PDA

View Full Version : HULL discoloration...HELP

donzist
06-18-2007, 09:24 PM
I have a 2006 35zf cuddy and the topsides seem to be developing some yellowish spots... A friend of mine said it seems as if the factory didnt put enough gelcoat on it. does this make sense?? Any other possible reasons for this. The boat has a full cover from bow to stern so its not even exposed to sunlight all day!

tahnks in advance guys

mrfixxall
06-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Its from rhe minerals in the water,try buffing it with some coarse buffing compound or buff it with comit kitchen clenser...then buff with micro compond and keep it waxed. wax will help and seal the gel from the deposits staining the gel..

donzist
06-19-2007, 07:22 AM
I'll give it a try this weekend and se if it works, hopefully that't is and itll come off!!!

Its just weird that in in certain random spots along the topsides and forward cabin and nothing along the hull, deck floor, transom, etc.

Thanks for your advice fixall!!:):)

mrfixxall
06-19-2007, 09:14 AM
I'll give it a try this weekend and se if it works, hopefully that't is and itll come off!!!
Its just weird that in in certain random spots along the topsides and forward cabin and nothing along the hull, deck floor, transom, etc.
Thanks for your advice fixall!!:):)

BTW check your cover for mildew, that will leave stains too..

smokediver
06-19-2007, 10:58 AM
that happens a lot here with covered boats .. i bet the spots are where the cover is laying on the boat ... i don't know why , but certain covers kinda "burn" into the finish ... i have a canvas cover and it seems to be fine but it is removed a few times a week ... i dont think the problem is the gel coat , it is the cover ... imho ...

CHACHI
06-19-2007, 11:04 AM
I have a white deck and have used a bleached soaked rag laying on the spot to help remove spots in the past.
Ken

donzist
06-19-2007, 07:31 PM
thanks for the advice guys. I will snap some pics this weekend of the stains and the cover for you guys to see. The cover goes from bow to stern, over the t top, and over the outboards. The spots where the stains are actually do not touch the cover, its near since the cover goes about a foot down from the top of the deck to the sides. The stains are on the topsides where the rodholders and pop up cleats are located, and on the forward cuddy cabin, where the non skid is (nothing on the shinny gelcoat).

once again , thanks for everything, ill keep u guys posted!:)

Oh yeah, almost forgot, my cover is a light grey canvas cover with some holes on it with scoops so it "breathes" Also the cover is taken off at least once a week it I dont use the boat

MOP
06-19-2007, 07:38 PM
I have a white deck and have used a bleached soaked rag laying on the spot to help remove spots in the past.
Ken

Kenny you beat me to that one!!! That works very well on most stains especially oak leave stains and way better then wearing the gel coat out with abrasives!!!