PDA

View Full Version : sad day for all who appreciate a classic donzi

Yellowdonzi67
06-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Today I, as well as the rest of my family suffered a loss i hoped i would never have to suffer.

Our donzi, a 1967 16 foot classic, caught fire in the magothy river and burnt as I watched helplessly from 75 yards away.

What happened...
After spending much of the day on the water, my boat sputtered and died about half a mile from the ramp...Out of gas. Thankfully a friend of mine was able to give us a tow into a dock about 100 yards from the ramp. while I left my boat to grab an extra fuel tank from my house.

While I was gone, a friend of mine was able to get gas from a nearby resident and put it in the tank. I had not instructed him on proper use of the boat (ie turning the blower on before attempting to start the boat) and when he tried to turn it over, the engine compartment blew and caught my classic yellow on fire. As I returned about 5 minutes after the explosion, I was just in time to watch my boat catch fire and burn almost to the water line.

Thankfully not one person was seriously hurt.

Right now I have the painful responsibility of finding a tow company to get it into shore, as it drifted about 75 yards out before it was doused by a fire boat.

This is a sad day for me. I've lost my donzi and my current situation doesn't allow for a new one anytime soon.
http://www.donzi.net/UBB/icons/icon9.gif

ChromeGorilla
06-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Holy crap. :( Sorry to hear about your boat. Glad to hear neither you or your friend were hurt.....

Serves as a good reminder for all of us to ventilate our engine compartments before starting up...especially after fueling... I know sometimes I haven't...

Yellowdonzi67
06-26-2007, 10:04 PM
these were taken with a cell phone, sorry for the bad resolution.

ChromeGorilla
06-26-2007, 10:07 PM
My god... I couldn't even imagine how I would feel.... :frown:

thriller
06-26-2007, 10:12 PM
I feel for ya. Just glad no one was hurt. Don't beat yourself up over this. There is and will be a replacement..Their out there:wink:

superhatz
06-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Glad everyone's ok........

I watched a baby blue 18 burn to the water line when I was a kid.......:(

Lenny
06-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Sorry for your loss. The folks here will help you out in finding another tho.

Be SURE of that.

Glad no one was hurt.

:(

yeller
06-27-2007, 03:17 AM
That hurts. So sorry to hear that happened. That second pic makes me sick, I can't imagine how you feel. :frown::frown:

drew0982
06-27-2007, 03:50 AM
ouch... that hurts! i'm sure you'll find yourself another donzi really soon. best of luck.

FOSTER
06-27-2007, 05:56 AM
Breaks my heart to hear of your loss, Glad no one was hurt. Situations change every day so don't give up on getting a new one.

jl1962
06-27-2007, 06:04 AM
Wow - like losing an old friend. But just to echo the words of others - boats can be replaced, people cannot.

Hang in there.

JL

Yellowdonzi67
06-27-2007, 06:43 AM
I am absolutely sick to my stomach right now.

One for realizing how lucky we are that no one got hurt in the explosion, and two that I lost something that had more then just monetary value to me. That boat was something I'm going to miss dearly.

I can't even bear the thought of the rest of the season without my boat.

Morgan's Cloud
06-27-2007, 06:52 AM
I really feel for you ..... I do hope that you were insured .. it won't bring your boat back but does help take some of the sting out.

Even though I would not let someone else fill and try to start my boat without me being there , this alone should not have caused a fire under normal circumstances.

Do you have any idea what went wrong ?

Yellowdonzi67
06-27-2007, 06:59 AM
Unfortunately this year the only insurance we had on it was liability...

The boat was not properly ventilated when my friend attempted to start it. The water-police told them they were lucky they didn't blow themselves 20 feet in the air.

donzi and marie
06-27-2007, 07:00 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss james. If your interested, I have a 1989 25ft. donzi regazza, without a motor. It's going to be a fixerupper, and i'm not looking for alot of money. Make offer. I have a trailer for it, was from a 22ft. boat, but should be enough to get her home. If your interested let me know. Again sorry about your loss.
ED

penbroke
06-27-2007, 07:14 AM
Wow... Sorry for your loss. Glad no one was hurt.

Frank

Donziweasel
06-27-2007, 07:42 AM
I feel your pain, almost lost mine in a fire last year. Damage minimal on my boat though. Glad no one was hurt. Watched a boat about 10 years ago blow the back end off because of not runnning the blower. Driver got some burns. Glad everyone was ok.

John

Tank
06-27-2007, 07:50 AM
Sorry to here this!!
I lost a custom truck I had built myself to fire!
Nothing cool about IT, fire s****!
I feel you pain!
And yes it can be replaced in time.
Thank God no one was hurt!
Tank

LKSD
06-27-2007, 08:13 AM
Im sorry to hear of your loss.. That sux.. At least no one got hurt physically.. :eek!:

I saw an idiot at another local marina cause over a dozen boat burn up about 2 years ago. He was at our local lake poring gas from a jug into the carb.. This guy had no business working on anything as he had no clue.. Anyway it popped back thru the carb setting him on fire along with the dock and over a dozen boats 1 by one!

I hope it all ends up well for you.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Forrest
06-27-2007, 08:43 AM
I'm really sorry to hear of, and see, the loss of your Donzi. You just can't be too careful when it comes to dealing with gasoline. Hopefully, we all can learn by this mishap. I thought that I was very careful with fuel, but these images will remind me that maybe I'm not careful enough. Yes, all it takes is just one time - and as we can see, it can happen to a Donzi as well. Most of all, I'm glad to see that no one was hurt.

Craig S
06-27-2007, 08:49 AM
I am so sorry for you guys. That's a fear we all have.
Craig

chappy
06-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Very sorry about this. It's kind of like a real life nightmare.

Rich

BigGrizzly
06-27-2007, 10:57 AM
I am so sorry too!!

maddad
06-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Real sorry about your loss. No rainbows without rain though. Maybe the next one will be more special.

Kirbyvv
06-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Wow...makes me want to cry. I can understand how you feel. Glad no one was hurt. I always use the blower, but think I'll let it run a bit longer from now on.

Yellowdonzi67
06-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Absolute worse nightmare come to life.

The feeling of watching it burn without being able to attempt to douse the flames was one of the most helpless I've ever had in my life...but the possibility of further explosion and harm to myself made me stay back.

I just still can't believe how fast I've lost a boat that I've put so much into....

hardcrab
06-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Man, what a horrible accident.
I live off the Magothy also, by the pictures it looks like its by Cypress creek(?)
Let me know if you need crain service, I may be able to hook you up.

Yellowdonzi67
06-27-2007, 01:38 PM
its right in front of deep creel, near the 6 mile zone markers.

Its still there right now....A family friend is going to help us tow it in a few hours...

where off the magothy do you live?

MOP
06-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Bummer I know the feeling, I was on my Formula when it caught fire! Talk about PUCKER I had major pucker! Now you need a few insurance $$ to get a new toy!

Phil

hardcrab
06-27-2007, 04:08 PM
its right in front of deep creel, near the 6 mile zone markers.
Its still there right now....A family friend is going to help us tow it in a few hours...
where off the magothy do you live?
Just past the girl scout camp

f_inscreenname
06-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Man that is beat!! I can feel your pain. It would also be like losing one of the family for me.
I am sure you are not thinking about it yet but there a nice project boat (great shape but needs a motor) up here in Glen Burnie. Its not a Donzi, its a Monza and its yellow.:)
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/2001/57575777fw9.jpg

We have some more pictures of it here if interested. http://www.supernova19.com/forumcw/index.php?topic=103.0

ronnie
06-27-2007, 09:10 PM
bummer! sorry to here about your loss. take care.

p729lws
06-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Somebody educate me on how a boat catches fire while being started (no sarcasm here). Not knowing much about boating, I always pop the hatch and have a good look around before I fire her off and once I'm satisfied that she's running good and she's not taking on water I close the hatch and boat. I don't think I've ever run the blower before this morning (after I read this thread) and I should probably go make sure I turned it off once I got home, lol.

James, I hate to see a yellow Donzi die, they're my favorite. You have my condolences. :frown::frown::frown:
Dan

ChromeGorilla
06-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Chances are more likely than not that there are no small leaks or lingering gasoline vapors in the engine compartment.

But if vapors are present and not vetilated, a small spark could set them off... as you can see....:(

BUIZILLA
06-28-2007, 08:26 AM
an unsealed automotive starter is usually the culprit...

hardcrab
06-28-2007, 12:24 PM
While you're at it , spend the extra $ on a marine alternator and sparkproof blower motor.

Barry Eller
06-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Somebody educate me on how a boat catches fire while being started (no sarcasm here). Not knowing much about boating, I always pop the hatch and have a good look around before I fire her off and once I'm satisfied that she's running good and she's not taking on water I close the hatch and boat. I don't think I've ever run the blower before this morning (after I read this thread) and I should probably go make sure I turned it off once I got home, lol.
James, I hate to see a yellow Donzi die, they're my favorite. You have my condolences. :frown::frown::frown:
Dan

Fuel vapors settle in the bottom of the bilge,they are heaver than air. The blower is designed to remove the vapors and vent them to the outside. Use of a NON-MARINE alternator, starter, bad spark plug wires, or anything that can cause a spark will cause the vapors to ignite. Back when "Yippy" ran...I ran my blower all the time I would idle. Only turned it off when up on a plane, then back on when back down to idle.

Remember, fuel vapor is more volatile than liquid.

Sad for you dude. Get another boat... (get back on the horse)...

Sweet little 16
06-28-2007, 03:09 PM
sorry for your loss, boats can be replaced family and friends can't, there are alot of 16 coming up on ebay lately you'll find another

from the damage it looks like the fuel line burned and acted as a wick for the tank as most of the damage is forward of the bilge that almost happened to us one day the canister from the fuel filter had a pin hole in it dripping fuel into the bilge thank god my husband always opens the hatch and sniffs around before turning anything on

Yellowdonzi67
06-28-2007, 03:41 PM
I miss my boat :(

Unfortunately we had no hazard insurance on it....so the most we can get is about 2000 out of homeowners insurance.

To make things worse, trying to get it in the boat sank, so the salvage operation will cost anywhere from 1 to 3000......

There's only 4 times I've ever seen my dad cry.

1) when his mother died
2) when talking about his father
3) when we put our dog to sleep (about 3 weeks ago)
4) he watched our donzi burning on the water and later when he watched it sink into the water.

I think I am going to take a year or two off from boating, and focus on my priorities in life. My next boat will certainly be a donzi and I will NEVER leave the keys in the boat without me there again.

I will still be around these boards...just for the pure love of the boats. Dealing with getting it out of the water is a very hard thing to deal with....I put so much into that boat and one mistake sent her to her end. In this case an ounce of prevention is worth a few tons of cure.

Thanks for all of your support....I don't think there are as many people in one place who appreciate the loss of this boat as much as you all do...

In the meantime I have a few extra parts to sell including an outdrive motor (electric), so if you need anything look for my posts in the appropriate forum. I'll get some more pictures up soon if nothing else to serve as a reminder to USE YOUR BLOWER and NEVER LEAVE THE KEYS WITH INEXPERIENCED BOATERS.

Barry Eller
06-28-2007, 03:52 PM
I just recalled a boat burning in the bayou by my house around 4 years ago. This is an example of how easy it can happen.

The boats carb had just been worked on by a mechanic. The boat was in a boathouse. The bilge pump was not working and the boat had several inches of water standing with some spilled gasoline floating on the top. A new bilge pump was submerged in the water and the mechanic decided to just touch the wires of the pump to the battery. It sparked and ignited the gas floating on the water. Not a big explosion, just a big flash. The mechanic had severe
burns and the boat burned to the water line.

You cannot be TOO CAREFULL!!!

Tony
06-29-2007, 03:02 PM
If your interested, I have a 1989 25ft. donzi regazza, without a motor.
ED

This is kind of like...how shall I put it..."not quite the same"?

Pismo
06-29-2007, 03:20 PM
Very sad story all around.........

Sagbay32
06-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Very sad indeed. I am sorry for your loss. You'll know when it is the right time to try again.

Mike

f_inscreenname
06-30-2007, 10:39 AM
Don't give up for "a couple years".
Get yourself a project boat if not a "turn key". Busy hands will clear a clouded mind. Thats what I did when I lost my last boat. :yes:

KerrLake
06-30-2007, 05:03 PM
I feel for you. Dad will get over it. At least no one was hurt>>>>>

Carl C
06-30-2007, 06:21 PM
That sucks. Sorry.:(