PDA

View Full Version : Tuned some on the carb today, not good!

Donziweasel
06-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Still can't get the low end hesitation and popping out. First, went 2 sizes bigger on the accelerator pump nozzles for a bigger "shot". No improvement. Then went back to stock nozzles and leaned out two sizes on the primary and secondary jets. Once again, did not solve the problem. I will say the boat felt "happier" leaned out a little. Even gained a mph on the GPS. Where to go from here?:confused::confused::confused:

MOP
06-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Don't have any answers but curious about idle vacuum readings at that altitude and what is your base timing?

Phil

BUIZILLA
06-26-2007, 08:04 PM
how did you adjust the lifters??

mrfixxall
06-26-2007, 08:51 PM
DW,as we talked about...you mentioned you only had 9'' of vacume so you should have installed a 4.5 power valve first because the one in the carb now should be a 6.5....try a 4.5 and let us know..

wagspe208
06-26-2007, 10:10 PM
I was thinking about your problem.
How much total time does the engine have on it? Is it a new piece?
Have you checked ignition timing?
Wags

98shovel
06-26-2007, 11:55 PM
9" vacume isnt enough with a vortec and mild cam should be 14/16 at idle as others have stated check valve lash/ign timing something is making it have low vac and that is probly where the problem is not with the carb a 600 on a sb should almost run out of the box with out much work you stated that it ran fine for a while then went sideways go back to the basics and start checking all the other stuff to make sure something hasent gone outof spec.
DONT BLAME THE HOLLEY YET

Donziweasel
06-27-2007, 07:34 AM
Can't remember timing right now. Will slap a light on it today if I have time. Did not adjust lifters Jim. Provided timing is correct, where to next? More radical pump nozzle changes? I am really discouraged. I seem to be dumping money into a boat that has not run right for 9 months. I am now in for 2 carbs, heads, machine work on heads, intake, 2 props, drive gears, camshaft, and all the gaskets and little crap to set up. Should have left it stock, but I do not think I can own a 47 mph Donzi Classic. I really thought I could tune the problem out of it yesterday. It is definetly in the carb, but I am not blaming Holley. The edel had it's own issues. Thanks for the help everyone.

Just out of curiosity, how hot should my intake manifold get? I remember some members telling me the fuel might be boiling. When I was changing jets, a little gas spilled on the intake and immediatly started boiling. I know, dangerous as hell, but it was only a little and since last years fire I always keep and extinguisher handy and some water when messing with my carb on a hot boat.

Thinking about selling and just buying a damn family deck boat. Not sure how much more I can take!:confused::confused::mad::mad:

BUIZILLA
06-27-2007, 07:39 AM
Did not adjust lifters Jim. stop right there, do not pass go..... we need to discuss this...

Rootsy
06-27-2007, 10:27 AM
Bring it on over Jon, I'm bored, I need something to work on :) And if that doesn't work I have something sitting on the floor that surely will :D

Donziweasel
06-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Jamie, might take you up on that, although I thought you had your hands full on the mistress deck. Going to take some vacuum readings and figure out the timing for Jim today. Hopefully will get a little better handle on the problem before I buy a family deck boat:wink:. I wonder if i can get one with a 496 mag that will do 80?:bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk:

BigGrizzly
06-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Lifter then carb tunning. The power valve is part of the problem, especially at your altitude. We had some fuel boiling surge in Hondas in Jackson Hole in the Late 80s the cars would buck and surge on hot restart. I do agree that 47 is not acceptable for your boat even there. I don't remember the max RPMs your turning. One thing is If we all communicate.we will get this problem resolved. The people on this board have the fastest Donzis in the country. If collectively we can't fix it, its not broke. Just bear with us and temporally forget what you know and go with us.

Rootsy
06-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Jamie, might take you up on that, although I thought you had your hands full on the mistress deck. Going to take some vacuum readings and figure out the timing for Jim today. Hopefully will get a little better handle on the problem before I buy a family deck boat:wink:. I wonder if i can get one with a 496 mag that will do 80?:bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk:

Too bloody hot to be cutting and grinding fiberglass.. But my sweet corn sure is growing :lookaroun:

Donziweasel
06-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Grizz, I will be the first to say I know alot and very little at the same time. I am a big bus mechanic, use to dealing with Detriots and Cummings. Got a great shop for fixing busses or tuning Donzi's.:) While many seem to say they know a lot about engines, I will be the first to say I know very little on marine V-8 setups. I figure admitting I know little is half the battle. Thank you for the words of encouragement. I love my Donzi, but man it is getting discouraging. I will also say a small part of me is enjoying learning the marine setups and Holley carbs. I have plans for future mods on an 18 eventually and the more knowledge I can get the better. Donzi.net is the best resource I have ever seen for what I am trying to accomplish. You guys are great!:)

Jamie, got a better idea. Load up the truck and you and Patti come visit. High today of 84 with 5% humidity. Down right pleasant, except for some haze from a few forest fires. Get my boat running right and you can borrow it for your whole vacation out here!:bonk::bonk: I think we would all like to see some pics of your killer corn!:bonk::wink:

Donziweasel
06-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Just getting ready to check vacuum and timing and noticed bearing cover gone on one of the wheels on the trailer. Now have to repack bearings. I swear this boat is possessed!:mad::bonk:

Donziweasel
06-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Had I thought before I check vacuum and timing. Out west at elevation we have something called "vaporlock". One of the reasons I was asking about intake manifold temps. What happens is that fuel lines run too close to the exhaust will actually vaporize fuel before it gets to the injectors or carb. Result is that vehicle runs rough or dies. I noticed my fuel line splitter is only about an inch off the manifold. As I stated, yesterday, I spilled a little fuel on the intake and it immediatly started boiling. Might try and insulate the line a little. What do you think? Off to check vacuum and timing, should have results in an hour.

RickSE
06-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Have you set the idle mixture with the vacuum gauge? Marine engines need very minimal idle mixture to run correctly. Set the mixture equal on both sides where you get the most vacuum at the base of the carb.

Donziweasel
06-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Rick, how was Powell? Hot? Got pics? Don's boat ripping? I am simply trying to get manifold vacuum readings and timing first. Then going to try whatever you guys recommend. Here are the vacuum readings in nuetral-

800 rpm-10
1500 rpm- 13
2000 rpm 13.5

Now a big issue, hooked up timing light and quickly found out I can not see timing marks at all on crank pulley. Can't even get the timing light near them, wherever they are. The pulley is simply too close in the 16 to the bulkhead to see anything, unless the marks are somewhere I am not looking. Tried a mirror to no avail. What is the easiest way to check timing on a 16C without losing my light (or fingers) to pulley and belts?

Rootsy
06-27-2007, 02:32 PM
It helps to be double jointed....

Rootsy
06-27-2007, 02:39 PM
For those that have always wondered exactly what changing the pretty blue accelerator pump cam to the pretty pink one would do....

RickSE
06-27-2007, 02:45 PM
I use White-Out on the balancer timing mark to make it more visable under the timing light strobe. There should be a timing groove cut in the outside diameter of the balancer; fill the groove with a light colored paint to see it better.

Powell was great. I'm putting updates in the Powell post under events as time permits.

MOP
06-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Rick, how was Powell? Hot? Got pics? Don's boat ripping? I am simply trying to get manifold vacuum readings and timing first. Then going to try whatever you guys recommend. Here are the vacuum readings in nuetral-
800 rpm-10
1500 rpm- 13
2000 rpm 13.5
Now a big issue, hooked up timing light and quickly found out I can not see timing marks at all on crank pulley. Can't even get the timing light near them, wherever they are. The pulley is simply too close in the 16 to the bulkhead to see anything, unless the marks are somewhere I am not looking. Tried a mirror to no avail. What is the easiest way to check timing on a 16C without losing my light (or fingers) to pulley and belts?

Before I cut the hatch into the seat back I used a flex neck mirror and shot is from an angle worked decent but the hatch was the "Cats Azz" also made belt adjusting super easy!

Phil

Donziweasel
06-27-2007, 04:15 PM
I have a board that is simply screwed in behind the rear seat cushion. Removed it, but the crank pulley is still down behind the battery box. Not really looking to put another cut out through the bulkhead to get to the pulley and timing marks. I know some other 16 guys have had this issue. Come on guys, help a poor feller out. Damn, it is tight in there!

Rick, good idea with the whiteout, if I can ever get to it! Does the 18 have more room between the bulkhead and crank pulley?

RickSE
06-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Does the 18 have more room between the bulkhead and crank pulley?

:yes:

Stevo440
06-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Well if your timing checks out ok and your carb is adjusted right at your 800rpm idle in neutral, and your gettin 10" of vacuum at that rpm then there is one more problem that has'nt been brought up, and that is the cam timing, it could be retarded maybe by as much as one tooth. You would have the charateristic low vacuum at lower rpms 800-2000 and lack of lower rpm power, (very bogey not crisp and peppy) it would start makin power and the cam would start catchin up with the motor at higher rpms. So what rpm are you turnin at 47mph? I hope its just the timin bein off alot, cause the solution to the above is a pain, pull the motor and check the cam timing/alignment. Sofar you've had two carbs and the problem is still hangin around.

Steve

Donziweasel
06-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Then I will have to wait to see how the bidding on this 18 goes-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-DONZI-18-CLASSIC-LESS-THAN-50-HRS-70-MPH-FASTDONZI_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31270QQihZ014 QQitemZ330136231779QQrdZ1

Still need the 16 to run right. Going to adjust idle like you recommended when I get some time, probably this weekend. Out of time for now- I have 3 sets of aunts and uncles in town, wifes parents, wifes brother and his wife, plus two nieces. When you live in Jackson Hole, you never seem to have a lack of people wanting to visit. Next two days I promised to take them fly fishing, whitewater rafting, and Friday a full day in Yellowstone. Hopefully will get to play with timing and other stuff Saturday.

mrfixxall
06-27-2007, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=Donziweasel;415399]Then I will have to wait to see how the bidding on this 18 goes-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-DONZI-18-CLASSIC-LESS-THAN-50-HRS-70-MPH-FASTDONZI_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31270QQihZ014 QQitemZ330136231779QQrdZ1
Still need the 16 to run right. Going to adjust idle like you recommended when I get some time, probably this weekend. Out of time for now- I have 3 sets of aunts and uncles in town, wifes parents, wifes brother and his wife, plus two nieces. When you live in Jackson Hole, you never seem to have a lack of people wanting to visit. Next two days I promised to take them fly fishing, whitewater rafting, and Friday a full day in Yellowstone. Hopefully will get to play with timing and other stuff Saturday.[/QUOTE

I think that boat might be a scam,,i remember other board members talking about this boat..

Donziweasel
06-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Boat is not a scam, it is being sold by Lightning Marine (fastdonzi.com), but I think the bidder might be. I bid and then he out bid me everytime. Not unusual, but here is the kicker, he has never bid on anything before. Not only that, yesterday he bid on another boat. Two theories, one he is a scammer, second, it is Lightning trying to get the price up. They have many boats for sale on ebay right now and they could be trying to scratch thier own itch by driving up the price. Anyone ever deal with John over there.

Here was my two questions for them, with no real answer- Boat says always garaged with 50 hours- how in the hell does a garaged boat with 50 hours get such a faded deck stripe? Look close at the pics. John said all buffed out and looks brand new.

Second, although the website says "fresh and salt", John says the boat only ran in fresh. Look at the bilge, it has a lot of rust in it. How does a 50 hour boat in fresh water get rust in the bilge? Mine has over 250 hours with no rust at all.

Told Lightning that I thought the auction was not right and would contact them after it was over. If boat is still around, then perhaps, but only after I have it inspected by independent marine inspector or pehaps a board member who is close.

tmdog
06-27-2007, 06:31 PM
This is not a scam??? Google 1999 Donzi. Looks like a scam to me. Same boat, same name and same reg. #. It seems this Donzi has been floating around for some time.:eek!:

Donziweasel
06-27-2007, 09:33 PM
tmdog- I stand corrected, something is very fishey. Found this on google-

http://www.onlineboatsales.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?action=sad&adid=13780

I though Lightning Bay Marine was a pretty reputable Donzi dealer from what i had read from some other members. Simple solution, I will simply tell them I am right around the corner and ask to see the boat. I guess then we will see if it is a scam or not. Thanks for the heads up.:wink: