PDA

View Full Version : Leaving For Alaska Tonight........

Carl C
06-19-2007, 07:12 AM
My flight leaves at 7:30 tonight, not the red-eye though since we'll be chasing the sun across the country to the land where it never gets dark this time of year. It's a 7 hour flight but I'll only lose 3 hours on the clock. (I hate jet lag!) I'll be there 11 days and we have several adventures planned for this year. (my only family lives there) I'll try to post from there. Sure gonna miss my boat!

Lenny
06-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Be sure to wave when you are passing overhead :D

Have fun there. And be SURE to eat more Alaskan King Crab than you ever thought possible :)

Carl C
06-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Be sure to wave when you are passing overhead :D
Have fun there. And be SURE to eat more Alaskan King Crab than you ever thought possible :) I'll wave to you and yeller! :wavey:Never eaten crab there yet but I've learned to stay away from the reindeer sausage. Salmon is big there but we have that in Michigan. Gonna try to catch a few ZZZZs now.

Carl C
06-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Greetings from the land of the midnight sun! Will post pics later if I can find a mini usb cable.:)

Carl C
06-21-2007, 02:51 PM
Here the docks have floatplanes, not boats! When you do see a boat it's likely to look like this funny looking one. And here's me at Carls Jr. (we don't have those in the east) We are going on a 4 day road trip to Valdez. Later.

vonkamp
06-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Great pic's Carl! You are right, west coast boats do tend to look funny. When I was out there a while back I took some boat pics and was going to post a west coast vs east coast boat thread. Sure is pretty country out there. Have fun & post more pics :).
Cheers,
Barry

zelatore
06-22-2007, 08:25 PM
West coast boats look FUNCTIONAL while east coast boats look sexy.

Sexy is fun - but when you have real weather and water to deal with, you end up with a west coast boat design!

Not many center consol rigs out here compared to the number of enclosed pilothouse fish boats. Think Rock Harbor, Farallon, Orca, Osprey, Albin, etc. Lots of aluminum stuff too.

Beauty is in they eye of the guy getting soaked in 50-degree weather and 6' swells with a 3' wind chop. Oh, and it's probably raining too. :)

Carl C
06-30-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm home after 11 days in Alaska to visit family. Here are some pics. There's a moose with 2 calves on the side of the road. The harbor is at Valdez.That's me in front on "Bidal Veil Falls".

need for speed
07-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Looks really nice!! I need to go one of
these days!