PDA

View Full Version : Advice on installing a transom mounted pickup

DON-Z-26ZX
06-18-2007, 04:23 PM
I goofed last weekend while out at the islands, I wasn't paying close enough attention, & drifted over a shallow sandbar. Cooling system got "PACKED" with sand. I got lucky though, it didn't go past the T-stat, & had it all cleaned out in about 30 mins (I'm so thankful Donzi set their engines so one can work on them quite easily)...anyway. I found several old threads on this unfortunate event (so, I didn't feel completely like an idiot ), but they all seemed to head in the direction of installing a transom mounted pickup. I can see how this would help, but what do I do with the pickup in the drive? I read where folks have used this as a drive shower, how is that done? I also saw one post saying there may be possible problems on a stepped hull. I went on the Stainless Marine site, they have some very nice set-ups, but not sure what size I would need to go with....Anyone got any tips on do's & don't's or am I just wasting my time with this, & should just really pay closer attention to the depth?

gcarter
06-18-2007, 04:45 PM
On my Minx, I had a small 1/4" plate fabricated to use as a block off and it was bolted onto the inside of gimbal housing. I completely removed the hose through the transom. The hose fitting exiting the upper gear case could be a source of water for a shower.
I believe stepped hull boats use them frequently. The water coming off the steps is highly aerated but there's still lots of water picked up. It would be no different, probably, than a shorty on a stepped hull.
I'm going to be installing a SM 1" pickup this Saturday, I'll post pictures as quickly as I can.:smash:

DON-Z-26ZX
06-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the input, it really looks like it wouldn't be too tough to do. I've found several companies that offer different style of pick-ups. I'll look for the pics.