PDA

View Full Version : Best place to mount stereo amp. in 22C?

Jamesbon
06-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Like the title says, where's the best place to mount an amplifier in a 22 Classic?

From what I can gather, it'd be nice to attach to the underside of the deck just forward of the stereo head unit. I think the deck is cored there and would provide clearance for "wood" screws, but man, that's allot of weight to support upside down, especially the way I drive :eek!:

Pics would be nice or first hand experience. I'm not looking to make a "show winner" here, just something practical, "easy" and "foolproof."

Also, shouldn't I have a fuse in the 2 "aut" hot line coming from the hot side of the batt. switch to the amp./hot terminal block under the dash?

As always, thanks for your input! :)

Jamesbon
06-11-2007, 08:08 PM
Oh yeah, if anyone's doing the same thing near by, GET SOME "OFF" mosquito spray!!! Jesus! I just pulled a new #2 hot wire from the engine compartment to the dash, 45 minutes and 13 bites later, I'm ready for the next step!

With that said, the worst thing about "puttin" sound systems in, is pulling freaking wires. Sounds simple, but then factor in removing access panels, seats, existing speakers so you can grab the snake (tape measure :) ), and it's 95 plus HUMIDITY!!! This sh*t better work!!!

...just venting...

Little GTO
06-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Hi Nathan,
I wish I was closer than 6000 miles and I would come over and help you. I used to do stereo installs for a living. I don't know the Donzis (yet) but in my experience in my boats and off road vehicles, you're better off to mount on a vertical surface, so that you are not pulling directly on the threads, rather, the shear force of the screw is in play instead, which is much stronger than threads in balsa core and fibreglas. The best of course would be on the bottom somewhere, but that is hard to find in a boat, and also subject to moisture.
Anyway, good luck. Just make sure you have power wires, + and ground (big, say 10ga or bigger) coming directly from the battery. Don't try to run your stereo from the ignition switch or any connections under the dash. You'll wind up chasing alternator noise and ignition noise. What I use is coax cable. RG-213 or RG-8, used for radio antenna connections. It's shielded, easy to run (as it's really only one cable, one inside the other) and available at any Radio Shack or similar stores.
Cheers
Paul

Dr. Dan
06-11-2007, 10:47 PM
:wink:Nate... I have seen units mounted on the Bulk Head in the Engine bay... fabricated Brackets are Thru Bolted behind the Seat to make it Bullet Proof, padding can be added to the Bracket to Cushion the Blows, and securing the Amp or components is alot easier.

I have also seen Units underneath...but access is bad and no matter where it is under the Ski Locker area... something else always finds its way to bouncing all around it in a 22 Classic... ask me how I know this.

Good Luck

Doc :smash:

Ranman
06-11-2007, 11:00 PM
Nate it can be done! I have had an issue with the large amp coming loose as you can only get so much grip on a #12 X 1/2 sheet metal screw going towards the deck. :eek!::eek!:

My solution? I 4200'ed two 1" X 1/2" X 8" strips of wood to the underside of the dash and then screwed to the wood. Much better! the 4200 has some wicked holding power.

On a 22C, I always figured you could 4200 the wood strips to the outside of the ski locker and screw in from there. No like anyone's ever gonna see it.

Check the bottom of this thread to see pics of how I am setup.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47809&page=2

slapshot11
06-12-2007, 06:07 AM
My amp is located on the floor of the ski locker and I have to say that it's less than ideal. Both wires and amp always seem to be in the way. In fact, I'm thinking of removing it all together. I like Docs idea of the engine compartment.

glashole
06-12-2007, 06:57 AM
I would not recommend installing the amp in the engine compartment
although it is the easiest and may look the best based on your installation you always have to worry about sparks etc..

9 times out of 10 you will be fine however gas fumes may always be present etc..

why not through bolt it to the inside of the front compartment in the open space directly beside the ski locker (directly in front of the passenger)

it may be a pain to wire initially however it would have lots of cooling space, be out of the way, and would never been seen :)

Shea

Woodsy
06-12-2007, 07:40 AM
Hey Guys!

On my 97 22c I mounted my amps vertically on ski locker under the nose. The key was to mount the amps on the outside surface so you can still use the locker. I used an SST pan head screw and so as not to snag anything I put in the locker. I mounted a bazooka tube firing forward directly in front of the ski locker. Mount a fuse block/ terminal block using 5200 to the side of the ski locker for ease of wiring. Be sure to use some sort or wire wrap to protect the wires from chafing.

Any issues pm me and I'll be happy to help out!

Woodsy

Jamesbon
06-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Hey, thanks so much to all of you for the info. I'll use a little bit of all of your input in my final solution.

What works best for me is Ranman's idea. With that said, the 4200 is curing... :)

With the amp mounted directly overhead on wood strips, it should be a breeze to wire. I mounted it about the center line of the deck just where the deck coring starts. This way, all of the wires from the amp to the head unit are about 8 inches from each other. Maybe I'll post pics later, but the factory wiring behind the dash (rats nest) left much to be desired. Not bashing anyone, just the facts. When I do the dash and gauges, I'll have some cleaning up to do. It's not all bad though, everything works!!! :) ...for now :bonk:

Again, thank you to each and everyone of you who replied, you make this the best resource around for Donzi's, PERIOD! :yes: