PDA

View Full Version : motor is to tall

glashole
06-22-2007, 09:47 AM
I have a problem

apparently i was running to small of a spark arrestor, along with other problems and starving the motor

I have the correct one on now but the hood won't close

what would you suggest

bubble in the hood
smallest hood scoop we can make opening forward
smallest hood scoop we can make opening towards the rear

i am not a fan of hood scoops and i really don't want the bubble nor do i want a hole in the hood

suggestions? :)

Shea

MOP
06-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Shea do a search, there were a couple of threads on that problem. Some used an low profile oval air cleaner not sure who made it/them or if they wer CG approved but yhey fit!

Phil

maddad
06-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Just the size you need, and don't buffet the boosters.

vonkamp
06-22-2007, 01:30 PM
Donzi made what I think they called a "Ferarri hood" back in the 80s. I had the same problem with my 69 donzi and I modified mine to that. I will try to find a pic to post.

RedDog
06-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Aren't you running a stock 502 MPI - I don't see why you would have a problem?

Have any pictures?

ChromeGorilla
06-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Not a fan of scoops either..... but Catch 22's looks way friggin nice! :yes:

MOP
06-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Catch's scoop & rear window are both super and well done!

Cuda
06-22-2007, 08:17 PM
I have the same problem. My 4 inch flame arrestor from an HP 500 won't fit under my hatch, probably because they reinforced the hatch when I had the scoop that was on it filled in. What I want is a flame arrestor like this, which they sell at Trick Marine, but the price tag is holding me back. It was $299 a couple months ago, it's now $349. In the meantime, I took one of the K&N filters off the Formula to put on.

glashole
12-16-2008, 07:46 AM
as some of you know the solution to my problem ended up with a small reverse facing hood scoop

as seen in the photo

wouldn't have been too bad if the guy had at least matched the colour

I added the sticker to take some of the effect away from it

as you can see it does work but ultimately takes away from the lines of the boat, and they didn't do an overly good job

glashole
12-16-2008, 07:52 AM
so
over the last month or so i had my regular guy replace the scoop with a bubble and clean up the inside-

-which I got the idea after seeing Mick's in Kentucky last year-

I think the lines are a little better and overall makes a better looking set up

everyone has their own opinions though

finally happy with just about everything on the boat........

MOP
12-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Shea I kind of liked the "TUNA CAN" sticking up through the hatch, now it is just another bubble/scooper:shocking: Just kidding the updated one looks good, will see you next year at the river!

Phil

Team Jefe
12-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Shea - Harbor Master had the same problem and used a scoop from a 1979 mustang I think, and it looks great...send him a PM.

BigGrizzly
12-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Of course the easiest solution would have been to use the one Bad Tat used- no bump no nothing.