PDA

View Full Version : test

Digger
06-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Hi all,
I've retired from the USMC and we'll be starting the next chapter of our lives in DC where I'll be working in the Pentagon. Unfortunately the great setup of having the boat at my house has to end... we'll be moving into a townhouse close to the beltway and I need to find a place for the boat. I'm finding slim pickings... nothing on the Potomac that I can find open either in lift slips or rack storage. Does anyone know of options for the Western shore of the Chesapeake? At this point I'd settle for an RV/storage lot somewhere within a few miles of the water.

thanks in advance!

RedDog
06-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Good to hear from you Digger!

My brother lives walking distance to http://www.mountvernonyachtclub.com/ . Nice club and people. Great 7/4 and 12/31 parties :party:. I don't recall any lifts but maybe you can install your own?

He keeps his sport fisherman down on the Chesapeake near Mathews since it is closer to open ocean water. He has talked about a marina near there that does service for him.

Marlin275
06-18-2007, 05:13 PM
When my father moved to Mclean Virginia.
We kept the 37 ft Trimaran on South River in Maryland next to Annapolis.
Great boating there, St Michaels is right across the bay.
About 50 min drive to dock.
Two different times we rented dock space from people living on the water with no boat.
Good deal and other people thought they owned the boat.

Formula Jr
06-18-2007, 06:00 PM
I would try South River also.
There are also some smaller Boat-Tel type marinas around Shady Side.
They can easily handle 33 footers.

smokediver
06-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Can't help you on the storage but wanted to send my thanks and congrats !

chappy
06-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Can't help you with the boat space, but thanks for all you did for us.:flag-mari:

Rich

MOP
06-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Matt sorry about your boating dilemma, but really glad we will not be saying prayers for you anymore. You have earned an easier path!

Phil

Digger
06-19-2007, 06:51 AM
thanks guys; serving was my honor and privilege. Glad I made it through unscathed. Now I intend to spend more time with family... Oh yeah and let my hair grow (a little)

Owen where is shady side/south river?

Lenny
06-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Can't help you on the storage but wanted to send my thanks and congrats !

Ditto from Lenny and Deneen too. :)

Nice to hear from you again M...

:D

Formula Jr
06-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Matt, I haven't been in that area in awhile, but I know South River caters to go-fasts.

South River is, well, South of the Severn River. There are three marines in the Edgewater area (where Route 2 Crosses.)

Shady Side is much more layed back and Rural. On a map, look further south form South River and you'll see a small bay with two rivers. Mayo is on the North Side, and Shady Side is on the South Side.

There are other large modern marinas along that section of the western shore from Shady Side to Chesapeak Beach.

For Peace of Mind, the Boatel system works well. You just have to call the marina before you leave your house and they'll have the boat in the water when you get there. Some have long term, stacked, trailer storage.

I would never keep a boat at an R/V storage area in Maryland......

Good luck...

Digger
06-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Owen, thanks. I think I've found a candidate in Deale MD. Will go take a look when I get a chance, the name of the place is Harbour Cove Marina. I've done rack storage before at a very large facility but wasn't real satisfied with their cust service... this one looks a little more mom and pop-ish and they were really nice on the phone so we'll see.

thanks again everybody

Formula Jr
07-11-2007, 01:51 AM
Matt, I'll ask my brother what he knows about Harbor Cove in Deale. You are definitely in the right area. As I remember, Route 4 isn't that bad traffic-wise. But my impressions are 20 years old.

At Deale, you are in a perfect spot for buzz runs to Oxford for dinner and back.

Team Jefe
07-11-2007, 06:58 AM
Digger, missed this thread earlier. I too can't help with the Storage of Freedom. Just wanted to say Congrats on your retirement, The Marines have lost a fine aviator and first class officer. I wish you the best of luck in this new chapter. Give that hot wife of yours a kiss for me.

Be good Amigo.

gcarter
07-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Hey Matt;
Also congrats on your retirement!!! The military's in your blood, huh?
Retiring to the Pentagon....that's great!
I have a neighbor that's a retired AF general and he told me he loved working in the pentagon...said it was the best job he ever had.

Digger
07-14-2007, 07:48 AM
done deal... left a deposit with Harbor Cove Marina in Deale after speaking with the manager and some of the staff. They were very accomodating and professional and we liked the look of the place; good security, well maintained, and clean. We'll take the boat up there later this month. Sure does feel good to have a new home for her!

BigGrizzly
07-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Digger I am glad your retired and in good health. I want to say Thanks for helping keep us safe and taking care of our Chief of Staff. My Dad would have been proud of you. Take care and it is now time to spend time with your family.