PDA

View Full Version : Paint Remover????

harry4
06-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Anybody have any great methods to remove a painted boat name off of the stern of my 22? Also has painted numbers on the hull. Thanks in advance.

mrfixxall
06-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Easyoff oven cleaner,spray it on and leave it sit then wipe off..you may have to buff after the lettering is off because the lettering probably bleed into the gel..

zelatore
06-17-2007, 07:40 PM
I've heard of the easy-off trick, but never tried it.

We ususally just wet-sand then polish. Depending on the age, you will likely have a shadow left. If possible, I'll try to design the new name to cover the old shadows as best as possible.

It's usually not too hard to get the old names off.

CHACHI
06-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Easy Off, yellow can. worked excellent on my Minx.
Ken

MOP
06-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Having run a yard I can tell you "Easy Off" is great on all but very light colors. On white it will leave a yellow cast the goes deep into the gel, the only way to get rid of the yellow is with a lot of sanding just hope the gel is thick!

Phil

VetteLT193
06-18-2007, 02:33 PM
Having run a yard I can tell you "Easy Off" is great on all but very light colors. On white it will leave a yellow cast the goes deep into the gel, the only way to get rid of the yellow is with a lot of sanding just hope the gel is thick!
Phil

The yellow cast fades away though if you give it time. Did it on a couple of whitish boats (Viking 45 'vert and Ocean Yachts 42 SS) and it faded on both in a couple weeks without sanding.

vonkamp
06-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Will the Easy Off damage imron paint? I've got some numbers to remove too.
Thanks,
Barry

MOP
06-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks,
Barry

Good possibility would not risk it!

mrfixxall
06-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks,
Barry
No you hurt the imron,its as hard as gel..

harry4
06-18-2007, 09:32 PM
I was wondering that too, I have a Hatteras with a factory painted hull, so I assume it is an imron type paint and if I use the easy off on the old name will it burn into the factory paint? My 22 classic is original gelcoat so I will try the easy off there and see what happens. Maybe try a spot on the Hatteras, I thought about making the new name in a reverse with a banner style background to cover the old name.

mrfixxall
06-18-2007, 11:22 PM
I was wondering that too, I have a Hatteras with a factory painted hull, so I assume it is an imron type paint and if I use the easy off on the old name will it burn into the factory paint? My 22 classic is original gelcoat so I will try the easy off there and see what happens. Maybe try a spot on the Hatteras, I thought about making the new name in a reverse with a banner style background to cover the old name.

Ive spilled brake fluid on a test piece on perpose and left it over night and didnt harm it, imron is like concrete when it cures...

harry4
06-19-2007, 05:05 PM
The yellow cast fades away though if you give it time. Did it on a couple of whitish boats (Viking 45 'vert and Ocean Yachts 42 SS) and it faded on both in a couple weeks without sanding.

I hope you are right because the easy off worked really well and now I have some pretty nice yellow shadows on the white hull, the green stripe looks great with no shadow. I'll give it a few weeks, I wonder if some of those oxigenating products might work on the yellow. If anyone else going to try this, I kind of winged it, and at first I didn't have any water available, on the second spot I hit the easy off quickly with a wet towel and the yellow is half that as the first spot.

smokediver
06-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks,
Barry
Ummm ... put brake fluid on your finger and then try easy off and see which one you rinse off first ! I wouldn't use it on paint ... look what varnish remover does to paint versus gel ... usually , painted names and numbers are put on with cheaper uncatalyzed paint . I bet you could compound it off with a polisher ... imron is tough , but it bubbles when it gets varnish remover on it and that is a little more caustic than easy off but not much ...

vonkamp
06-19-2007, 09:32 PM
I bet you could compound it off with a polisher

Good idea! I will try that first:yes:.