PDA

View Full Version : Shifter cable

HallJ
06-12-2007, 03:49 PM
I've replaced my Alpha on my 88 Minx with an Arneson/standoff box setup. It now has a velvet drive transmission. I need a little help getting the right shifter cable setup. I curently have the cable from the shifter back to the bracket that attaches to the exhaust manifold bracket(standard alpha setup). I need to get from the exhaust manifold bracket to the velvet drive. will something from a TRS setup work? Do I make a cable that goes directly from the shifter to the Velvet drive, or can use the the original Mercruiser bracket on the exhaust manifold and work from there?

Thanks,

Jeff

MOP
06-12-2007, 08:09 PM
With the tranny you only use (1) cable direct to the tranny, you need to do a little measuring. Tranny lever to just inside transom from there the corner of gunnel and transom then up to the shifter you need to add about 8-10 inches for each bend so they run smooth a little extra never hurts. You are way ahead of the game using a Morse 33C cable with the threaded tips!!!

Phil

superhatz
06-13-2007, 01:46 AM
You need a 'vette cable......:wink:

DONZI
06-13-2007, 05:57 AM
Congrat's on accomplishing the conversion. :smash:
It would be great to see some pics. and hear any hurdles you had to overcome. Motor mounts/location ? Prop adapter ? etc..
Of course we are going to need performance trial updates also.
Yes, we ask for a lot here.:)

HallJ
06-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks guys,

Here are some pics of the install. The engine moved forward 1.75 inches and down about 1.5 inches. I calculated the longitudinal CG before I took it apart.
I'll re calculate, after everything is done.

Jeff

gcarter
06-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Jeff, that looks really ambitious, but it looks great!! :eek!::eek!:

MOP
06-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Curiosity is getting the best of me! What are you running for power?

HallJ
06-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Curiosity is getting the best of me! What are you running for power?

Nothing to crazy, A tree fity with a factory roller setup and Vortec heads.
I used a 320 EFI lower manifold and a custom upper. I am using GM speed/density EFI from a 91' Vette, It uses the under hood ECM.

With the Mercruiser exhaust it made 364 hp@5800 and 368 lb/ft.@ 4600.

MOP
06-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Very interesting approach! No need to worry about lunching an I/O from RPM!

Phil

Pismo
06-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Looks great, please update us when you can on performance changes, handling changes, bow lift issues when you get a chance.This is very interesting. The minx is a beauty.