PDA

View Full Version : One-piece stainless riser/exhaust/extractor's query.

sub-bass
06-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Friends, mechanics and general know-it-alls - can I get some advice on pro's and con's of the following set of exhaust available in Australia. Stainless-steel one pieces riser/manifold/extractor's. please see the link provided and give me some of your thoughts.

I have a '96 Classic 22, Merc / chev 7.4lt, Rochester, Power steering set-up which is stock, goes well and is very clean with 180 hrs on original exhaust - first 80 hrs in freshwater. My use is saltwater mainly and I do 2-3 days a week in the summer, 2 dyas a fortnight in winter, the engine is flushed comletely for at least 6 minutes after EVERY use. I'm running 93 octane unleaded which is VERY expensive down here (AUD $1.40 per litre), which is AUD$5.40/gallon. A week-end will run me around AUD$250 if we do 100 miles or so with say 10 ski runs.

Many Thanks

Gerrard

LINK http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130055408454&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=130124435789&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

f_inscreenname
06-17-2007, 06:20 AM
I have owned a set up until a week ago. I had to buy them being no one made a set for a Chrysler small block.
They are nice but have a couple draw backs. The main thing is the company is on the other side of the world. You will pay for them to be shipped to you and its not cheap. It also takes weeks. They also have a great warrentee.......but again they do not pay for shipping. I had to return mine for work (small crack in the outside case) before I sold them. It cost almost $400.00 to have them shipped there and back.
My advice is to by something a little more local.

BUIZILLA
06-17-2007, 06:22 AM
I'm having a little problem with the 30% fuel savings claim...

pmreed
06-17-2007, 06:30 AM
sub-bass, unless your big block is modified, I would suggest you consider using regular unleaded 87-89 octane in your motor. I have a 502 MPI (8.2lt) and have run 87 since day one. It is, if fact, what Mercury recommends for my motor, and what I think they recommend for yours. That could be a $$$ savings for you:)

Phil

MOP
06-17-2007, 07:03 AM
That exhaust system is 100% stainless where as unless you go to very expensive headers you get aluminum manifolds stainless risers with all US name brands. Them being made where you live is another major plus, I think you would be nuts to order from the states when you have such a high quality item in your back yard. By the way heed the octane suggestion, more is not always better in many cases it just slows you down. There have been several good posts up here with some great info from some knowledgeable people, do a search you will find it interesting!

Phil

sub-bass
06-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Thanks folks for all the suggestioins. An octane change I can easily welcome and sort of thought that was the case anyway, so that's money saved right there. Yeah, I was thinking that the local product might be well worth it but wasn't sure of the claims. No huge shipping costs for me as I live in the state north of where they are made, sorry for the poor soul who paid all the crazy shipping costs - if it's any consolation - I'll take you out for a day on our harbour (yes, right out front of the Opera House and under the Harbour Bridge free of charge should you ever make it down here..
Thanks for the advice folks, keep it coming.

G

f_inscreenname
06-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Check out eBay for the aluminum GLM's. I ran my set for the first time today. One word, "nice". http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alum-Hi-Perf-Mercruiser-Exhaust-Manifold-Chevy-454-502_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31285QQihZ007QQitem Z170121448277