PDA

View Full Version : 18' Century MK II what do you know about these?

Little GTO
06-18-2007, 08:50 AM
I found a Century MKII 18 footer for sale. It has a 225HP 318 Chrysler and a V- Drive. I know nothing else about these boats. Is it a decent hull design? Popular boat at any time in history? Any wierdness to watch out for?Known Problems?
Thanks guys.
Paul

chappy
06-18-2007, 09:34 AM
A friend used to own one. I think it was mid to late 70's, good for skiing. Classy looking boat. Not something you'd thrown down a pink slip in a race,:newzealand: but nice solid looking boat. He never had a problem with the hull. I think I saw one for sale in the Vancouver area with a decent price of less than 7k.
Good luck,
Rich

Ted Guldemond
06-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Had a 1972 Mk II from 72-76. It was a great boat. Had a 340 chrysler with a V drive. It ran even with a stock Donzi of the day-51-53mph. The hull was strong. I beat the hell out of that thing and never had a problem. The engine hatch was made up of three large cushions. It was a great boat for a teenager.

Little GTO
06-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Thanks guys!

I am going to try to look at it today. I have the trailer hitch all ready to go. :wink:

cheers

Paul

Little GTO
06-19-2007, 08:35 PM
Well I went and looked at (drooled) on her today. What a nice craft. You can eat off the engine and bilge. Not a mark or oil drip or water. It's all original with Chrysler manifolds, new Edelbrock carb and ignition system. The V-drive has been rebuilt in the last few years. The hull is beautiful for the age (1975). It has been bottom painted but it is in good condition. Raw water cooled. Funky aircraft style throttle control (you pull a knob on the dash board) not sure how I will like this. The fiberglas is in great shape, the interior is excellent all original brown with Century written on the middle of it. It's sitting on a galvanized trailer and is ready to go.

I took pics today but can't get them off my camera. I left the card reader at home.

Anyways, your replies are appreciated as I need to decide tonight or tomorrow morning latest if I am going to take it.

BTW Rich, yes, this is the one.

Thanks guys,
Paul

Craig S
06-19-2007, 10:50 PM
Funky aircraft style throttle control (you pull a knob on the dash board) not sure how I will like this. l

You'll get used to it...or at least I have.

Should be a great boat...almost congrats!

Little GTO
06-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Woo hoo!! She's mine! Made the deal today and towed her home...6 hours of driving but it was worth it. Have a look at the pics and let me know your thoughts. Going to try to get out tomorrow for the first day of summer. Too bad I couldn't stay on the coast for the Poker Run. Would have been a good shake down cruise.

More later.

Cheers
Paul

http://www3.telus.net/radioboy/DSCN2010.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/radioboy/DSCN1985.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/radioboy/DSCN1987.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/radioboy/DSCN1990.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/radioboy/DSCN2006.jpg

chappy
06-21-2007, 07:29 AM
Great looking boat. Best of luck with her.

Rich

Craig S
06-21-2007, 08:25 AM
Nice!

trippledigits
06-21-2007, 03:57 PM
that boat looks like time stood still. mint looking, good luck with her. very nice ride

SurfGreenTele
06-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Whoa nice!!! Congrats! :cool: I think I actually have pics of that boat on my computer that I had found while researching MK II's.

Now I'm jealous. :D I wish the seller of the one I wanted to look at didn't flake out.

vonkamp
06-22-2007, 08:54 PM
That is one nice boat you got there! Century has a pretty good following too so there should be plenty sources for info. and parts. :yes:

Little GTO
06-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks guys, for all the compliments!! She is a nice ride, although a little less freeboard than I am used to. Got soaked coming home a couple of days ago. I have been out for the last 3 days giving her the shakedown and am pretty comfortable with the handling now. Still a lot to get used to with a left hand prop/V-drive. I have been boating with I/O boats for years and this is a whole new ball game.

I am going to be investigating some performance upgrades soon. She currently maxes out at 3800 RPM at 40MPH. I know she is good for more. Going to start with the basics, plugs, points, timing, jetting etc. There is a new Edelbrock carb on it and I don't know if the fellow had it built for the engine or just put on a stock carb. It's a 318 Chrysler, my first Chryco product. I am a Pontiac/Chevy/Ford guy.. :convertib::wink:

Your thoughts?? I think this should be a 50MPH boat but am not too worried about getting there, nor want to spend big bucks on intakes/cams etc. Just performance tuning. Modern ignition maybe or stay with points?? Pros and cons I know. Reliability, parts availability on the water etc..

Thanks!
Paul

PS Surfgreentele this boat came out of Seattle in 2004 and is in the Century boat registry. I too found it on the web. thanks.

http://www3.telus.net/radioboy/DSCN2023.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/radioboy/Boat2.jpg

Craig S
06-25-2007, 08:56 AM
A&A Marine in Manistee (where the boat was built) can help you with most anything you may need, fwiw. Including questions. See you at a Century meet?

SurfGreenTele
06-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Hey ve7khz, do you happen to know the exact beam on that boat? Just curious.

Little GTO
07-01-2007, 12:17 AM
Hey Mr. Telecaster

Nice looking guitar you have there. What type of music do you play? I have a Jackson Pro, play with my neighbour in a garage band, mainly blues but stray to mainstream stuff once in a while.

I will try to remember to measure the beam tomorrow when I go out. Where do you want me to measure? Outside of the Hull, deck, trim?

Cheers

Paul

Craig S
07-01-2007, 10:02 AM
6'11"?

If you find its not a '75, lemme know.

Little GTO
07-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Hi Craig,

Thanks for the brochure page!! That is awesome. I don't have much info on this boat.

As for the year, the fellow I got it from says he did LOTS of research on it when he bought it 3 years ago from Seattle, it was listed as a 1972 and was sold as such and registered as such, but he says his research says it should be a 1975. I haven't gone looking for hull #'s etc but will some day. I know the Cranberry color is 1975 but paint is easy to apply.

Let me know your thoughts. Are there certain features or telltale signs that would tell me it's a 1972 or 1975? Do you still have a MKII? What engine did/does she have a what top speed were you able to attain?

Cheers

Paul

SurfGreenTele
07-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Hey, another thanks for that brochure. :cool:

Paul, thanks, glad you like the Tele. :) I play mostly blues and progressive rock type stuff, just at home though - can't really find anyone to jam with. I studied classical for 3 years in college, but I went back to electric. Oddly, I think I was a better classical player than rock player haha. But I'm just too hooked on electric gear. Jackson's are great, they play really nicely. What amp do you use?

The Tele is a Warmoth body and neck, Bill Lawrence pickups.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/NikonAV6/Guitar%20pics/Warmoth%20Tele/Tele-05-1.jpg
Strat - Mexican Fender body, with a Warmoth neck, DiMarzio pickups.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/NikonAV6/Guitar%20pics/Project%20Strat/Strat-05-2.jpg
Budda Superdrive 30 - I love this thing!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/NikonAV6/Guitar%20pics/Amp%20Effects/Buddanew2.jpg

-Jim

Little GTO
07-01-2007, 11:51 PM
Hi Jim,

Nice looking gear! I like the look of the amp. Haven't heard of them but it looks great. Looks like it has pre-drive?? It is tube? If so, what outputs?

My Jackson is pretty much stock, beautiful blue maple, rosewood neck, I think, Seymour Duncans and a Floyd Rose wammy. Amps are an old Gibson Explorer RVT-15, 6BQ5 outputs, about 15 watts, a Peavy Classic 30, same tubes I think, and my Dad's Fender Deluxe Reverb, which is my favourite. It really sounds great playing blues. The neighbourhood thinks so too....and I live on 30 acres..:yes:

I don't have pics of the gear but will try to get some in the next day or so. I also play keyboards...kind of, and have a Roland U-20, Roland JX3P and a Roland electric piano. Also play drums, currently Yamaha Rydeens.

Man, when do I find time for boating?

Cheers

Paul :boat:

SurfGreenTele
07-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Nice! I used to have a Classic 30, great amp - sounded especially sweet after I swapped in a Weber Blue Dog speaker. I plan to get a Deluxe Reverb someday, I love them.

The Budda is a Superdrive 30. 30 watts, all tube, point to point hand wired, 2 channel. 3 12ax7 preamp, 4 EL84 power, and a 5GE7 rectifier. The clean channel is like a slightly darker Vox AC30, the drive is like a hot rodded Marshall - VERY fat sounding. :cool:

Radarman
01-10-2013, 10:39 AM
6'11"?

If you find its not a '75, lemme know.

Craig, do you have a flyer for the 1973 Mark II by chance? This is great, thanks for this copy as well!

..and yes, very old post. I know. that's what is so great with the internet, isn't it?

;)

Chris

Craig S
01-10-2013, 11:29 AM
I'll check this weekend. I may have it on disc if not in the flesh.

Hotboat
01-14-2013, 07:01 PM
I built a '72 a few years back. 340 Chrysler Paragon V-drive. You should add tabs if you haven't already. Makes a world of difference. I took the windshield off an opted for a different look.

Radarman
01-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Nice looking update to that boat! Boy things look tight in the front of the engine. I heard someone could not change the dizzy without pulling the engine and now I see why.

Say, (Hotboat) you dont have the old Mark II windshield and brackets still would you??

Mine is rough right now, and I am trying to decide if I want to put in the time and money to make it presentable and usable. Mine needs stringers, engine and lots of TLC.. so.. Just trying to gather info before I make my choice.

thanks for the pictures!

Chris

Hotboat
01-15-2013, 05:33 PM
I do still have the windshield frame. It is an aluminum frame but is different than what is in these pics. The 72 was different. More like a walk thru windshield. PM if interested.