PDA

View Full Version : Big Green Egg Update

2biguns
06-12-2007, 08:58 PM
I'm now the proud owner of a new, large Big Green Egg. Amy "surprised" me this morning for my birthday (#46) with a bag of charcoal, an electric lighter, a bag of drug rub spices and the grill accessory box. :happy_bi: She said she was sorry but no delivery until next week so they just loaded it in the back of her Yukon and I had to figure out how to get it around the house and up to the back patio.
The freaking thing weighs at least 150 pounds and came in a large cardboard box with no useable handles. I came home this afternoon and figured out how to wrestle it into a wheel barrow then hauled it around the house.
Turns out it comes totally disassembled, which in a way is a good thing because I was able to learn how it is put together and now have a better understanding of the outstanding quality that goes into this cooker.
My first impression upon getting the box wrestled to the ground, opened and finally unloaded was SON OF A B*TCH--it made me think you needed a freaking engineering degree to figure out what goes where and how it all fits.
You will note the well-placed large vodka drink prominently displayed among my other tools:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29519&stc=1&d=1181700356
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29520&stc=1&d=1181700356
After a few sips and thankfully a slight breeze on this lovely 95 degree Alabama day, the instructions actually made perfect sense and the project eventually came together nicely.
What is most impressive is the fact that the unit is a ceramic "egg" exterior with a separate ceramic firebox and liner topped by a porcelin grate. One of the options is a ceramic drip pan which converts it into an indirect/convection heating device for long, slow cooking. Will have to buy that next.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29521&stc=1&d=1181700356
Brouchure claims you can cook at any temperature between 200 degrees and 750 degrees. There is a small door in the bottom and a cast iron top that allows you to control the amount of oxygen that gets in
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29523&stc=1&d=1181700356
Supposedly the air control is so exact that a 20 pound bag of lump charcoal can last up to six months. For steaks, you heat it up to 650, add wood to the coals for smoke, sear the meat on both sides and cook to desired doneness. Then close up all the doors and smother the fire and reuse wood again the next time. Amy also gave me an electric starter shaped to fit the egg. Plug it up and 7 minutes later the fire is going.
I've got a local lawyer friend who is also a cattle rancher on the Red River just south of Hollis, Oklahoma in the panhandle. He and his partner have umpteen thousand acres bordering the river that grows scrub brush and mesquite trees. He keeps a load of mesquite in his barn and hauls a load back in his horse trailer whenever he comes home from the ranch. My first meal is going to be mesquite grilled something. Will give update upon consumption.
I love well-built stuff and this is without a doubt the best constructed and designed grill/smoker I have ever seen. Lifetime guarantee on all ceramics if damaged in normal use. Of course, knocking it over and causing it to crack is probably not covered.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29522&stc=1&d=1181700356
If anyone happens to venture through North Alabama, the steaks are on me!
PS: I love my wife:)

tmdog
06-13-2007, 12:39 PM
2Big---Thanks for the interesting post. Love to take you up on that invite but. Really would consider a GE for my next buy. Nice pool area.:yes:

2biguns
06-13-2007, 03:38 PM
It appears that they are manufactured in TUCKER, GEORGIA. You should sneak over and see if they have demos for sale. I understand that at times they will sponsor cook offs and then sell the used grills at a discount.

2biguns
06-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Having cooked on the grill twice, I can give a preliminary report of the results:
WOW
I've only really tested it as a grill and cooked fish (mahi mahi) and thick-cut center loin pork chops, both with mesquite wood.
The fish was done in a hurry and I had no idea what I was doing. Amy gave me an electric starter that took some getting used to but I finally got things going, got the fire up to 400 and the fish turned out great.
Night number 2 was the pork chops and after talking to some other BGE owners, I went about the fire starting differently. The key apparently is using the electric starter for 8 minutes to get things hot then opening the top and bottom vents, close the top and go get a drink and leave it alone for a while. By the time I got back it was pushing 600 degrees.
Added my mesquite, put the chops on the hot fire and cooked 2 minutes a side to sear. Then shut down the vents to bring down the temp and basically slow roasted them until done. Did not have a meat thermometer which will help in deciding doneness (Amy has to have meat BURNED) so I overcooked mine a little bit but it still was the juiciest pork shop this side of Patti's in Grand Rivers, KY.
When the lid is shut, the grill is sealed off completely. Moisture is all contained inside so the food stays moist. Did not have to use much mesquite and the lump charcoal we use lasts forever. I expect to be able to cook at least 2 more times on the same charcoal I started with.
Can't wait to slow cook something. I've ordered some different woods (adler, pecan, oak, apple and some others) that should be fun to try. Next experiment will be an apple smoked turkey. Tonight will be mesquite filets:yes: