PDA

View Full Version : Bravo II or Bravo III

fegettes
06-13-2007, 12:42 PM
I am looking at bumping the power up in my Donzi Sport to about 450HP with a 383. And my current drive is an Alpha Gen II. My mechanic recommended upgrading to a Bravo II. My question is what about the performance, Pluses and Minuses, of the Bravo III, and would it be better to go with this drive versus the Bravo II? And if upgrading to the Bravo II, are there any recommended gear ratios for the this drive?

Thanks for your response.

Steve

pmreed
06-13-2007, 01:55 PM
We need more information. Exactly what model Donzi do you have. 450 HP is too much HP to expect an Alpha to hold up for long. If your looking for speed, the Bravo is the way to go. The Bravo 3 is great for cruisers and heavy boats, but not really a performance drive.
Tell us more.

Phil

MOP
06-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Bravo II is for heavier boats, a Bravo III will give you to much stern lift. get a bravo I or a Bravo X bothe will do the job wat better.

Phil

fegettes
06-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks Phil and Phil.

The 23' Donzi Sport I am sure is heavier than the typical 22' Classic, but, I wouldn't think it was that much heavier. I agree, the Alpha will not be enough Drive for longevity. And I take it the Bravo I or II is the direction I should go, leaning towards the Bravo I.

I guess you don't see too many Deck Boats keeping up with the rest of the Classics.

Thanks.

Steve

glashole
06-13-2007, 04:07 PM
go with the bravo 1

if I remember correctly the bravo 2 is a signifigantly bigger drive and may not work the best for your application

Donziweasel
06-13-2007, 06:00 PM
I agree, the Bravo One is the way to go. Rated by Mercruiser for 600 ponies, up to 100 mph. Bravo 2 too big and designed for big heavy boats up to 400 hp (gear ratios start at 1.81 and go up to 2.20 from there to give you an idea of how big a boat these were designed for). Bravo 3 (especially the Bravo 3 X) is a great drive, but has twin counter rotating props, and believe is or not is only rated for 525 hp at 65 mph (once again a Mercruiser rating, not mine, so don't kill the messenger and it has the same gear ratios as Bravo 2). Bravo 1 way to go, especially the Bravo 1 X. Just my 2 cents.

Formula Jr
06-13-2007, 06:48 PM
That's a very odd boat to put a 383 in...

:eek!:

I think your Alpha II will be fine if you get your two props - the 17" for skiing and the 26" stainless solid hub for speed and slow holeshots. Its sort of a slight tri-hull design if I remember correctly. There isn't much info in the way of anyone putting a lot of power in one these and how they will handle or hold together at higher speeds.

I applaud the total weirdness of it though: a kick ass Donzi deck boat!

May I suggest a name? "The Silk Purse."

Pismo
06-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Bravo I, no question.

pmreed
06-13-2007, 07:28 PM
The z23 can be a performance boat. There's one in Jacksonville with a whippled scorpion in front of a Bravo...faster than most of the boats on this forum:eek!:

Phil

fegettes
06-14-2007, 04:26 AM
Okay, Bravo I it will be.
I want to say Thanks for the valuable responses here. It is well appreciated, especially when I am about to sink some "MORE" money into my boat and I am in question on which way to go. I pose the question to this valuable board of experienced Donzi enthusiasts, and the answer is clear.
Again Thanks.
Steve

I applaud the total weirdness of it though: a kick ass Donzi deck boat!

Hmmmm. Yeah.
Next time you see a Donzi Deck Boat and see some one is sipping on a freshly blended Margarita, and you smirk, and think of how you will have to stop and wait for the Deck Boat to catch up, ..... you might be surprised.