PDA

View Full Version : Anchor in a 22 Classic

DudeHoss
06-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Hey Guys!

Storage is limited in our Classics. So, I bought an anchor and I can't figure out a way to store the thing. I could let it bang around under the bow till one of the points pokes a hole in the side of the boat and then consider it mounted. However, I figured you guys probably already have a solution for this. I'm trying to figure out the best place and solution for mounting an anchor so it's easy to access and locked in place when not in use. Ok guys, what do you do with yours? I've included a picture of the anchor I purchased.

Side Note: My friend uses Zaino polishes for his corvette. The car has never looked better. I emailed the website and one of the owners wrote me back. He said,

"Zaino Show Car polish is great on boats. It is Gelcoat safe and will
stand up to saltwater and UV rays longer than anything you've ever used. For optimum results I
would recommend Z-AIO & your choice of either Z-2, Z-3 or Z-5 for use on your boat"

Anybody know anything about this stuff??? What do you think?

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

zimm17
06-25-2007, 03:24 PM
Toss that Danforth in the garage like most of do. No way to easily store it. I tried lots of option, even a big tupperware tub that broke.

Splurge and get a slide-anchor brand box anchor.
http://www.slideanchor.com/box.asp

I use the "small" galvanized model. Works awesome, holds with almost no scope on the line, folds up flat, and has it's own heavy duty bag that will hold it and a 100' of line. I've even used it to hold 3 boats rafted together in high winds with no problems.

Do a search here, on hotboat.com and offshoreonly.com and you'll see it's the best.

glashole
06-25-2007, 03:47 PM
I put a small lifejacket around mine and put it up front

seems to work alright :)

you have to remember to take the jacket off the anchor before use because it doesn't work as well with it on

Shea

BaldEagle
06-25-2007, 04:28 PM
I use the Zaino on my Corvette and like it a lot also. Haven't tried in on the boat yet.
R/e the anchor, you can just use an alum. Fortress anchor that disassembles easily for storage, or, I had a padded sunbrella case made.

undertaker
06-25-2007, 04:52 PM
I store mine in one of these and keep it up in the bow storage area...:):)

http://www.mooringlines.com/accessories.htm

Undertaker:cool:

ChromeGorilla
06-25-2007, 05:13 PM
I keep 2 of these, each with 75' of line attached, in the floor locker. They have worked great for me so far.

BigGrizzly
06-25-2007, 05:58 PM
I use a fortress take apart aluminum anchor.

DudeHoss
06-25-2007, 06:36 PM
Has anyone ever mounted the anchor anywhere. After a life jacket bag, dock line and fender bag, extra life jacket and a throwable pfd, I don't have much room for the anchor bag. I'm just throwing around ideas what to do with the anchor. I keep the anchor line in the dockline bag.

bald eagle:

Does the Zaino polish system work well and last a long time? Also, I understand there is a catalyst that can be added to the polishes to make them work better. Can you enlighten me?

zelatore
06-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Don't let these guys fool you - the Danforth style anchor is a great style for use in soft bottoms - mud, clay, sand, etc. About the only thing I wouldn't use one for is weeds, and not much works in that situation.

I have a Danforth in my 22, (and my 32 as well as a stern anchor) mounted in the engine room. Not much to look at if you are trying to show off some engine bling, but it works and doesn't cost me any storage space. I mounted it on the engine bulkhead using an adjustable hanger (west marine pn 488353), then coiled 100' of line and hung it off a quick-release plastic hanger (pn 399360). To keep the whole mess from bouncing around or getting caught in the engine belts, I put a couple pad eyes on either side with a small bungee cord to hold everything tight against the bulkhead.

Another option would be something like the Guardian or Fortress anchors. Aluminum Danforth style fluke anchors that break down and can be stored in a bag. Light weight, but with big flukes for good holding power.

The mushroom style anchors are pretty much useless in any wind or current as they don't 'set'. They rely mostly on their weight to hold a boat in place. That might be fine in a dinghy or RIB where you don't want sharp points damaging the boat, but you'll never find one of those on a cruising boat that stays at anchor for any length of time. Just walk around a marina some day and look at the bow pulpits. You'll see Danforths, Plows, and CQRs. There's no way to store a Plow or CQR without a pulpit, but the Danforths are compact and flat, so storage is easy.

Saturday I leave for a raft up where we’ll have about 15 boats on the hook for a solid week over the 4th. There will be plenty of Danforth style anchors, along with some Deltas (plows) and at least one big CQR. No mushrooms in sight, except as appetizers. I’d bet you’ll find the same mix of anchors on the 1500 or so other boats that will be anchored out in the same area all next week.

zelatore
06-25-2007, 09:19 PM
My apologies. I started writing my reply then got called away for a few hours. I see that several other people have already suggested some of the same things I did, such as the break-down anchors.

gero1
06-25-2007, 10:08 PM
i keep mine in the bow road trip's boat, i think it scrubs off about 1mph for him....sshhhh don't tell him it's in there

RickSE
06-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Your anchor choice should depend on where you boat and the type of bottom you anchor in.

I use a Danforth spec'd for a 25' boat with 10' of heavy chain. I cut the ears off the danforth (rods sticking out the sides) so it would fit in my center floor storage. I can fit the anchor, chain, 100' of 3/8" anchor line, (2) 50' 1/2" anchor lines and a collapsible anchor in my center storage bin.

Dr. Dan
06-26-2007, 07:39 PM
:smash:I use a Danforth, its sized for about a 30' Boat, I have coated chain and about 100' of Rode. I need a second one ...a bit smaller for the Stern for Raft Ups or Sand Bars...

I store it in a large Anchor Bag, I wrap it up with a few Thick Towels, I store it flat in my Ski Locker area up front so its reasonably accessible, I have had no issues with it... used it just this weekend in Lake Anna with Brad and Amy & Norm and Sarah... other than the other idiots who have no clue how to boat let alone Anchor... I seldom have issues.

The collapsable styles and Box ones are convenient... I like the hold power of a Danforth Style...I boat in the Chesapeake mostly and it can get nasty... but not usually an issue in protected Raft up areas.

I am going to get a Plastisol Coated Anchor for my Stern... it'll store in the Same Bag. You can get them made or go to a Surplus Store and get Drill Cotton...for the Military... its bullet proof. The Towels soften the Blows..and give ya padding when rolling all of the rode back in.

Also... good idea to air out the Rode if its put away wet... let it dry in the sun...and put it in the Bag...stops mold and mildew.

Good Luck

Doc of the Bay

gcarter
06-26-2007, 08:30 PM
When I still had the Minx, I used a Danforth which stayed in the shop most of the time. But when I needed it, it was stored in front of the forward port stringer gusset under the rear seat (no firewall on the Minx). It rode there just fine...no issues and easy to get to.

ChromeGorilla
06-26-2007, 10:06 PM
i keep mine in the bow road trip's boat, i think it scrubs off about 1mph for him....sshhhh don't tell him it's in there

LMAO... no wonder Doc and Havers boats pooped all over him in LG....:wink: :D

roadtrip se
06-26-2007, 10:17 PM
it's your turn to carry the dang thing this upcoming weekend. Besides, you could use the weight to keep that BH nose from pointing to the sun.

I do carry a Danforth, 10 foot of coated chain, and a 150 feet of rode in a
rubber dive bag under the bow. I hate rattles and damage potential even more, but the bag keeps the thing snuggly in place.

ChromeGorilla
06-26-2007, 10:23 PM
And we all know that theres no way in hell Air22 has an anchor on board..... it may scrub .00365 MPH off....

zimm17
06-27-2007, 12:01 PM
I use a Danforth spec'd for a 25' boat with 10' of heavy chain. I cut the ears off the danforth (rods sticking out the sides) so it would fit in my center floor storage. I can fit the anchor, chain, 100' of 3/8" anchor line, (2) 50' 1/2" anchor lines and a collapsible anchor in my center storage bin.

I like that idea. I'll see if I can cut down my danforth to keep under the floor as my "storm" or backup anchor. The folding box anchor works really well though. Sometimes it's nice to have a second anchor for tying up at the beach.

yeller
06-27-2007, 10:05 PM
I store mine in the bow. It's in a padded bag, plus I wrap a life vest around it. I do plan on building a box to store it in the engine compartment though.

I'm with Zimm17. Love the box anchor. No chain needed and it sets really quick, regardless of bottom. :yes:

DudeHoss
06-28-2007, 11:40 AM
I like the idea of cutting down the side bars. That makes the anchor a lot more manageable. But Chrome is right, how important is an anchor if it could potentially even cost you a fraction of a mph.

zimm17
06-28-2007, 11:47 AM
I like the idea of cutting down the side bars. That makes the anchor a lot more manageable. But Chrome is right, how important is an anchor if it could potentially even cost you a fraction of a mph.

True story- last summer during the Norfolk, VA "Ocean marine" poker run, I'm getting slammed by 4' seas in 30mph winds in the mouth of the James river- all of a sudden my engine temp soars to 230deg- I shut down the engine and the wind is really moving us towards the pillars of a huge bridge. We were prob 5 minutes from getting slammed into the bridge so I dove under the deck, grabbed the box anchor bag, opened her up and tossed it over the side. It hooked immediately, we tied it off and were about 200' from the bridge. Then we could assess the damage (radiator cap blew off). We filled her up with salt water, all the while a cop boat stops by. Not to offer assistance, but to give us a safety inspection while a passenger is throwing up over the side from the rough seas. We passed, got the engine filled back up, pulled anchor and were on the way. No thanks to the local marine patrol...

So there- you do need an anchor :yes:

zelatore
06-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Don't get me started about the local marine gestapo.

Last spring, after a big fireworks show here on the the bay we were just hanging out on the hook waiting for the mad house of hundreds of boats running around in the dark to subside before we pulled up anchor and headed back to Oakland. (this was in my 32 Carver)

About then, a local cop (read: 18 year old kid with a buzz cut, a gun, and an attitute) comes up screeming that we needed to move the boat or the fireworks barge would mow us down on the way back to it's berth. OK...didn't look like a big deal to me but we'll move. Well, our windlass jamed and tripped a breaker. Not a bit issue, we can clear it in about 3 minutes, but that wasn't good enough for Barrny Fife. He screems some more then cuts our rode and sets us adrift (at least the engines were running). Nice. That was about $1000 worth of anchor, chain, and 3-strand nylon you just hacked off there buddy.

Oh, and the fireworks barge that was going to hit us? He was already by and getting tied up at the pier by then...

Whadaya gonna do? Argue with an armed idiot cop? I just used this as an excuse to install a new windlass and bigger anchor (45 lb Delta)

Squiggy111
07-01-2007, 07:33 PM
On my 22' Donzi I have a stainless anchor storage box that is mounted flush on the forward Bow deck just behind the lifting eye. The anchor drops int the stainless holder and is stored below the deck , then the stainless hatch door when you close and lock it looks like a slick stainless hatch . The other cool feature is the anchor rope is attached below deck to the lifting eye Rod!, so all the rope disapears below deck. Simple to use!...the rope is attached to the anchor & to the lifting eye rod so all you do is ,open the hatch, pull the anchor out with rope attached, throw anchor, tie of to lifting eye, ....after pulling anchor.....feed the rope into hatch as it is stored below deck, drop anchor , I wrap a velcrow strap around anchor points to keep it from clanking, dropp anchor into box where it's stored vertically, close and lock hatch.....neat and painless.....hardest part is jumping the windshield!

Carl C
07-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Here's mine. This gets the anchor out of the cock-pit and shifts the weight aft too.