PDA

View Full Version : Re-filling halon fire supression / extinguishers

Jamesbon
06-12-2007, 07:54 PM
One more easy one for ya. Where do I get my halon fire suppression tank re-filled? You know, the one mounted on the firewall in the engine compartment. I have a hand held one in there now, but who wants to reach in there with a blaze burning :bonk:

Thanks again!

MOP
06-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Nate moat all refillers are private concerns, call you local FD they will know of one close to you.

Phil

zelatore
06-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Heck, just grab the yellow pages and look under fire extinguishers. You'll probably turn up half a dozen companies that can do the trick. It's pretty cheap, and almost all of them do it. Some will even come to you.

Don

RickR
06-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Nate
Halon is not available anymore.
My local fire extinguisher guy would not refill mine with the current product.

zelatore
06-13-2007, 09:43 AM
A few years ago I went through that. Seems like the switched to another product called 'hallatron' or something. No problems, the guy just said 'you know, we can't use halon anymore...' and that was about it.

I haven't had an actual halon bottle refilled in a while now, but I didn't think it was an issue. There should be plenty of companies to try - give a few a call to see what they say.

Don

RickSE
06-13-2007, 09:57 AM
I thought reclaimed halon was OK but I'm not sure if you can have a bottle refilled, may have to buy new.

RedDog
06-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Nate
Halon is not available anymore.
My local fire extinguisher guy would not refill mine with the current product.

yep - halon is an ozone depleting gas that hasn't been manufactured for some time. I guess other substitute gases are used now

rms
06-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Are you sure you need the active ingredient and not just the dispersal agent? This spring my guage read no pressure, but shaking the extinguisher I could tell the 'stuff' was still in there. Took it to a local extinguisher guy, he weighed it to determine the 'halon' was still in there, and recharged it with nitrogen for $10. Bob

smokediver
06-14-2007, 01:13 PM
halon has been replaced with a number of different products ... FM200 being a pretty popular choice ...

cigarette30
06-30-2007, 09:41 PM
Contact "Fireboy" (web site), they will give you instructions to send it to them, 1/2 the cost of new. They are the only ones.