PDA

View Full Version : Eufaula 9 - 2007 Labor Day Weekend Donzi Event

Forrest
06-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Once again, the members of SEADOGs will be presenting the longest running Donzi event in the South: Eufaula 9 over this up coming Labor Day Weekend.

Don't miss this opportunity to bring your Donzi to the great event located on beautiful Lake Eufaula (officially Lake Walter F. George (http://www.sam.usace.army.mil/op/rec/wfg/)) and meet with your good friends and family, and have a great time on this beautiful 84 mile long lake.

WHEN: Arrive Friday afternoon/evening, August 31, leave Monday, September 2, 2007

WHERE: Like last year, this year's the event will be headquartered at Lakepoint State Park and Resort (http://www.alapark.com/parks/park.cfm?parkid=18) located about 8 miles north of Eufaula, Alabama; but there has been a change in lodging since last year. We were not able to reserved any rooms at the Lodge this year due to the fact that the Lodge is in the process of being renovated. However, a number of Eufaula 9 attendees have already rented all the waterfront cabin at Lakepoint prior to leaving last years event. Some cabins have as many as four bedrooms. Emmo, rented the last available cabin a few days ago. His cabin is actually a small four-bedroom waterfront house. I know that he will be looking for a few cabin-mates for that weekend. I'm not sure who all rented the other cabins, but they may need be looking for room mates as well.

Other places to stay are assorted motels in Eufaula, Alabama, as well as George T. Bagby State Park and Lodge (http://gastateparks.org/info/georgetb/) on the Georgia side of the lake near the dam. Though smaller than Lakepoint State Park, and with tighter parking than Lakepoint, I do highly recommend George T. Bagby as an alternative place to lodge. George T. Bagby's Lodge has been fully renovated and located a a beautiful setting on the lake with a marina, campground, restaurant, golf course, and beach.

Like last year, this year, we plan on hosting a Sunday night cookout / Donzi party at our house on the lake, which is located on the main lake near the "Big Island" at Pataula Creek on the Georgia side, about 12 miles north of George T. Bagby and 22 miles south of Lakepoint by road . This year we will not be doing the Saturday backyard cookout at our house these since I predict that the lake level will be too low for safe mooring, docking, or rafting there. We may do it elsewhere accessable by water. Unless we get a lot of rain, I predict the lake level to be about two feet lower than it was last year at the same time. For comparison, the lake level during last year's Eufaula 8 event was 187.75' above mean sea level. With no significant rainfall, I predict the lake lever to be under 186' AMSL. The following link is the US Army Corp official prediction for four weeks out:

http://water.sam.usace.army.mil/georfc.htm

As always, we look forward to seeing you there. All "Don" boats, as well as all past and new attendees are always welcome . . .

BigGrizzly
07-01-2007, 09:31 AM
As you remember we are in. I have already booked the lake front cottage. I do like this event. If someone wants to try a prop let me know ahead of time, because I am tired of carrying 500 pounds of props for ballast and just in case some one wants to.

Jamesbon
07-08-2007, 08:45 PM
I haven't even unpacked or washed the 22 after 550 miles of driving home from ATL, but with that said, we're in! :eek!:

can't wait to see everyone...:yes:

Budmann
07-09-2007, 05:53 PM
We are looking hard at this one!! Never been, but would like to get the hell out of Florida for a weekend!:yes::yes::yes::yes:

Who all is going???

ChromeGorilla
07-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Looking like our schedule for sailing to India may shift slightly and I'll have opportunity to shift my schedule 2 weeks to the right if I choose so...... this will allow a possible Gorilla @ Mrs. Gorilla sighting at Eufala this year..... hmmmm... we may just go.

ChromeGorilla
07-09-2007, 06:32 PM
:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

Asshat....:wink:

Hey MP..you gots a PM ......

BigGrizzly
07-09-2007, 07:06 PM
This is always a relaxed good time. and the Salt water guys don't have to flush out their boats except for the spilled beer.

Mr X
07-09-2007, 09:26 PM
We booked our lakeside 2 bedroom 10 months ago.....it gets better every year! We are bringing 2 people from the factory with us!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23687&d=1157411898

BUIZILLA
07-09-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm a SERIOUSLY thinkin' about this deal..... never been there... coach and the 18.... maybe a *southern meeting of the minds* party ??

Jamesbon
07-09-2007, 10:35 PM
For those of you who "are thinking about it," Make it happen, if you can, period.

It's perfect for Donzi's of all sizes!

C u there!

Forrest
07-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Bring it on! We look forward to seeing each and every one of you.
As you know from reading above, we didn't reserve any rooms this year like we ususally do for this event. This was mostly because the Lakepoint Lodge is under rennovation and they are not accepting reservations at this time; however, rooms should be available at George T. Bagby State Park and Lodge located on the lake on the Georgia side. If you want to go to Eufaula 9, you need to book your room now before they are all gone. You can alway cancel at the last minute and get your money back if you find that you can't attend. Bagby is very nice, maybe even nicer than Lakepoint, but their lodge has less rooms than Lakepoint's lodge, so for that reason, the rooms at Bagby may go quickly. Also, additional lodging can be found at various motels in the City of Eufaula, Alabama. This year, we may be spread out, but we always get together and always have a great time.

Don't forget, "Allie" the Eufaula Donzi event mascot says, "You better be there!"
http://www.donzi.net/photopost/data/598/DSC_4860.JPG
Allie was made possible by thanks to a generous gift from The Ted and Cathy Foundation.

Mr X
07-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Looks like you have been feeding Allie well!!
Must be that delicious homemade Barbeque!!!

BUIZILLA
07-10-2007, 05:53 PM
how far is the Lakepoint camping area from the marina facilities/boat ramp??

Forrest
07-11-2007, 04:38 PM
The Lakepoint property is huge, but it just so happens that the camping area is very close to the marina - my guess is about 1/2 mile between the two areas. Parking is never a problem at the marina and ramp, no matter how big of a rig you may have.

Budmann
07-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Could I trouble someone to post websites or phone numbers to the local hotels.

Thanks in advance...

Bud

Forrest
07-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Where is Big Green ZX when you need him!

Bill is a local in Eufaula and I bet you he can hook you up with some numbers of non-hourly rate motels there.

BigGrizzly
07-14-2007, 10:34 AM
You can tru Lake point for a cabin too. They may still have some.

Greg K
07-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Here's Link to the Resort (http://www.alapark.com/parks/park.cfm?parkid=18)
Look on the right panel for other info under Lakepoint.

And an area hotel/motel Link (http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-473771-eufaula_hotels-i;_ylt=AigmPnUXzAbDLZcvXQTCkgLiphQB)

Could I trouble someone to post websites or phone numbers to the local hotels.
Thanks in advance...
Bud

Budmann
07-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Thanks Greg!! You goin??

Greg K
07-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Your welcome...haven't made plans yet, I'll know better in a few weeks.

Forrest
07-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Unless someone has canceled, I think Emmo got the last cabin, but it's always worth making a phone call to find out for sure. Also, Emmo may be looking for a roommate for those who don't mind splitting a cabin.

Last Tango
07-25-2007, 08:38 AM
... and I will be bringing the 2007 SEADOG T-shirts for sale.

Mr X
08-02-2007, 10:06 AM
We just had to cancell :(
There is a lakeside waterfront 2 bedroom cottage up for grabs right now!
Better call fast!

Forrest
08-06-2007, 11:32 AM
We just had to cancell :(
There is a lakeside waterfront 2 bedroom cottage up for grabs right now!
Better call fast!

Ted, that's too bad. We're sure going to miss you guys this year. You and Cathy always make the event more fun. Alli, misses you guys, too. We will look for you all to be there next year for the 10th anniversary event.

Did anyone here pick up Mr. X's cottage at Lakepoint?

VetteLT193
08-06-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm working on talking my wife into going... and also my brother.

BigGrizzly
08-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Ted That is the second time I got high as a kite tosting you with the other guys, you WILL be missed!!!

Forrest
08-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Ginny and I will be heading to the lake this weekend to scope out the situation with the lake's water level. Due the the South's drought conditions this year, the water level is already about one-foot lower that it was last year at this time. The low lake-level will preclude us having the Saturday picnic at our house. In fact, I'm hoping that the water level is at least high enough so I can to tie my Magnum off to the outside of my dock. Most of the lake is deep, but as always it is best to stay in the channel and approach the beaching areas with caution.

We plan on having some sort of picnic on Saturday, probably at the Big Island (maps will be provided), but we are still in the planning stages. We will, however, have the Sunday night farewell dinner and party at out house again. As for daily activities, such as a Donzi cruise to somewhere or what ever, as usual, we will provide some suggestions and with a command decision by the Supreme Seadog, we will make it happen.

We sure look forward to seeing everyone who is able to attend for what is always a great time.

I'll report back here next week when we return from the scouting trip to the lake. At that time we will be asking for a roll call in order to sure up the plans.

Last Tango
08-16-2007, 10:38 AM
I just called the resort to get some additional scoop. The restaurant at the main building is closed for the rennovations this year. However, and much better, the restaurant at the marina is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in order to pick up the slack. The marina building is right next to our waterfront cottages. It also has "supplies".
The waterfront cottages have everything we need for food service such as kitchen, dinnerware, etc. If you want to bring your own food for breakfast and such, you are free to do so.
Make your own bed. The maids will change out the towels daily. Everything else is up to you unless you are staying more that 4 days.
I will be arriving Friday afternoon sometime. We have a one bedroom waterfront cabin. Those are on the smaller ones on the ends.
For the beach party on Saturday afternoon, be sure to bring your hats, sunblock, drinks food/snacks, and chairs, though most of us will be in the water wading with "Ally." The water is very pleasant but has with a fine sand in it. Consequently, anything white that you wear in the water will be beige, even after you wash it.
There are no bathroom facilities on the picnic island. Plan accordingly. We normally put in and pull out each day. There is a huge parking area right in front of our cabins.
Sunday brunch will be at the "other" resort. It is always popular, it is always crowded, and it is always AWESOME.

BigGrizzly
08-19-2007, 05:34 PM
The guys that want to test props let me know what you are currently running, you cak post it or call me in an evening at 706-216-8194. Give me a heads up becausr I will not bring 500 pounds of prop just in case.

Budmann
08-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Trying to get the boat runnin right!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Doesn't look good for this, however, I have found yet another guy that is also supposed to be good.

Man I'm getting tired of this!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Forrest
08-20-2007, 04:59 PM
First off, thank you Mark for providing that important additional information.

Budman, bring it on! We'll get the Grizz to look at it!

OK, we're back from the weekend scouting trip. As we thought, the water level is lower than usual, but not as low as some of the other lakes in the South. It is, however, too low for me or anyone else to dock in front of our house. For that reason, I too will be pulling in and out at the boat ramp daily as well. The only thing that I could get in an out of our dock was the old pontoon boat. On the other hand, I am pleased to report that we found a couple spots that would work well for the Saturday afternoon picnic. Both locations are are Army Corps properties near the Big Island, have deep water with easy beaching, picnic tables, grills, and rest rooms.

The first location, is the picnic area beach area at George T. Bagby State Park. We've already tried out this one during the Eufaula IV event and it worked well. That was the time and place, now five years ago, we had the Mad Poodle up here leading the way though the slalom course, Big Grizz had a minor rod and block problem, and we let Farmer Tx take over the cooking which turned out to be a smart move. For those who still can't remember, can you remember the sound of WA-LO firing off in the parking lot at 3:00 AM? Yep that was the one! Anyway, that location rates high on the list.

The other location is just north of the Big Island on the Alabama side at White Oak. This is a smaller picnic area than at Bagby, but it has all the same good features, and my be closer to the Big Island than is Bagby. We will confer with the Supreme SEADOG during the event and make an executive decision at that time.

Again, we will have the farewell get together dinner at our house on Sunday evening. The smoker will be in use. This will be a drive-your-land-based-vehicle-to event so you don't have to worry about running aground.

Now, at this time, so we can start doing some head-count planning, please post on this thread, PM, or email me if you are attending, and also let us know the number in your party. If you are on the fence, please let us know anyway.

Remember, this event is open to all Donzi.net members.

The Eufaula Labor Day weekend event is always a great time. The SEADOGS looks forward to seeing all the past Eufaula event attendees, and looks especially forward to meeting all the new Eufaula Donzi event attendees as well. So if you haven't already, make a plan to be there!

Last Tango
08-22-2007, 10:15 PM
We will be 3, arriving Friday afternoon.

BigGrizzly
08-23-2007, 09:01 AM
Will arrive Friday afternoon also. we have 2 at this point.

Budmann
08-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Great news!!!!!!!!!! Got the carb. on today, and will test it tomorrow morning!!! If all goes well, I should have nothing stopping me but the drive!:wink::wink::wink::wink:

Spoke to Zilla today and he is on the fence. I told him he could ride with me and not have to bring the boat, sooooo he now has a plan B!!!Also, we need to get Poodle on this gig to!!:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Bud

Forrest
08-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Great news! Depending on which way you go, the drive is easy once you get out of the Tampa Bay/Sun Coast area . . . and it gets real easy if you take US27 north to GA SR39 north then US84 west in to Eufaula. Lakepoint is about 10 miles north of Eufaula on US431.

Amen to having the Poodle up up for the event. The Poodle showing up would easily make him this year's VIP. Last year we had AOTH chairman, Scott Boldts, and Mr X.

Budmann
08-24-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek!::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

When is everyone arriving?? Wondering if I should come up Thur night or just leave early Friday. Room booked Lakeside, so I will see everyone Friday.

Bud

BigGrizzly
08-24-2007, 07:18 PM
Guys who want to try props better chime in I won't be bringing a truck load just what we need to try. Let me know!!! Bud we usually do dinner on Friday night we arrivel on Friday after noon or come in late Thursday and boat Friday too.

Budmann
08-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks Randy! Hey i would like to try a 4 blade 23' to see how it does with my new motor. I have a 383 Stroker motor. Not sure of the h.p. yet, but I will be picking your brain next weekend as to how and what I need to make my baby "run like the wind"!!:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

I am presently running a 3 blade TURBO 1 24 pitch I got from Poodle.

Bud

BigGrizzly
08-24-2007, 07:26 PM
I think I have one and will bring some stuff for you.

Budmann
08-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Looking forward to a great weekend with everyone!!!

Bud

Forrest
08-27-2007, 09:14 AM
Great new Budmann! I'll put you on the list.

So far, these groups have responded to the call:

Budmann
Big Grizzly
Last Tango
Emmo
VetteLT193
Jamesbon

I'm sure that there are more who are plan to attend. We need to hear from you soon.

Ginny and I will be going to the Lake on Wednesday to buy the supplies and get everything ready and for that reason, we will not have Internet access after Wednesday morning. We really need to know if you are coming to Eufaula 9 before Wednesday.

Also, I will have my cell phone while at the Lake for last minute contact.

We look forward to seeing everyone there, and it should be another great Eufaula Donzi event.

Budmann
08-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Hey everyone!! Since we are going to be together for 4 days, I thought I would whip a big patch of Budman Chili for dinner one night. So find your favorite dippin bread and step up to the CHILI BOWL!!!

Bud

Forrest
08-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Bring it on, it will be eaten. We will be having the traditional Saturday afternoon cookout at a place we can pull up to by boat. On Sunday night, Ginny and I will host the farewell dinner at our place on the lake.

We're heading to the lake now. If you need to contact me, call me on my cell phone. The number is posted above.

BigGrizzly
08-29-2007, 06:34 PM
We have a strange situation, I have a double cabin on the lake but I have only the wife and boat, we could use some company to share the cost. 706-216-8194, or cell before 7:00 770-318-1136

Budmann
08-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Grizz, I have the same problem!! Wonder if one of us could cancel and bunk with each other! (nothing kinky):):):):)

200.00 a night is going to get pretty expensive. I thought Jamsbod or Buizilla were going to need a place, but as of now they have not confirmed.

Bud

Emmo
08-30-2007, 09:44 AM
I ended up with a 4 BR chalet also. I invited John from last year to occupy one BR and Robert, Leah and their daughter (don't get any ideas, she's like twelve or something) to occupy the other half of the chalet. Unbeknownst to me, John invited his girlfriend. Which gives me six pairs of buttocks and only five seats:eek!:

Can anyone take 2 passengers that will pay for half the gas? Even if it is in a fire-breathing and blown 502 powered Critter?

Also, Big Grizz- The new 4 bedroom chalets can be split into 2 rentable units- they are duplexes. The half is only 90 per night.

BigGrizzly
08-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Bud Mine id on the lake by the ramps and is new. I would love to split it with you. Call 770-318-1136 asap Mine may be a better keeper and next to Mark's.

VetteLT193
08-30-2007, 03:25 PM
My brother and I are still in the gray area. My boat is out for sure, as I have not installed the new shifter yet.

My brother's 22 was supposed to be done forever ago and keeps getting pushed back. It was supposed to be done (again) yesterday but no word as of now.

This might become a virgin trip with the new engine. I hope people are friendly enough if we need a tow if something happens:eek!:

BigGrizzly
08-31-2007, 08:29 AM
We have a special thing at this event when someone breaks down we takes the girls back and return about 4 or 5 houres later to pick up the guys and maybe the boat.:wink:

Last Tango
09-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Heather, Joshua (aka Bubba), and I are home safe. We had an awesome weekend!
What a totally wonderful weekend of friends and boating!
First and foremost, THANK YOU Forrest and Jenny for the spectacular hosting of this event! The picnic on Saturday afternoon at the park on the water, and the Saturday night feast at your home was both delicious and relaxing. So many nice people with which to spend the evening. The pulled pork, fresh corn-on-the-cob, chocolate cake with the "Welcome SEADOGS" icing, the stars above, and Budmann and Jo-Deye's chilli recipe were just so excellent!
One barrelback Classic 18 (Emmo)
One modern Classic 22 (Budmann)
One fire-breathing Criterion (Big Grizzly)
One end-of-the-era 22ZX (Last Tango)
One Aronow Edition 22 Classic
One Magnum (Forrest)
One 22 Checkmate
One Yamaha jet ski
One box full (now well depleted) of brand spanking new SEADOG T-shirts.
Stunning accommodations in the new waterfront cottages at the Lakepoint Resort State Park (Alabama).
Thanks John and Shelby for riding with us all weekend. It made things so much more pleasant to have your company.

As I checked out this morning, I made my reservation and placed my deposit for cottage C30 for Labor Day weekend 2008.

Y'all come back now!

BigGrizzly
09-04-2007, 10:31 AM
I have also reserved a lake front cabin for next year. So lets get this shoe on the road!!!

Budmann
09-04-2007, 04:08 PM
AWESOME PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek!::eek!:

Will be there next year for sure!!

Bud

Emmo
09-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Forrest and Jenny, again are the heroes! Awesome chow for lunch on Saturday and Sunday supper. Forrest's Q puts any restaurant to shame.

Thanks to Mark for taking two extra passengers.

Although my 4 BR/2BR cabin was a dump compared to the cottages, it is a $100/day cheaper than the cottages on the lake. It is also on a nice pond and overlooks the golf course, has the only reliable coverage for Verizon broadband and T-Mobile phone service and gets a nice breeze since it is on top of a hill. I think I will "rough it" up there again next year.

I think John is going to buy Forrest's X, so maybe we will have two boats from the Alabama gang next year.

Small but good crowd! The rain did not really bother us and the overcast and temps in the 80's were a real treat.

Thanks to everyone that came.

Forrest
09-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Even though it was one out smallest gatherings with just 24 fellow Donzi enthusiasts, we had just as much fun as ever as we have had any past Eufaula event.

Thank you to all who made Eufaula 9 a great success.

Be sure to mark your calendar for next year to attend as we plan to make the 10th Anniversary Eufaula Labor Day Weekend Donzi event bigger and better than ever!

BigGrizzly
09-05-2007, 06:01 PM
As usual Forrest and Ginny made us feel welcome. This is one of the oldest events on Donzi net. Every year it is something different on the agenda. I surprised a little girl named Shela by pulling up to Emmo and asking if she wanted a ride. She couldn't get in fast enough. She smiled all the time after that and drew me a beautiful Unicorn. This girl could draw just about anything, she was a pleasure to have as a passenger. Thank you everybody, you all are what makes an event an event to remember.

Forrest
09-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Thank you Scott and we look forward to seeing you next year at Eufaula X!

BigGrizzly
09-07-2007, 05:13 PM
BTW I got my conformation in the mail yesterday!!!!:):)

Last Tango
09-11-2007, 11:17 AM
I got my confirmation in the mail the other day, as well. Heather and Joshua and I are already looking forward to next year.
Maybe we should do a T-shirt for that event with a big "X" on it (to symbolize the 10th event). Maybe make it something fun like "X-Rated" and get folks to bring their X-18's

Last Tango
09-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Also, I had the 22ZX repaired. It seems that in all that fiddling around trying to get the trim tabs to do the right thing, I burned up the pump. New pump, and they swear they now have it set up correctly.