PDA

View Full Version : Trim sensor problem

cgentile
06-13-2007, 11:07 AM
I was having a problem with my trim gauge after getting it back from storage. Stuck in the up position. I had this problem once before so decided to see if the fix would be the same.

After inspecting the plate where the metal brushes make contact, on that little plastic disk.
Well on closer inspection the grease from the jackets to lube the gear futher in had gummed up the contacts and basically cause it to fail.
So after cleaning the grease off the disk and the contacts the gauge once again works fine.

I figured if it was wired properly and the right clamps to hold the wiring in place, it should not be getting pinched.
So worth inspecting this if you are having trim reading problems.

MOP
06-13-2007, 11:44 AM
The grease is in there to protect it, without it will go bad. It should be slobbered full of dielectric grease.

Phil

cgentile
06-13-2007, 03:43 PM
I left quit a bit of grease behind for sure thanks, but it was so caked it seem to be affecting its operation. But i will for sure check it again to make sure it is staying coated.
All the gearing and spline where well coated... Maybe my contact brushes are getting worn out and old... it s a 94

Thanks for the insite...

c:canada:

cgentile
06-13-2007, 03:57 PM
I left quite a bit of grease behind for sure thanks, but it was so caked it seem to be affecting its operation. But i will for sure check it again to make sure it is staying coated.
All the gearing and spline where well coated... Maybe my contact brushes are getting worn out and old... it s a 94

Thanks for the insite...

c:canada:

MOP
06-13-2007, 07:56 PM
I have a graphite dielectric grease that is made for moving contacts of this type, it is better then the stuff most OEM's use. The trick is to pull the covers off once a season clean and re grease that will extend the the life of the senders dramaticly.

Phil