28 Panteras & 29 Mirages etc took a good beating on that run back to TC. 'Course, they're not known for their moderate cruising speeds! My buddy with the 28 also has a 24 pantera, but has a schedule conflict with the Torch Lk. shindig. Can you post some shots of your 24?

blackhawk
07-26-2007, 10:15 AM
We couldn't have been more than a few minutes apart coming back! We run an all-white / red 22 classic. 'wasn't so flat' is an understatement...even my cronies in 28 Panteras & 29 Mirages etc took a good beating on that run back to TC. 'Course, they're not known for their moderate cruising speeds! My buddy with the 28 also has a 24 pantera, but has a schedule conflict with the Torch Lk. shindig. Can you post some shots of your 24?

I may have seen you as well. I saw 3 or 4 classics. We were sitting on the sandbar right by the opening from Round Lake to Lake Charlevoix before we left. I was with a red Four Winns Liberator and a white Four Winns U-19. I'm guessing we left about 5:30 or so. Was the 28 Pantera a 3 man bolster set-up? I saw an all white 3-man go by that sounded REALLY healthy but couldn't tell what it was.

There were definitely some big holes out there, espesially as we got closer to TC. The girl I had with me had never been in water like that so we just cruised at 40mph for the most part, but I was still launching out of the holes at that speed! :D

Toward the end she was feeling better so I turned it up the last 5 miles and ran about 55 with LOTS of air time. :yes:

Here's a pic of my Pantera.

ygrowup
07-26-2007, 02:45 PM
I may have seen you as well. I saw 3 or 4 classics. We were sitting on the sandbar right by the opening from Round Lake to Lake Charlevoix before we left. I was with a red Four Winns Liberator and a white Four Winns U-19. I'm guessing we left about 5:30 or so. Was the 28 Pantera a 3 man bolster set-up? I saw an all white 3-man go by that sounded REALLY healthy but couldn't tell what it was.
There were definitely some big holes out there, espesially as we got closer to TC. The girl I had with me had never been in water like that so we just cruised at 40mph for the most part, but I was still launching out of the holes at that speed! :D
Toward the end she was feeling better so I turned it up the last 5 miles and ran about 55 with LOTS of air time. :yes:
Here's a pic of my Pantera.
Talk about timing, just after I posted that last message, Bill stumbled into my office. He said he saw your 24 on the way out. I must not have been looking that way. His 28 is a racedeck with the bolster & fresh Merc 500's....attaching a few pix.

blackhawk
07-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Talk about timing, just after I posted that last message, Bill stumbled into my office. He said he saw your 24 on the way out. I must not have been looking that way. His 28 is a racedeck with the bolster & fresh Merc 500's....attaching a few pix.
Yep that was the one! I think you rolled out first, then the Pantera and the another Classic deep V white boat with numbers on it. The coast guard just got done boarding a boat. I remember it cause I was trying to figure out if it was indeed a Pantera and wondering if the CG was going to hassle them. We left about 30 minutes after that. Small world!
That 28 had to be a fun ride back! :yes:

ygrowup
07-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Yep that was the one! I think you rolled out first, then the Pantera and the another Classic deep V white boat with numbers on it. The coast guard just got done boarding a boat. I remember it cause I was trying to figure out if it was indeed a Pantera and wondering if the CG was going to hassle them. We left about 30 minutes after that. Small world!
That 28 had to be a fun ride back! :yes:

Your 24 is sharp btw; thanks for posting. The other raceboat is a full-stagger big block Mirage...also an absolute wavecrusher. They all took off for TC before me; assumed that I was going to sit tight and get the trailer from TC later with a buddy with a wounded Baja. Supergenius that I am, figured the wind was coming out of the west and we'd be protected for most of the trip back by the Northport side of the penninsula. You saw firsthand how well that worked out! Upshot is my co-pilot & I won 1st & 2nd out of almost 30 hands in our little poker run....the little boat delivered the big bucks Sat. night!

Brad Lyon
07-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Hello All,

So have final plans been made? I read all of the posts and I am confused (as usual) as to who is boating where and on which days. I may have the opportunity to take a ride up and join in if that would be ok?

Brad

gold-n-rod
07-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Hello All,
So have final plans been made? I read all of the posts and I am confused (as usual) as to who is boating where and on which days. I may have the opportunity to take a ride up and join in if that would be ok?
Brad

See post #20 of this thread.

Brad Lyon
07-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Oh yes, and who is the one pulling a yellow 22 classic down Dixie highway between Bridgeport and Birch Run a few Sunday's ago on the side of the road receiving a post it note from the Michigan State police? Nice looking boat, how fast were you going???

blackhawk
07-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Your 24 is sharp btw; thanks for posting. The other raceboat is a full-stagger big block Mirage...also an absolute wavecrusher. They all took off for TC before me; assumed that I was going to sit tight and get the trailer from TC later with a buddy with a wounded Baja. Supergenius that I am, figured the wind was coming out of the west and we'd be protected for most of the trip back by the Northport side of the penninsula. You saw firsthand how well that worked out! Upshot is my co-pilot & I won 1st & 2nd out of almost 30 hands in our little poker run....the little boat delivered the big bucks Sat. night!

I don't know where you were but that wind was NOT coming out of the west! ;)

Are you going to be at Torch?

Tony
07-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Brad, we'd love to have you join us for the T&CBAMC (Torch & Crystal But Maybe Charlevoix) weekend, it would be neat to see you again!

Most of what I know is gleaned from Randy since my web access is spotty in the summer, but I am in the Torch Saturday, Crystal Sunday crowd. It is kind of a novel concept, all at one spot the an option on the next day...like starting a novel and "choosing" your ending, a quasi book genre that never really caught on.

Hope to see you up there!

ygrowup
07-31-2007, 02:05 PM
I don't know where you were but that wind was NOT coming out of the west! ;)
Are you going to be at Torch?

Amen to that!

We're definite for Torch & meeting with my partner & his wife tomorrow to figure out what we're doing that Sunday...

ITTLFLI
07-31-2007, 04:09 PM
I was hoping for an early delivery, but today is the due date and still no baby!! Given the timing I don'y think we will be making it up to Torch. Hopefully next year!!

Be safe and have fun!!

Atomic Tan
08-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Ygrowup and Blackhawk,

That was Patti and I you saw on Charlevoix. Did you happen to notice my 78 year old mother in the backseat wearing the lifeline? Could have been an awesome Donzi photo op. We'd planned on dropping her at the shoppers dock but she wanted to go for it. I honestly can't believe she survived the day without a spinal cord injury (or being ejected).
Blackhawk, I thought I recognized you from that day we ran on Torch last year. We also passed your buddy with the U19 in Round Lake. Did you happen to see the blue/white Holman Moody on the south arm? Sweet boat. He purchased it recently and had never heard of donzi.net. We told him about the Donzi event and he said he'd try and make it.

(Atomic Tan) Carl

roadtrip se
08-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Byron's version of the "Miracle Prop" (Merc-labbed 28 bravo 1) just showed up on the door step. It is a real nice looking piece. I'll now have two of these things to try out next week on the Big Lake. It's amazing how different they look. Great illustration of what "labbing" can really mean for Carl C.

And of course, "Ole Diablo" (Mirage 29) will be ready for the speed runs on Torch.

Doesn't get no better.

Atomic Carl, I'll give you a call for directions Up North to your place. Been a while since we made that journey.

blackhawk
08-05-2007, 02:14 AM
Ygrowup and Blackhawk,
That was Patti and I you saw on Charlevoix. Did you happen to notice my 78 year old mother in the backseat wearing the lifeline? Could have been an awesome Donzi photo op. We'd planned on dropping her at the shoppers dock but she wanted to go for it. I honestly can't believe she survived the day without a spinal cord injury (or being ejected).
Blackhawk, I thought I recognized you from that day we ran on Torch last year. We also passed your buddy with the U19 in Round Lake. Did you happen to see the blue/white Holman Moody on the south arm? Sweet boat. He purchased it recently and had never heard of donzi.net. We told him about the Donzi event and he said he'd try and make it.
(Atomic Tan) Carl

Carl, I did notice an "older" lady in the backseat but I had no idea she was 78 years ol.! That is awesome! If I would have realized it was you I would have said hi! My buddy in the U19 was right behind me.

Hopefully I will se you guys at Torch!

Avialanche
08-05-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm gonna try and make it to this gathering, will do Torch lake on Saturday.

Carl C
08-09-2007, 08:30 PM
Where is the ramp we'll be using on Charlevoix? What time will we meet. Can someone post a local map? I'm racing the clock but still hope to make it.

Carl C
08-14-2007, 08:14 AM
So how did this go? I assume Saturday was nice but how did Sunday turn out? Did you guys get to run on Lake Michigan. I couldn't make it; too many things working against me and the questionable weather forecast for Sunday was the deal breaker. I hope all went well and would like to hear about it and see pics.:boat:

gold-n-rod
08-14-2007, 08:36 AM
So how did this go? I assume Saturday was nice but how did Sunday turn out? Did you guys get to run on Lake Michigan. I couldn't make it; too many things working against me and the questionable weather forecast for Sunday was the deal breaker. I hope all went well and would like to hear about it and see pics.:boat:

Yes, Saturday was excellent. Ten boats were on Torch in range from a big 275 LXC on down to my dinky 16. Aside from Chris E's 18 all the rest were 22's. We were quite a sight as 8 of us roared up the lake in somewhat of a formation.

Sunday on Crystal was another beautiful day. We had 4 Donzis and a Checkmate. Later in the day, we were joined by two V8-powered pontoon boats, one with silent choice and slash tips out the back. We found some calm water and mostly hung out for the afternoon, save for an occasional fly by. Tony's got some pics that I'm sure he'll post up when he get back to Portland.

Thanks to all who made the trip. I had a great time!!!!!!!! :yes:

roadtrip se
08-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Ran the beast up and down Torch a total of four times. Carl and Mick joined us. At one point, the depth guage pinged 250+, on an inland lake! Nice predictable chop, beautiful mentholyptus-blue water, and even had a local come faceoff for a little race. The sandbar was awesome and the boat line-up drew a lot of attention, kind of like a local muscle car show on water.

After a little rain on Sunday morning, Carl and I launched them on Charlevoix.
We headed for the big lake early, as the forecast showed building seas through the afternoon. Not too bad to start, so we got some guts and pointed them to Beaver Island, about 25 miles offshore. We got 15 miles out and the water kept getting bigger to the point where we decided to turn it around. Spent the rest of the day running and coving on Charlevoix.

Awesome weekend, great to see everybody, and you couldn't ask for more challenging water to run your boat in!

DonziBlue
08-14-2007, 06:02 PM
We had a great time! It was good to see everyone again and meeting new Donzi lovers. It was great watching the reactions of others when they so multiple Donzi's running past them. The boaters were pointing every which way :)

Since the storm came through Sunday morning we decided to run the bay in Traverse City. We drove north to find my Aunt and Uncle's home. I had always seen the home from the road side. I tried to imagine what it looked like from the bay as we drove by over hundred homes for 15 miles. I was excited that I found it. AND, I was excited that when we drove up they were sitting on the beach. As we were wondering if we found the right home, they were wondering who those boaters were who were coming near shore :)

That guy with the Blue Donzi C22 failed to read the memo that said only red and white Donzi's were invited :)

Tony
08-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Did somebody say pics?

These are from Torch Lake...

Tony
08-14-2007, 10:19 PM
And these are from Crystal Lake...

ITTLFLI
08-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Looks like an awesome time!!

Donziblue...sorry I couldn't make it to support the Blue Donzi movement!!:wink:

Carl C
08-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Nice pics but they need a splash of yellow. Dammit I wish I could make these week-end gigs. But now I'm heading to Lake St. Clair while y'all are working.:rlol:

blackhawk
08-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Looks like a great time! I was going to try and make it on Saturday but it didn't happen. My buddy was there and saw you guys(and girls) and said it was quite the sight!

ygrowup
08-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Looks like a great time! I was going to try and make it on Saturday but it didn't happen. My buddy was there and saw you guys(and girls) and said it was quite the sight!

We had a great time @ Torch....good to meet the rest of you and check out your rides--beautiful machines all (even in non-red!) Special thanks to Randy for the am launching assistance -- hosting can be soggy work --and the local knowledge.

Byron-- didya have a he or she future co-pilot? Gotta get your rig back in circulation....DonziBlue was a little outnumbered & Roadtrips need someone to keep them honest in the 80+ club!

Will post some pix later--

Double D's Dave

gold-n-rod
08-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Double D's Dave

We also want you to tell the story of the plexi-busting waves!!

ygrowup
08-16-2007, 02:44 PM
We also want you to tell the story of the plexi-busting waves!!

Crack a beer & kick back....now that I thinkabout it, Carl & Mick & Todd owe us a $grand + a new windshield. Let me esplain: while spooling-up to take a second parade lap with the aforementioned, Dave2 pulls on my "$1000 hat" as I call it (only remnant left from last Smoke on the Water poker run besides busted Bravo's & braincells!) and at about 40 it blows off his noggin and into beautiful Torch Lk. This would be somewhat less annoying if it hadn't already almost blown off twice as we headed to the sandbar earlier and he had to take it off. Anyhow, by the time we spun around to retrieve it, the lake had claimed it. OK, back on plane to catch up with the other three....only problem is those mega-horsepower motors and voodoo drives kick-up a pretty nasty cross-chop. Dave2's a plenty fine pilot but we end up corkscrewing the 22 (at a whopping 25?) into a side-landing that would probably knock your fillings out....and in this case, definitely crack your windshield & partially unmount the seat I was in (and in hindsight, tragically shake-up the beer) Off plane we go...check to make sure the motor is still attached to something aft and decide to hang out mid-lake & enjoy a foamy beer until the three red menaces head back our way. Long wait later, we decide to trot down the lake and instead of finding them, we come across an unknown (to us) all-red 22 AE and decide to make the sandbar run back with him. Great run, which took some of the sting out of the path of destruction we laid earlier. Post-op report...fixed the seat mount just this morning at a net cost of a quarter to replace the sheared-off bolts. Got the feeling that the windshield's gonna be a little north of that!........

Only the Offshore gods can explain why so much can go wrong at 25 mph when she's been through literal hell at speed on Lk. Michigan, St. Clair & the Detroit River and not a scratch?

Don't even get me started on Higgins Lk. , sandbars & waterpumps two days earlier!

Dave1

gold-n-rod
08-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Great story, D1, thanks for telling it!

Glad you guys could join the fun. You have a beautiful Donzi! :)

roadtrip se
08-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Crack a beer & kick back....now that I thinkabout it, Carl & Mick & Todd owe us a $grand + a new windshield. Let me esplain: while spooling-up to take a second parade lap with the aforementioned, Dave2 pulls on my "$1000 hat" as I call it (only remnant left from last Smoke on the Water poker run besides busted Bravo's & braincells!) and at about 40 it blows off his noggin and into beautiful Torch Lk. This would be somewhat less annoying if it hadn't already almost blown off twice as we headed to the sandbar earlier and he had to take it off. Anyhow, by the time we spun around to retrieve it, the lake had claimed it. OK, back on plane to catch up with the other three....only problem is those mega-horsepower motors and voodoo drives kick-up a pretty nasty cross-chop. Dave2's a plenty fine pilot but we end up corkscrewing the 22 (at a whopping 25?) into a side-landing that would probably knock your fillings out....and in this case, definitely crack your windshield & partially unmount the seat I was in (and in hindsight, tragically shake-up the beer) Off plane we go...check to make sure the motor is still attached to something aft and decide to hang out mid-lake & enjoy a foamy beer until the three red menaces head back our way. Long wait later, we decide to trot down the lake and instead of finding them, we come across an unknown (to us) all-red 22 AE and decide to make the sandbar run back with him. Great run, which took some of the sting out of the path of destruction we laid earlier. Post-op report...fixed the seat mount just this morning at a net cost of a quarter to replace the sheared-off bolts. Got the feeling that the windshield's gonna be a little north of that!........
Only the Offshore gods can explain why so much can go wrong at 25 mph when she's been through literal hell at speed on Lk. Michigan, St. Clair & the Detroit River and not a scratch?
Don't even get me started on Higgins Lk. , sandbars & waterpumps two days earlier!
Dave1

Drop me a line and I'll give you the low down on what we used to re-build the shield in the SE. That was a stange deal, a very strange deal. We saw the turn-around, waited up, realized you weren't coming, not knowing that you two were trying to commit marine suicide!

Jill really enjoyed you two characters! Our door is open at Lake Cumberland whenever you guys are ready to come down and terrorize the natives!

Avialanche
08-16-2007, 08:59 PM
This was my first Donzi group gathering, it was great to meet fellow Donziers, thanks to everyone for holding back on their throttle's, as i had the biggest and slowest boat of the group, i regretted not staying longer to get know ya all better, i'm looking forward to next year's meet.

Mike

ITTLFLI
08-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Byron-- didya have a he or she future co-pilot? Gotta get your rig back in circulation....DonziBlue was a little outnumbered & Roadtrips need someone to keep them honest in the 80+ club!
Double D's Dave

Yes! We had Parker on 8/5!!! He was 8.72 lbs...Now 9.?? already! I think I will take the rig down to the river this weekend and blow the soot out of her! I figured I would get Roadtrip to try the "slow" prop then I would show up and try and get past the infamous "rooster"!!:wink: ....but we weren't able to make it! I was looking forward to seeing DonziBlue's ride....again...that was formerly my boat:) It still shines BEAUTIFUL!

HEY....On a side note I need to get in on the replacement "plexi" My starboard side is busted from some aerobatic manuvers also! Let me know if you find a good source!

B

Trueser
08-16-2007, 11:07 PM
Try Total Plastics.

Don't use Plexi I did and it didnt last. Make sure you buy Lexan...

DonziChris
08-17-2007, 05:17 PM
Just got back from up north. Had a GREAT time, Thanks for the help at the ramp randy. Hope to make next years event. Dave1 and Dave2 hope to see you on st clair. Take care Chris

ygrowup
08-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Drop me a line and I'll give you the low down on what we used to re-build the shield in the SE. That was a stange deal, a very strange deal. We saw the turn-around, waited up, realized you weren't coming, not knowing that you two were trying to commit marine suicide!
Jill really enjoyed you two characters! Our door is open at Lake Cumberland whenever you guys are ready to come down and terrorize the natives!
Just trying to keep things interesting! Attaching a few shots from yesterday's demolition derby in Alabama....you'd think they graduated from the Double D's driving course.....
Will be in your ears when the time comes to re-windshield the little beast.

ygrowup
08-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Some pix from the Torch Lk. gig.......

ygrowup
08-23-2007, 07:26 AM

gdimas
09-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Where is torch lake?

Recently purchased a 1987 18' 2+3 Donzi. 260 HP Boat came with an after market prop Elite 21. Boat calls for a 23 pitch. Would like to get a Polished Mirage Plus with a 23 pitch. Can you help ?

gdimas

BUIZILLA
09-21-2007, 12:21 PM
I can only voice my experience with my 1987 18' with a 270...

use a stock 22 Turbo or a stock 23 Mirage, don't use a 23 Mirage +

BigGrizzly
09-21-2007, 04:11 PM
I don't sell The Merc series I do the Turbo aqnd the Solas prop thing. I am with Buzz only not the Marage either just the turbo line they seem to handle better. Take into account I have not tried a Straigh Marage, mine had the Marage plus numbers on it. I got rid of it about a month ago to a guy who had it stolen. I would be glad to help with the Turbo.